Putting - Which Grip ? Why ? Observations ?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OK, so what grip do you use when putting ? Why ? What difference have you noticed between the options ?

As I putted so appallingly at the weekend I decided I needed to just do something different from the conventional grip (use a counter balanced putter)

Today I opened up a new vista of possibilities by trying reverse overlap which I have used occasionally and for the first time the pencil and claw grips which took some online research to work out how to do them.

I was putting from 3ft, 6ft, 9ft and longer distances.

Interestingly the reverse overlap grip from 3ft gave me by far the best holing out stats with 29 out of 30 but the longer the distances the harder I found it to get the feel.

Claw grip I just could not get to grips with (forgive the pun)

Pencil grip took some time to work out where to hold on a 37" grip and experimenting with how many fingers etc.

Once I worked out what was comfortable I actually found that this was quite good and gave far more feel on longer putts than the reverse overlap but was not as good for holing out from 3ft.

Looks like I may try using different methods depending upon distances next time I play if I can remember what I am supposed to be doing.....

Perhaps you may convince me to try something else ? Armlock, unanchored belly putter etc though would not buy any new kit !

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My grip is almost standard but hands slightly apart. I used to have them together but I lowered my right hand about an inch and the putter felt far more stable going through the stroke.

I've tried other grips on the practise greens - reverse, claw, pencil etc - they all feel completely bizarre and alien.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use the standard Vardon grip for all clubs including the putter. It feels natural to me to grip the putter in the same way as I grip any other club. I'm certainly not a brilliant putter but I'm not a bad putter.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hold my putter with a sort of modified overlapping grip.
The putting grip is something I have refused to let anyone tell me how to have, as putting is so personal I feel it's what's right for you, as long as you can square the face at impact with the force required each time.

S17er

Club Champion
Visit site
Reverse for putts under 18ft and conventional for longer putts as have better feel for distance with the latter but more accuracy with the former.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reverse overlap for me .

I use length of swing to control distance and not 'hit it harder' for longer putts.

I suppose it comes down to expectations ie at what length of putt is a miss acceptable. If you watch a lot of the PGA stuff on sky they give the 'make' percentages and it makes one realise how quickly the numbers go down the further from the hole the ball is.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Left hand low, no overlap...tried a few variations of overlap with left hand low and really settled on where it's at now...I think!

Reason - overractive right hand (very right hand dominant).

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think it matters a jot the way your join your finger be it over lap, vardon, double over lap or 10 finger.

I do think it matters how you position the hands on the club in terms of weak or strong with each hand. My preference these days is a slightly weak left hand and stronger right so that they oppose each other.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t know if I’m weird, but I interlock like I do with my normal grip.

I found it keeps everything in place, and keeps my hands, arms and shoulders moving as a unit.

I did however, recently buy a putter with a large grip (by accident) and found this much better at keeping the wrists from becoming involved.

I actually believe the correct putter is more important, I changed from centre shafted, to heel shafted and immediately cured my tendency to push putts. This was recommended by Phil Mickelson on his secrets of the short game DVD.

By changing putter I’ve dropped from an average of 35 putts a round to 31, with my last two rounds being 26 and 29.

S17er

Club Champion
Visit site
Love LHL. Think a lot of people try it and find it too odd and go straight back to conventional too quickly.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fairly conventional for me although with a larger SuperStroke grip, reduced the hand movement

Was told by a coach that most of the kids coming through the US college system now go left hand low... felt too strange for me but certainly squares the shoulders up

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fairly conventional for me although with a larger SuperStroke grip, reduced the hand movement

Was told by a coach that most of the kids coming through the US college system now go left hand low... felt too strange for me but certainly squares the shoulders up

I have never understood the concept/thought process that says it squares the shoulders. If one hand is lower than the other how can the shoulders be square?

Mind you look at any long term golfer who has spent hours at practice and the trailing shoulder is always lower than the leading shoulder.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was taught reverse overlap in my first putting lesson back in 2010 and never changed it. It works well for me as puting is one of the best parts of my game. My putting issues stem from eye position and posture, when I get those right putting is by far my best part.

I don't see any reason to change at the moment, I do use the finger variant thought (left image) and never had my putter grip adjusted in a lesson since. If its been OKed by 4 different pros then I am happy that its the right one for me.

reverse-overlap-putting-grip-56a3d84a5f9b58b7d0d40aa4.jpg

The downside to this grip is it doesn't not limit the right hand (RH golfers) in any way. I think all my practice with a V-Easy early on in my golf career has prevented the right hand being an issue.

Last edited: