Putting experiment.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Recently, my putting has been pretty poor and I generally 3 putt three or four times a round.
Today I was messing around on the putting green when I tried one with my left hand below my right hand .......................... and it fell in!
My mates arrived and out on the course we went.
Having picked up on the first, my first putt in anger was a 20 footer for birdie, left below right and in it went!
I used this technique for the rest of the round AND DIDN'T 3 PUTT. :eek:
I was always hitting the ball along my target line and found it far more accurate than my normal putting.
Okay, I still misread a few, but still hit the ball along my intended target line.
A revelation caused by the fact that my action was no longer 'flicky' as my left wrist was far more rigid than before.
Long putts required more concentration due to the unfamiliar feel of the whole thing, but three footers were despatched with confidence.
I just thought I'd share this in the hope that it helps one or two of you.
Today's round may have been a fluke, this is still a work in progress, but I'm excited by it!!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
There are many different ways to grip the putter stand to it etc you have to have a grip and setup which is comfortable and promotes the ideal stroke for your putter type. Sometimes I practice on the putting green with left below right if feel I want less arms and more shoulders in my stroke, I'm pretty good inside 10ft with this grip but no better than I am with my ordinary grip and I'm better with my ordinary grip on mid to long range putts. To be a good putter you have to practice, especially from 6ft in. If you can give up 3 hours of your time a week to putt you will be surprised how good your putting can get. Go and get a lesson and work on it, the best putters also understand even good putts sometimes don't go in, moral of the story don't be too hard on yourself, don't overcomicate it and work on it

Wolf

Visit site
I remember watching a PGA tour event few years back and they had Jack Nicklaus in studio for a few holes, they cut to watching Harrington putting and they asked Jack about what he thought of Harrington using left hand low, he said if he had his time over again he would have started putting left hand low himself as it promoted a more even set up of the shoulders. Pretty high praise on the style of putting from the GOAT.

I've tried it myself and found I'm good on the 10foot and under putts, but do struggle for distance control on long putts.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve converted 3 of my playing partners to left hand low. All are putting markedly better. I agree that long distance putting takes a little more thinking about, but is that a bad thing really.
Stick with it and I’m not sure of your putter set up, but left hand low tends to suit a face balanced putter.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've been left low for a long long time. Look in the mirror when you take your grip, it levels off the shoulders.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a pretty decent putter already, if I have 32 putts I've putted poorly. Left hand low does print more even shoulders and a more solid lead wrist but I definitely feel I lose my freedom in my stroke. I putt with it sometimes on the putting green just for something to do but I definitely roll in more 15-20 footer with my ordinary grip, my ordinary grip though is a double overlap so my hands are pretty even, i also hold the putter more in the palms of my hands so I can just feel I rock my arms

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a pretty decent putter already, if I have 32 putts I've putted poorly. Left hand low does print more even shoulders and a more solid lead wrist but I definitely feel I lose my freedom in my stroke. I putt with it sometimes on the putting green just for something to do but I definitely roll in more 15-20 footer with my ordinary grip, my ordinary grip though is a double overlap so my hands are pretty even, i also hold the putter more in the palms of my hands so I can just feel I rock my arms
The lack of freedom in your stroke is kinda the idea with left hand low. It takes so much wrist out the stroke it’ll feel un-natural to most, if not all. Anybody that has used right hand low for a good time will battle that feeling moving over to left hand low.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
left hand low himself as it promoted a more even set up of the shoulders.

I have never understood why players say this

simple - bio mechanics
if your right hand is low your right shoulder is low
if your left hand is low your left shoulder is low

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The lack of freedom in your stroke is kinda the idea with left hand low. It takes so much wrist out the stroke it’ll feel un-natural to most, if not all. Anybody that has used right hand low for a good time will battle that feeling moving over to left hand low.

I get this. I can’t use left hand low at all. Feels so unnatural and my putting was worse. Which says something because my putting is crap anyway.!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site

simple - bio mechanics

That’s if your arms were straight right? Arms are bent though, particularly right arm on left hand low, so that might be determining factor in levelling out the shoulders.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

simple - bio mechanics

Have a look in a mirror while you so it.

Left hand low does level off the shoulders.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My problem is leaving putts short so I'm not sure left-low would help - don't people usually say it's a bit harder to generate power with it?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My problem is leaving putts short so I'm not sure left-low would help - don't people usually say it's a bit harder to generate power with it?

Shift your focus then.

Practice looking at the hole or putt with your eyes closed for a while.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a look in a mirror while you so it.

Left hand low does level off the shoulders.

Not for me. My body follows normal bio mechanics.

Is your right shoulder low as you stand normally. This often comes from hitting lots of golf balls. Mine used to be like it when I pounded the range a lot.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of people struggle with pace left hand low as they don’t alter the follow through.
The whole point with left hand low is to keep the club head low through impact and to keep the club head moving down the target line as long as possible. With that in mind you need to flow the club head through more after you hit the ball to maintain head speed. Just make the stroke longer post strike.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yeah I may try looking at the hole tomorrow. Think that could be more worthwhile than changing grips for me.
I tried this on a whim a month ago, and have been amazed at a couple of things. Firstly how many 10 to 15 footers I have holed, secondly that it didn't feel anywhere near as unnatural as I thought it would.
I have decided not to use it on really long putts (as the longer backswing is tougher to trust), and I still get confused on where to look if I tap in from close range without thinking about it. But for me I trust I'm lined up and let my subconscious do the "get the ball to the hole" thing. A lot less putts left short.
I'm sticking with it.