Putting with the flag in

D

Deleted member 23344

I don’t mind either way ... I can putt badly with the flag in or out.

D

Deleted member 3432

Wanting the flag out doesn't make you a slow playing dinosaur. I am neither and I like the flag out.

I agree with you but if if you look back to the 2019 thread there are some beauties of opinions about the impact of leaving the stick in/taking it out.

AliMc

Visit site
Prefer it out on shorter putts but either way the fact that we will be able to lift it out will be a sign that we are getting back to normal ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People tend to remember the bad outcomes more than the good. I wonder how often amateurs make 8' putts? Pros make an average of 34% 5'-10' putts
That’s true but is there a stat for how many pros leave the flag in?
From watching them there isn’t many.

If you don’t like it in then your already thinking about it.
But it won’t be forever.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Of all the (negative) thoughts to come into my head when playing golf the flag isn't one of them. I've already holed one putt outside 10 feet this year so I'm telling myself it's a good thing

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People tend to remember the bad outcomes more than the good. I wonder how often amateurs make 8' putts? Pros make an average of 34% 5'-10' putts

True, but they are putting on greens at 13 on a stimp with some tough pin placements.
Put them on a flat putt, at 11 on the stimp, and I bet very quickly they would be banging them in.

Smiffy apart, I don't remember seeing anyone putt off the green. Two pro's last week putted into the water.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
well now I know... no, you can get stuffed and play with other flag in fanatics. :ROFLMAO:
someone has to walk to that flag rather than be marking their ball and getting a line.
And tended flags now would make me erupt inside quietly

I don’t get why you’d need to touch it if it doesn’t need to be touched. Work, home, anywhere I operate with maximum efficiency. The quicker I go round, is better those behind and quicker I’m in the bar after.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
well now I know... no, you can get stuffed and play with other flag in fanatics. :ROFLMAO:
someone has to walk to that flag rather than be marking their ball and getting a line.

I don’t get why you’d need to touch it if it doesn’t need to be touched. Work, home, anywhere I operate with maximum efficiency. The quicker I go round, is better those behind and quicker I’m in the bar after.
Ah right, so your way is the only right way.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And tended flags now would make me erupt inside quietly.

Absolute tosh. The nearest player takes the flag out while the others are lining up and then lines his/hers up when the others are putting. The first to hole out picks up the flag and replaces it. No time at all lost.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Anyone else struggle with this? For some reason I find it really off putting, especially with these poxy ball lifting devices. I know we're stuck with them for a while but I just can't get comforatble over a short putt with the flag in.
I think this is the issue - not so much pins. I understand why they have been put in, but I cannot stand them.

Mandofred

Visit site
It's just one of the strange things in life. For some (me), I just don't care if the pin is in or out......although I would really like the flags that are skinnier at the bottom. But...it's the same for everybody. Some people hate them....fair enough. Some people hate playing in the wind, I don't mind....or the rain...or the cold very much. Hitting bad shots....now my blood boils!!

D

Deleted member 1147

I think this is the issue - not so much pins. I understand why they have been put in, but I cannot stand them.
We have some foam at the bottom of the pin to stop the ball going all the way down to the bottom of the hole.
It's better than the ball lifters.

D

Deleted Member 1156

How much time do you honestly think is lost over the course of a round removing and replacing flags? I reckon maybe a couple of minutes. There are far more efficient ways of speeding up a round of golf.

TigerBear

Visit site
Hate it when we have our thicker pins in, wind can cause the pin to lean at certain angles making it impossible for the ball to drop and the fury bounce outs.

Can't wait for this Covid rule to be relaxed.

Mandofred

Visit site
Hate it when we have our thicker pins in, wind can cause the pin to lean at certain angles making it impossible for the ball to drop and the fury bounce outs.

Can't wait for this Covid rule to be relaxed.
I believe it's still legal for a playing partner to hold the flag straight.....usually with a club in these Covid days....