Putting with the flag in

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone else struggle with this? For some reason I find it really off putting, especially with these poxy ball lifting devices. I know we're stuck with them for a while but I just can't get comforatble over a short putt with the flag in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone else struggle with this? For some reason I find it really off putting, especially with these poxy ball lifting devices. I know we're stuck with them for a while but I just can't get comforatble over a short putt with the flag in.

For me no it's cool

But I see my story as an advantage

I never was a club member properly until last year .. so it was flag in then

Before that me and my mates didn't bother we left it in most of time

Unless society event ofc

But just for me it's not alien

But I can see how for people playing 30 years or whatever one way how it's a head Messer

Considering covid has removed the option

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, love putting with the flag in. Wish the rule would remain forever.

I never want to make a fuss in my group and almost always follow a rule of "once it's out it stays out" (in pre-C19 days) to limit faffing around with the flag hokey-cokey. So sometimes I do end up putting with it out when I'd probably rather it was still in.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've never had a problem with it.
In fact I think it helps me.
I've played a lot of solo golf down the years and always left the pin in because it was a faff taking it out.
I hit my putts aiming to hit the middle of the flag. At that pace they will almost certainly drop
I've just carried that over to normal play now.
It stops me being tentative on short ones.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, love putting with the flag in. Wish the rule would remain forever.

I never want to make a fuss in my group and almost always follow a rule of "once it's out it stays out" (in pre-C19 days) to limit faffing around with the flag hokey-cokey. So sometimes I do end up putting with it out when I'd probably rather it was still in.

When they bring the rule back I want 2 ammendments

1. It's out or in.. attended not an option..if your putting from miles away and it goes close it's either going in or isn't. Science proves this. Don't waste people's time.

2. Once it's out. It's out

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really struggle with short putts with the flag in. Basically putts I think I can hole I prefer flag out. Anything over 15 feet more than happy with it in.

For some reason in my mind hole looks smaller with flag in.

Exactly this. And then add in the extra width of the ball lifter and it just messes with your eye and head

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I really struggle with short putts with the flag in. Basically putts I think I can hole I prefer flag out. Anything over 15 feet more than happy with it in.

That's your mindset, see the flag as an aid.
Unless of course your flags are too thick and/or hanging at an angle preventing the ball going in the hole.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think my subconscious almost tries to avoid the middle of the hole, on short putts, because I want to avoid hitting the pin. So I almost hit to the side of the pin, which of course means that the target shrinks quite a bit.

Unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to fight my subconscious.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
That's your mindset, see the flag as an aid.
Unless of course your flags are too thick and/or hanging at an angle preventing the ball going in the hole.
Putting with it out for 47 years might have something to do with it.;) Before the rule changes I would putt with the flag out from huge distances, as I really hated pin being attended.:eek:

Defintely from short distances in my head I can see putt hitting pin and bouncing out.:(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think my subconscious almost tries to avoid the middle of the hole, on short putts, because I want to avoid hitting the pin. So I almost hit to the side of the pin, which of course means that the target shrinks quite a bit.

Unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to fight my subconscious.
That is me exactly James, subconsciously aiming to the side of the pin. Trouble with golf, so much is in the head.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not a fan of flags with the lifting device, too much time wasted turning them so the ball doesn't bounce off. Thankfully my course just uses a bit of plastic piping so no need to mess about. The group I play with left it in anyway prior to covid so it hasn't affected us.

For me, I use the base of the flag as a point to aim for on shorter putts so I use it as a positive, an aid in effect.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hate having the flag in on short ones.
Especially one with a break in it.
If the holes cut nice and the flag is straight it’s ok but anything else just puts me off.
The hole looks smaller. I was always a hit the back of the hole putter but just can’t make myself do this with the flag in.
Long putt no problem.

Mandofred

Visit site
If all the flags were the thin at the bottom type....I'd be fine with them in forever. Or....to make the people (I don't think it's possible) who complain about this all the time.......leave the "skinny bottom" flag in all of the time, but enlarge the hole a half inch or so to compensate for the flag taking up that space.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It won’t last forever this is only a COVID rule.
Any player can have it out anytime they want.
It was brought in to speed up play but have seen times it makes it worse.
Let’s not forget before it was always out (or attended.)