Putting Practice

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just trying to practice at home through the winter, I have purchased a putting mat to keep me ticking over.

Does anyone else suffer from a sore back when practicing putting?

How do you practice over winter?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an arc putting matt on the carpet, some putting gates and some phantom holes. Just work on start line with the gates and rolling it over the holes.

Just work on tempo of the stroke and putting a good stroke on it. Not bothered by speed at this point as its hard to judge on the carpet.

I work on my putting 3or 4 times a week, and have seen major improvements over the year.

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
Just trying to practice at home through the winter, I have purchased a putting mat to keep me ticking over.

A lot depends on your putting style. I reduced my putter to about 29", and crouch a lot, so yes, my back aches when I practice. What's really annoying is that I put well on the practice green ,a nd struggle when I get out there

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes.
When I am practicing at the club and on the carpet at home I only ever use two balls so that I take regular little walks.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I really struggle at home but can practice for much longer periods on the practice green. Like others, I find that at home 10 in a row on the putt out (not the tiny hole) is no real problem. Often wondered how much of an effect even a gentle breeze would have as on the putting green as 10 in a row outdoors seems harder... maybe it’s because people are casually watching.

Anyway, at home I’ll do about 5 minutes of differing distances, sometimes using balls as gates to ensure a dead centre strike etc and return to it again 30 minutes to an hour later.

Much prefer the real putting green, and the walking around certainly helps with any back ache’s etc. Then there’s the social side at the putting green. Putt for 30 mins and someone will walk past have a chat - maybe a little challenge etc. Much more interesting!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i don't really do any practice and just play over winter, might use the putting mat if we get snow and i can't play for a while.

getting pain while putting doesn't sound right, can't be good for you, pain is your body telling you something is not right.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another who seems to struggle putting for any length of time indoors but can easily do an hour on the green at the club. Maybe it's because I'm moving about more on grass and picking the ball out of the hole and moving more. I still prefer to get out onto a real green in winter when the time allows

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm intrigued by people saying it hurts their back. If you are getting lower back discomfort I'd suggest lots of hamstring stretching and lower back mobility stretches because you shouldn't be in pain putting as there is no much less tension on the body

Depends what age you are I suppose, I’m over 60 and I’ve got a putting mat that I’ve only used twice and after half hour or so I found I started to get aches in my back plus it gets rather boring after awhile.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Im not sure how beneficial putting on a putting mat will be. Especially months away from the season.

Of course you can improve your stroke, or become more consistent, but so much of putting is green reading and adjusting to the speed of the greens.

I’d say unless you are working on a change in technique, practice of this nature is marginal at best. Especially for an experienced golfer.

I tried this drill on the practice green where I place 4 balls around the hole at 3 feet, on a slope so that every putt was different. Then tried to make them all. I’d then replace all 4 and keep going. Got to 15 in a row.

On reflection I would miss a few early then when I’d done a couple of rotations I’d be able to knock in double figures consecutively. But in reality it was so much easier because I knew the exact line and speed so after a few minutes I was only practicing my stroke as I didn’t have to read each putt.

While it did improve my stroke, simply by doing so many putts it didn’t address a serious weakness of green reading.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Im not sure how beneficial putting on a putting mat will be. Especially months away from the season.
Of course you can improve your stroke, or become more consistent, but so much of putting is green reading and adjusting to the speed of the greens.

But that's what most who practice putting are trying to achieve, a reliant, repeatable stroke that ensures the ball starts (and stays) on the intended line. As most pros practice putting for as long as, if not longer than, other parts of the game, and many have their own artificial greens, I think there are definite benefits.

Yes, you still need to learn to read greens, and that can only really be achieved from playing on course, but if you can't consistently roll putts down your intended line even the best green reading will be wasted. Tolerances on strike are very fine - ask anyone who has used a SAM putting lab and they will know how just a few degrees variance at impact can be the difference between sinking and missing even quite short putts.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
But that's what most who practice putting are trying to achieve, a reliant, repeatable stroke that ensures the ball starts (and stays) on the intended line. As most pros practice putting for as long as, if not longer than, other parts of the game, and many have their own artificial greens, I think there are definite benefits.

Yes, you still need to learn to read greens, and that can only really be achieved from playing on course, but if you can't consistently roll putts down your intended line even the best green reading will be wasted. Tolerances on strike are very fine - ask anyone who has used a SAM putting lab and they will know how just a few degrees variance at impact can be the difference between sinking and missing even quite short putts.

I disagree that most pros practice putting more than other parts of their game. Although appreciate there's no way of knowing this and people's routines will change a lot from week to week as they identify strengths and weaknesses.

There are also people who see putting as a science and others who see it as an art. I am defiantly of the art variety.

And definitely not saying there aren't benefits, just that they are probably more marginal than other forms of practice. Albeit, appreciate there isn't too much you can do at this time of year unless you can get out during the day or spend a few quid on range balls a few times a week.

Wolf

Visit site
Depends what age you are I suppose, I’m over 60 and I’ve got a putting mat that I’ve only used twice and after half hour or so I found I started to get aches in my back plus it gets rather boring after awhile.
Even more reason to stretch the muscles mentioned for greater longevity and less pains

Visit site
I gave a putting tip to someone today on how to judge length of stroke for the length of putt. Saw him after his round and he was well happy with the results. He had a smoother more rhythmic swing instead of the hit he was doing. I've just got to crank his irons now.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm intrigued by people saying it hurts their back. If you are getting lower back discomfort I'd suggest lots of hamstring stretching and lower back mobility stretches because you shouldn't be in pain putting as there is no much less tension on the body

Several major back injuries including a chipped spine, general wear to all the joints with a loss of gap between them. I even get back ache if I have to work in some one else kitchen with the worktops set at standard height, particularly washing up bowls.