Putting imagery or similar, a dissertation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
For my dissertation essay next year, I thought it would be good to see if there is any relation between imagery and sports performance, more importantly putting.

If anyone knows of any putting related imagery techniques or knows of a coach that uses one, could you please shout them out at me, so I can get researching now.

Regards.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not only putting but for using 'Imagery' in golf I would recommend the book 'Nail It' by Joe Hagen who devised the '3 Skills' golf teaching method. His system is all about using imagery to learn and improve golf skills.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Bob Rotella is a good place to look. I remember reading in one of his books (The Golfers Mind I think it was) about always visualising the ball going into the hole when you are putting. I try to do this and would say that it does help by stopping me from thinking that I might miss. I have found this helpful especially with those "missable" 4 footers. Book is on long term loan to a mate so can't look it up I'm afraid.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bob Rotella's "Putting Out Of Your Mind" is good.

It describes how Earl Woods taught Tiger to see an image of the hole while he was putting by getting him to roll a ball to a hole with his hand, then repeat the exercise with his eyes closed and 'seeing the target' in his mind.

Tiger has said that when he sets up for a putt, each time he looks up to the hole he 'takes a picture', then with his eyes towards the ball he still sees the hole in his mind.

It's not easy to do, but on the days when I manage it better than others I putt very well, especially for pace.

Traminator

Visit site
If you do not want to spend your time writing a dissertation essay, you can use a service that I myself often use. Tooly great service. Here you can find an essay on any topic or just order an essay. It is very simple and convenient. All essays are very high quality and they are quickly written. Personally recommend.
Great way of cheating.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess that most players putt using imagery - some will use such as 'aimpoint' that try to make it less so.

I look at a putt and imagine my line. In fact in my 'minds eye' I can often almost actually 'see' my line as a dark line along the surface of the green that I want my putt to follow.

That line doesn't always pop into my head - but when it does I often seem to get my putt fairly close. Of course that might just be because I look for a correlation between a good putt and when I 'see' the line very clearly. I probably forget the many times I've 'seen' the line and get it wrong...sometimes badly :)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
When an old thread gets opened up by a brand new member and the content contains links , it is spam

Please do not respond to it, report it to the Mods for removal instead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.