Putting experiment.

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
I putted left hand low for all of last season and although I didn't miss many short puts, I felt as though I lost the feel of the stroke, I have returned to a more standard putting grip with a few fingers overlapping as I feel that it allows my putting stroke to flow more naturally. As I feel more comfortable with my putting stroke I am now more confident and thus hole more putts.

I think in the end the key is whichever stroke you are most comfortable with, you are also more confident with, you then don't think about your stroke, just look at the target and let it flow.

Anyone struggling with their putting I would highly reccomend "putting out of your mind" by bob rotella, it is more about developing confidence around the putting stroke you have instead of constantly tinkering with things.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been putting my left hand below my right whilst putting for a couple of years and find it works well for me. I started doing it after a chipping lesson where I was encouraged to do the same, wasn't convinced it helped my chips however.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If it works... consistently then why not. I think it'll be something that needs to be worked on regularly to feel comfortable but a round with no three putts is always a special achievement

I wouldn't class a round with no 3 putts as a special achievement, I don't 3 put that often and I wouldn't class myself as a great putter.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm a pretty decent putter already, if I have 32 putts I've putted poorly. Left hand low does print more even shoulders and a more solid lead wrist but I definitely feel I lose my freedom in my stroke. I putt with it sometimes on the putting green just for something to do but I definitely roll in more 15-20 footer with my ordinary grip, my ordinary grip though is a double overlap so my hands are pretty even, i also hold the putter more in the palms of my hands so I can just feel I rock my arms

You must be a decent putter(y) if I have 32 putts I would be happy with that, I've tried left hand low and it feels to awkward for me.

Putting should really be the easiest part of the game, it's not really that hard to 2 putt from anywhere on the green,obviously there will be times when you 3 putt but I would be disappointed if I 3 putted on every round.

Whatever method is chosen a bit of decent practice should make you more consistent

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
4 or 5 of my friends have swapped to the claw (or pencil). I can do this and it helps if I am a bit yippy. I can't do left hand low though, I struggle to take it back square. It just seems to wander. I prefer standard, unless I am feeling a bit meh, normally the morning after a skin full.

Visit site
I have never understood why players say this

simple - bio mechanics
if your right hand is low your right shoulder is low
if your left hand is low your left shoulder is low
Totally agree. It doesn’t level off the shoulders, it can’t, not if you start from a level position then take your grip, which ever hand goes lower so will that shoulder. By the sounds of it there’s a lot of left below right players walking round with a permanent tilt to the right. 🤔

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Recently, my putting has been pretty poor and I generally 3 putt three or four times a round.
Today I was messing around on the putting green when I tried one with my left hand below my right hand .......................... and it fell in!
My mates arrived and out on the course we went.
Having picked up on the first, my first putt in anger was a 20 footer for birdie, left below right and in it went!
I used this technique for the rest of the round AND DIDN'T 3 PUTT. :eek:
I was always hitting the ball along my target line and found it far more accurate than my normal putting.
Okay, I still misread a few, but still hit the ball along my intended target line.
A revelation caused by the fact that my action was no longer 'flicky' as my left wrist was far more rigid than before.
Long putts required more concentration due to the unfamiliar feel of the whole thing, but three footers were despatched with confidence.
I just thought I'd share this in the hope that it helps one or two of you.
Today's round may have been a fluke, this is still a work in progress, but I'm excited by it!!

Technically, there is a lot to be said for putting left below right. it tends to mean your shoulders are level and generally takes out the stronger more dominant muscles in your right hand.

However, I think it may also be a case of a change helping to focus the mind and you may find as time goes on, your performance drops back to where it was.

I have tried it and initially had a bit of success, or at least perceived success. As time went on, I realised this simply wasn't natural for me and I really struggled with distance control on longer putts.

In reality, you will still need to practice a lot to become comfortable and productive on the greens.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Totally agree. It doesn’t level off the shoulders, it can’t, not if you start from a level position then take your grip, which ever hand goes lower so will that shoulder. By the sounds of it there’s a lot of left below right players walking round with a permanent tilt to the right. 🤔

So Jack Nicklaus didn't have his left shoulder about 6" about his right when putting?

Levels off my shoulders perfectly and I don't tilt to the right.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have never understood why players say this

simple - bio mechanics
if your right hand is low your right shoulder is low
if your left hand is low your left shoulder is low
Only if the angle at the elbows is the same! If (on left below) your right elbow is (quite) bent but your left elbow is (virtually) straight, then the above does not automatically hold true!

Left below virtually forces a levelling of the shoulders at setup.

Visit site
I’m not sure what point your trying to make but standing in front of mirror, right below left right shoulder is lower. Left below right, guess what....... Yep left is lower then right. Only way shoulders are level is when my palms face each other. But so long as your happy with your analogy then crack on.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a quick update.
Continued with left below right for today's round and, again, I had no 3 putts.
Two consecutive rounds without a three putt may not seem special to many, but it feels bloody great to me.
I've never been a good putter but, by using this method, my left wrist feels far more rigid and I feel that I'm taking the club back along the intended line without it snaking all over the place.
My accuracy is vastly improved and my confidence is really high as a result.
Bring it on!

Now, to sort out my chipping!!!!!

Wolf

Visit site
Just a quick update.
Two consecutive rounds without a three putt may not seem special to many, but it feels bloody great to me.
I've never been a good putter but, by using this method, my left wrist feels far more rigid and I feel that I'm taking the club back along the intended line without it snaking all over the place.
Bring it on!

I'd also say 2 consecutive rounds is good.

What is it about your chipping that causes you problems

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just a quick update.
Bring it on!

That's consistency. Sticking with it? What's wrong with the chipping. If you're in the mood for experimental look at the linear method

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd also say 2 consecutive rounds is good.

What is it about your chipping that causes you problems

That's consistency. Sticking with it? What's wrong with the chipping. If you're in the mood for experimental look at the linear method

If my approach misses the green I immediately go into negative mode as I know I'll probably have to chip or pitch for my next shot.
I then try to find a way of putting it, even if it's in the rough ............................ that's how bad I am at chipping/pitching.
Generally my first chip goes just a few feet as I've managed to slide the club under the ball as I try to scoop it into the air, and my second attempt is generally thinned!!
If it's a tight lie I'll usually fat the first one and then thin the next one.
Next week I'll experiment by using a putting action with anything from a 7 iron to a sand wedge.
I feel I need a far shallower action with less wrist action, but when I get to the ball I'm just in a state of panic and resignation!
Oh, I'm mentally weak too.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If my approach misses the green I immediately go into negative mode as I know I'll probably have to chip or pitch for my next shot.
I then try to find a way of putting it, even if it's in the rough ............................ that's how bad I am at chipping/pitching.
Generally my first chip goes just a few feet as I've managed to slide the club under the ball as I try to scoop it into the air, and my second attempt is generally thinned!!
If it's a tight lie I'll usually fat the first one and then thin the next one.
Next week I'll experiment by using a putting action with anything from a 7 iron to a sand wedge.
I feel I need a far shallower action with less wrist action, but when I get to the ball I'm just in a state of panic and resignation!
Oh, I'm mentally weak too.

Have you tried this drill?
Try and hit the ball under the shaft.
If you get it right the ball will go OVER the shaft

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I changed my grip slightly by extending my fore and index fingers of my right hand down the grip and by placing a little pressure on those two fingers finger tips I feel more in control of the putter. It was a little change but it helped.