Putting Practice Routine

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm looking for ideas of a 20 minute putting practice routine that I can stick to week after week.

Something that has results so that I can measure how I'm doing and will put a bit of pressure on me to simulate pressure putts out there on the course.

Any suggestions for exercises to practice and how I could measure it?

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
This is what I do. 5 balls in the middle of the green I putt four of them to the fringe (one ball in each direction) then walk round and putt them all back to the fifth ball I left in the middle (repeat 2/3 times). Then I line up a 10-12 foot putt and putt 5 balls with my eyes fixed on the ball(don't folow the ball as it leaves), then 5 balls looking just at the hole, and finally 5 with my eyes closed. Then I repeat in reverse closed/hole/fixed.

I feel this drill gets my feel for pace and distance control quite nicely.

20 putts from 3 feet, 10 from 4 feet and 5 from 5 feet start from beggining if one is missed is also a good one but it can take ALOT longer than 20 minutes if stroke is off :p

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
sorry I read your post again if it is pressure you want then it is definatley the second drill. When you are on the five foot putts knowing a miss will send you back to start the tension mounts with each one.

Mickleson does a simmilar thing he does not leave the green until he makes 100 putts in a row from 3 feet. When people are watching they start to shout 96! 97! 98! AWWWW!! missed one back to the start!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I quite often put 4 or 5 balls down on a straight putt, each ball about 18 inches further away with the first one 2 feet away. Knock them in one after the other. If you miss one, start again. If you get them all in, move them a foot further away.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
6 or 8 balls around a hole starting from dustbin lid length, miss one start again, get them all move them out further.

lag putting, four balls putted into the dustbin lid from 3 or 4 varying distances (depends on how long/wide your putting green is), get all four into the dustbin lid at each distance before moving on, miss any go right back to the start

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
The drill above is certainly the best for building pressure. Using 3 balls I do 10 from 3 feet, 10 from 4 feet than 10 from 5 feet. Having to retrieve each set of 3 means you don't just just get your stroke going and repeat 10 times. The last ball, to complete the set of 10 is all on it's own and a real pressure putt. I do go home for my tea if I can't complete the whole lot though :D

I also practice putts from 10 to 15 feet as you leave an awful lot of these in a round. You should NEVER 3 putt at this range and should make a reasonable number. Further out than that is all about pace so for me it's pointless practicing as the pace varies day to day and course to course and you have to pick up the pace from a quick practice on the day.