Putter lesson/fitting

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Putting has always been my weak point in golf. I find nothing worse than than getting to the GIR and missing birdie putts or worse still 3 putting. I had a putter fitting many months ago and changed my old rossie 2 putter for a new XG9 toe weighted putter as the fitter said i had arc putt and this would help. In the beginning it did, probably because its new and a bit more concentration was used on my behalf. But lately ive got back into lacking confidence with my putting. Yesterday i was on the putting green and the pro came out with the ping app for putting, fixed it to my putter and registered my putting handicap as 22 :rolleyes:. He mentioned i was trying to keep the putter straight rather than using the toe weight on my putter for an arc swing. Luckily i had my old rossie putter in the boot. He connected the the ping app to my old rossie and low and behold a putting handicap of 10!. Kept with the rossie for the round and had my best days putting in absolute ages. For some reason ive obviously straightened my putting swing but didnt realise. Anyone else found this? Il probably be back to my normal self by my next round :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, at least you know what you are likely to be doing when it goes a bit haywire next time!

Whether you can adjust on the course is a different question though.

Shows the benefit of keeping the spare as a 'threat'!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funnily enough I got my Odyssey #9 as I was using an arced stroke. Went to an Odyssey demo day recently and the stroke has reverted to a more back and through stroke as it use to be. Decided to go back to a blade and opted for the Tank #1 and just need it to arrive now

GlasGolf

Hacker
Visit site
Hi All

I had my first ever putter lesson/fitting last week. I had previously used a Scotty that I won in a competition but was too short for me and recently I have been using an Odyssey #7 Metal X. It transpires that after using the ping app I have a strong arc so the mallet style of the #7 isnt ideal.

Moving back to a Scotty Newport Notchback now after having a try of that and also the GoLo - which I felt sat a little bit shut at address.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Putting for me is a mental game. I think it's all about hitting the ball with confidence. I went out yesterday and had no confidence with the putter. I was leaving things short because I didn't want to fly past, I was leaving things too low because I didn't want to miss and end up above the hole. Normally I go out and concentrate on hitting the hole which really helps. I don't think the club that I have in my hand has too much of an effect. Having said that I really couldn't get on with a belly putter as I feel a loss of control through not having the elbows and body tight.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Putting used to be a guessing game for me - I had no idea how to judge pace or read greens.
I didn't track my putting stats either so I don't know how bad I was but I know that I used to 3 putt more than once per round and hardly ever sank a putt.

My fortunes have changed significantly - I now average 30/31 putts per round and will typically manage over 27 holes between 3 putts. The secret to my success was reading about the mechanics of putting, understanding how to control distance and then practicing.

I haven't changed my putter (I use a ping anser) nor have I changed my putting grip.
The four steps I have worked on to improve my putting are here;
http://golfdrawer.com/tutorials/putting/