Putting with different balls

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23270

I've read many times that people have improved their putting by sticking to the same ball. Personally, I have never noticed any discernible difference between different balls. They are all round, same size and weight. Given the imperfections in greens causing uneven bounce and roll, has anyone seen any scientific proof that a 'distance' ball or a 'soft' ball perform differently or is it all down to personal impressions? Do people get fooled that a firm ball with a louder click off the clubface goes further or does it indeed actually go further?

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I started using Srixon AD 333 instead of lake balls i massively noticed how different putting felt. No science behind it but you can easily test for that. I expect that it doesn't go much different, but if it helps you hit the right weight, then it will go better.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Using an insert putter the type and model of ball can have a significant impact on the result from the same stroke.
Then again two apparently different balls from different manufacturers can perform almost exactly the same!
The reason is that you are only using the outer cover and outer layer when putting (normally) and these can be quieter different.
I've been known to switch balls when the greens aren't rolling the way they look - works for me.
All combinations will be different and you need to compare you, with your putter and the balls you use.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it's just the removal of one of many variables. Are the other variables greater? Absolutely. But is there any harm in have one less variable?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it is more that different balls are designed to play with more spin than others etc. Its more a case that you'll get better results sticking with one ball as it should spin and play the same each time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's just the removal of one of many variables. Are the other variables greater? Absolutely. But is there any harm in have one less variable?
Exactly what I was going to say. It's one less thing on your mind I guess. When you find a golf ball you like and stick to it, you know how it's going to feel and sound whenever you putt.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm not convinced to be honest. Titleist claim there is a distance differential of something like 6 yards between their longest and shortest balls on full shots so I don't see how hitting a ball with the swing speed generated by a normal putt is going to affect the distance by more than maybe a few millimetres.

I understand the argument (and agree with) about removing a variable from the equation but I reckon the rest of it is in the player's head.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not convinced to be honest. Titleist claim there is a distance differential of something like 6 yards between their longest and shortest balls on full shots so I don't see how hitting a ball with the swing speed generated by a normal putt is going to affect the distance by more than maybe a few millimetres.

I understand the argument (and agree with) about removing a variable from the equation but I reckon the rest of it is in the player's head.

I don't think anyone would really think there was a distance difference on putts?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A softer ball normally needs more of a whack to get them to the hole. Some prefer this as they perform a full stroke, whereas if you have a harder distance ball it can lead to a more stabby putting stroke.

I tried a Wilson Staff DX3 Urethane vs my Srixon AD333 and felt a huge distance. Felt I put the same stroke on both, the AD333 made it just past the hole, the DX3U was about 2 feet short!

D

Deleted member 23270

I don't think anyone would really think there was a distance difference on putts?

The comment below would suggest people do! But I'm inclined to agree with you.

A softer ball normally needs more of a whack to get them to the hole. Some prefer this as they perform a full stroke, whereas if you have a harder distance ball it can lead to a more stabby putting stroke.

I tried a Wilson Staff DX3 Urethane vs my Srixon AD333 and felt a huge distance. Felt I put the same stroke on both, the AD333 made it just past the hole, the DX3U was about 2 feet short!

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I may have not hit the same stroke, highly likely as I'm human and not robot:D. But that was what I felt. I would have been able to hit the DX3 firmer to get the same distance as the AD333.

I personally play a DX2 Optix at the minute. My biggest issue is driving, and hitting a slice. So I've moved to a distance, less spinny ball to straighten me up slightly. :)!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Even if it is in your head, that's still a valid reason. As they say, the game is played between the ears. Removing a variable or any thoughts of how the ball is going to behave can only be good.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Different balls do putt to different distances (if you put it to a proper test) even different versions of Prov1s. Some make and types can be so close to see no real distinction.

I know there are players that say the cannot feel the difference between balls but I certainly can and when choosing which balls I buy the first thing I do is to test them on the putting green. Personally I dislike balls that have a slight or more clicky feel eg even the Prov1 X (latest version) I dislike for this reason.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally I play on fast slopey greens and I think it makes a difference. I changed the make of balls a while ago because I won a box of them. I found I was missing putts because the ball was going too fast and not taking the break I was expecting and ending up with a long putt back. I went back to my original and got my touch back.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Other than feel, I think different distances the ball rolls on the green to be nonsense. That being said regardless of the truth of this, you believe what your head tells you. I would listen to my head as what I believe is important, regardless of truth. The games in the head.

I would never play with different balls as you get to trust, rightly or wrongly, what a ball is likely to do. If it does not affect you then more power to you.....it certainly does me

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have quite a few Nike rzn platinum. I also have an indoor putter mat. Historically, my ball of choice is the proV1x. If I change from the x to the rzn, I leave the rzn short for a while, until I adjust. They do need a whack. Once I am used to them again I am fine. Then I hit the x long.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
May not be any noticeable difference in distance with a putter, but would need a scientific test to prove/disprove that. I would think there could be a small difference given the components of balls and their firmness, but probably not enough that I could tell.

However, putting is all about feel for me, and i know a softer ball, like a chrome soft, feels very different to a Pro V and that makes me more confident and maybe, just maybe, makes my putting stroke smoother and straighter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was trying a milled Odyssey protype #9 the other day with an AD333 Tour and a TM TP5 and repeated it with an O-Works Fang with it's insert. From 3 feet there was no real discernible difference but on a 20 foot putt trying to hole out or leave it in a two foot circle, the milled putter and harder 3 piece AD333 Tour felt harder to control. There is clearly a huge element of human error and also personal preference as to the type of putter and ball used. It was a useful exercise, as I'm still hankering after the milled face going back in the bag but these tests showed a harder ball didn't work as well. Also the O-works was better suited