Putting-the Achilles heel

Adi_Dassler

Club Champion
Visit site
I have real problems with my putting, not with reading lines, I can do that to a reasonable level,its more the distance of the putts I have a problem with.

My Handicap is 15, but after a couple of weeks of counting putts I average 42 putts per round.I'm losing alot of strokes because of this and whilst I'm not super-competitive, I'd like to get down to single figures asap.

I'm happy with all other aspects of my game, my driving is pretty consistent, as are my irons and bunker play.

Any suggestions to help cure this festering problem?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Putting lessons?

I guess if you posted your putting stroke on here, there would be plenty of guys ready to rip it to bits (oops, sorry, meant to type 'give advice').

I would guess there is something fundamentally wrong with your stroke.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
impossible to tell without seeing what you do, but having a guess, do you break your wrists and 'hit' the ball?

A good putting stroke should basically be rocking the shoulders with your putter simply coming through without any extra 'hit'.

It could be this that is leading to eratic distance control?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
It is impossible to tell without a video, so I will add to the wild speculation and say check your grip pressure. This can also cause you to "hit" the ball harder on occasions. Also do you have the putter upright enough a lot of people I know who are bad putters tend to have it to flat causeing a lack of distance control, poor quality of strike and pulls and pushes.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds to me as if there are 2 possibilities.
1. Your not letting the putter swing back far enough

2. You are swinging back far enough, but slowing down into the ball.

From my experience it's normally no.1.
Dont be scared to let the putter swing back and through
Try this.
On the long putts, widen your stance and make sure the putter reaches your right toe or even passed it on the backswing and just experiment with different lengths of backswing :)
Good luck

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm putting well this year, averaging 32/33/Rnd, but recently had 28 in a Medal I won, so it can & does make a huge difference.

In GM recently, Rory Mc was featured with what looked like some great Putting Drills, - the one I think could help you id without doubt the 'feel' drill.

Set yourself up for a longish putt and take a good look at it, then close your eyes and try and get it close.
Helps develop a better feel for distance apparently.

AND get a lesson to check your technique.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a putting lesson about 6 weeks ago and it has transformed my game. If you are looking for a training aid then the V-Easy is available soon or alternatively I use this to make sure my set up is good. You can also put tees behind the ball to restrict the backswing so you get a consistant swing and a feel for distance

http://www.newgolfirons.co.uk/product/2/201/Eyeline-Putting-Alignment-System.html

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
It sounds to me as if there are 2 possibilities.
1. Your not letting the putter swing back far enough

2. You are swinging back far enough, but slowing down into the ball.

From my experience it's normally no.1.
Dont be scared to let the putter swing back and through
Try this.
On the long putts, widen your stance and make sure the putter reaches your right toe or even passed it on the backswing and just experiment with different lengths of backswing :)
Good luck

in my case leaving it short is almost always down to No. 2.

I'm improving though with a slight change of stroke, oddly less back and firmer forward. I can now see the occasional round with no three-putts (not often I grant you) and have managed a very occasional sub-30 putt round.

there was someone who was going to have a putting aid for sale, which might help the sliders on the inside.