Putting issues

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
Ok. Played today. 31 points without doing anything spectacular. In fact i only parred one hole.

knocked in 3 10 footers to secure a point, however, missed 4 (yep 4!) two footers for 2 points.

What the hell am I doing wrong, i cant be putting that bad, cos i am knocking in 10 footers.

Really frustrating, i left 4 points out there today.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds like it could be a long backswing and a short follow through.

Place a second ball about 4-6in behind your putter and dont hit it on the backswing.
A narrow stance will also help.
HTH

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree a long backswing will make you decelerate and make poor contact. Short putts generally work better with a short positive stroke. A slow running ball will be affected more by any break.

If you were playing a Matchplay game and had putted to two foot and I said 'You can have that" You would then probably make a short quick stroke and hole it with no problem.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok. Played today. 31 points without doing anything spectacular. In fact i only parred one hole.

knocked in 3 10 footers to secure a point, however, missed 4 (yep 4!) two footers for 2 points.

What the hell am I doing wrong, i cant be putting that bad, cos i am knocking in 10 footers.

Really frustrating, i left 4 points out there today.

To this, was there a commonality in the 4 missed 2' putts. Did they all completely miss the hole left, completely miss right, or touch the sides left or right? Did they favor one side if they lipped out?

Or was there no commonality in those misses?

Where they all pretty much a ways flat & straight putts?

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
To this, was there a commonality in the 4 missed 2' putts. Did they all completely miss the hole left, completely miss right, or touch the sides left or right? Did they favor one side if they lipped out?

Or was there no commonality in those misses?

Where they all pretty much a ways flat & straight putts?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Not all straight and flat coach, Oxley is 100 yrs old and the greens have some borrows, they were also extremely quick yesterday (putted from range well tho)

Commonality, missed left.

Cheers

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

Not all straight and flat coach, Oxley is 100 yrs old and the greens have some borrows, they were also extremely quick yesterday (putted from range well tho)

Commonality, missed left.

Cheers

Sometimes with short putts, we expect to hole, are not quite as careful with aim oft times. When practicing check your putter face alignment really is square, may seem obvious but great deal of putts missed through face angle aim at address.
Although very short putts, still good to have 3 points of reference, ball, point couple inches in front that's on line to roll over, then aim is not just to the hole, but to an aim 'point' (size of say a tee) 'imagined' either, back dead center of hole, or back left center or back right center depending on slopes/borrow.

Check ball position hasn't got a little forwards in the stance, putter even aimed square at get go would then contact ball just a little further along the arc when the face angle would be pointing left of original aim point.
Nearer the hole any slight miss-aim is magnified.

Check you are staying rock solid still, move forwards a little through the through stroke, even if only with a weight movement left & you'll pull it. Cliche, but listen for it drop.

On a straight putt on the practice green. Or you can make it up at home if you have some smooth rug/carpet.

Get a couple alignment rods put them starting each side of the hole starting say only four inches from the hole obviously parallel & that are placed just a quarter inch wider than your putter is each side.
Place a ball 3' from the hole when you make your stroke within the rods is the putter path able to make that stroke without favoring a movement towards one side going back one side coming through - allowing for a very small arc very short putt so should be an almost straight putter path.

Within the rods you'll be able to see straight away if you are taking the putter back too much inside/outside as it will move neare or touch a rod & you'll be better able to see if the putter is working towards the hole through impact or is it coming left (as you were missing left) a ways to move too or touch the inside rod.

Last edited:

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
Sometimes with short putts, we expect to hole, are not quite as careful with aim oft times. When practicing check your putter face alignment really is square, may seem obvious but great deal of putts missed through face angle aim at address.
Although very short putts, still good to have 3 points of reference, ball, point couple inches in front that's on line to roll over, then aim is not just to the hole, but to an aim 'point' (size of say a tee) 'imagined' either, back dead center of hole, or back left center or back right center depending on slopes/borrow.

Check ball position hasn't got a little forwards in the stance, putter even aimed square at get go would then contact ball just a little further along the arc when the face angle would be pointing left of original aim point.
Nearer the hole any slight miss-aim is magnified.

Check you are staying rock solid still, move forwards a little through the through stroke, even if only with a weight movement left & you'll pull it. Cliche, but listen for it drop.

On a straight putt on the practice green. Or you can make it up at home if you have some smooth rug/carpet.

Get a couple alignment rods put them starting each side of the hole starting say only four inches from the hole obviously parallel & that are placed just a quarter inch wider than your putter is each side.
Place a ball 3' from the hole when you make your stroke within the rods is the putter path able to make that stroke without favoring a movement towards one side going back one side coming through - allowing for a very small arc very short putt so should be an almost straight putter path.

Within the rods you'll be able to see straight away if you are taking the putter back too much inside/outside as it will move neare or touch a rod & you'll be better able to see if the putter is working towards the hole through impact or is it coming left (as you were missing left) a ways to move too or touch the inside rod.

Thanks Coach...