Putting Aid Research - please fill out my quick survey!

Visit site
Hello, I am a Product Design student at the University of Dundee, this year I am designing a golf aid to help with putting and evaluating the market viability of it. I would like to use any information you give to me in my report.
Please take my quick 8 question survey linked below.
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/S28V7R9
Thank you for helping me out!

Visit site
I have contacted the R&A about this and unfortunately due to Rule 14-3 it would not be, however this does not stop the use of a green reading device as a training aid or for use when practicing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly confused ...out of competition there are already no end of ways to compare what you see with what's real; even within competition you get this feedback after you have hit the putt!
I used to carry a small spirit level, but now use a bubble app on the phone. Rolling the ball a few times is still the biggest simple tool to detail the greens underlying contours.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am not so much concerned with aids for reading the green. I think that is really something the player should do without technical help (at least during the round, I would not mind something that helps you when you practice aim point or a method like that to give you feedback on how exact your estimation was). But I would like something like the SAM putt lab in a small scale, affordable version that gives you detailed feedback on your stroke, club path, face alignment etc. I think many players who think they struggle reading the greens are actually struggling with a consistent putting stroke.

D

Deleted member 1147

I am not so much concerned with aids for reading the green. I think that is really something the player should do without technical help (at least during the round, I would not mind something that helps you when you practice aim point or a method like that to give you feedback on how exact your estimation was). But I would like something like the SAM putt lab in a small scale, affordable version that gives you detailed feedback on your stroke, club path, face alignment etc. I think many players who think they struggle reading the greens are actually struggling with a consistent putting stroke.

I think you'll find a lot of people struggle with a combination stroke and read

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A device that reads greens will.likely be illegal in competitions.

Cant see how it be fair me standing at one end of green reading a putt with my eye and the other end a bloke with a hand held device showing him the line to hit the ball on.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you'll find a lot of people struggle with a combination stroke and read

I think capella is highlighting that many think they are poor at reading, when they are actually poor at putting (or vice versa).
I agree with him.
Whilst this results in a combination issue you can't solve that if you don't know which bit you have wrong!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A device that reads greens will.likely be illegal in competitions.

Cant see how it be fair me standing at one end of green reading a putt with my eye and the other end a bloke with a hand held device showing him the line to hit the ball on.

I think the idea is to use it in practice to train the eye-a bit like slope reading on a dmd-can't be used in comps but fine for practice

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Yeah, that's what I meant. As long as you are not aiming where you think you are aiming (or not moving the ball in the direction you think you are aiming), you will probably draw wrong conclusions about the read from the line the ball took. (And no worries, Duncan, no offense taken :D)