Putter fittng. What to expect?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
For a while now I've been mentioning about going back to a mallet-style putter.

I just feel more confident with a mallet over a blade-style putter.

I turn 30 on 28/2 and H.I.D has booked me in for a putter fitting with a local pro and given me licence to buy which ever I please.

Now. I have my eye on a specific Scotty Cameron (..... Well 2 actually) he has, obviuosly I'm going to try other manufacturers too, but, having never been C/F'd for anything I was wondering what is involved in a putter fitting?

Is it wise to take my current putter for comparison, or is that only really for irons and woods?

Any thoughts as always appreciated :thup:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there are a couple of elements. One is to determine whether you are a straight-back-straight-through (SBST) or use a gated stroke, where the putter opens and closes. This has an influence on the type of putter best suited to your stroke. The new Ping iCradle and putter app can help diagnose these. If you are SBST, then a face balanced putter probably suits best. For a gated stroke, a putter with toe hang (toe heavier then heel) is best. This is usually a heel shafted putter.

Next bit is to find what weight and length suit you. Weight is more about tempo and feel, but should also take into account the pace of greens you normally play. Length depends more on where your arms hang. Some fitters will advise to choose the shortest putter you are comfortable with.

If you go for a real hi-tech fitting, you may also get to try a putter with a laser light which shows where you are aiming at address and through the stroke. It is almost certain you are not aiming at your target - few golfers including Tour pros do. The fitting might examine whether that can be improved.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They'll also look at loft and lie, offset and where are your hands are basically looking to get the ball rolling well an on line. In effect there are trackman like things for putters.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I don't think it will be anything too technical. Probably just cover the basics, as you guys advise above.

The main thing for me is, once we narrow the choice, I'll be able to putt on an actual green, rather than on an artificial one in a shop.

Heres a silly question. People, especially on here, say feel is a big part in choosing a putter.

Say I get fitted for a particular type of putter, for arguments sake, say a face balanced, 2* upright putter at 33" as this suits my swing.

But

I prefer the feel of a different putter with different specifications?

Doesn't this make a mockery of the fitting process?

As I said, I've never been fitted for anything so I have no idea if the above statement holds true :mad:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I don't think it will be anything too technical. Probably just cover the basics, as you guys advise above.

The main thing for me is, once we narrow the choice, I'll be able to putt on an actual green, rather than on an artificial one in a shop.

Heres a silly question. People, especially on here, say feel is a big part in choosing a putter.

Say I get fitted for a particular type of putter, for arguments sake, say a face balanced, 2* upright putter at 33" as this suits my swing.

But

I prefer the feel of a different putter with different specifications?

Doesn't this make a mockery of the fitting process?

As I said, I've never been fitted for anything so I have no idea if the above statement holds true :mad:

I'd say the process has to allow for personal preference and feel. It's a bit like getting fitted for a set of irons. There are some clubs that many of us would rule out on the basis of visual appeal, how it sits at address etc. Putters are the same, if not more so.

Seve used to have his putter toe up, as he had very low hands in his putting stroke... a fitter would have said it was wrong for him, but it suited his eye and worked for him!

However, if you are going to the trouble of getting fitted, then I'd say you might as well buy into the valdiity of the fitting and go broadly for their recommendation, otherwise what's the point! Hopefully, the fitting can narrow it down to a selection of suitable models and lies, from which you can use feel and preference to make a final choice, so a bit of both approach.

A thought occurs... playing devil's advocate ;) ... what if the fitter says that with your stroke and set-up, the mallet head is wrong for you and you should stick with a face balanced blade... what would you do, given your preference for the mallet? :whistle:

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd say the process has to allow for personal preference and feel. It's a bit like getting fitted for a set of irons. There are some clubs that many of us would rule out on the basis of visual appeal, how it sits at address etc. Putters are the same, if not more so.

Seve used to have his putter toe up, as he had very low hands in his putting stroke... a fitter would have said it was wrong for him, but it suited his eye and worked for him!

However, if you are going to the trouble of getting fitted, then I'd say you might as well buy into the valdiity of the fitting and go broadly for their recommendation, otherwise what's the point! Hopefully, the fitting can narrow it down to a selection of suitable models and lies, from which you can use feel and preference to make a final choice, so a bit of both approach.

A thought occurs... playing devil's advocate ;) ... what if the fitter says that with your stroke and set-up, the mallet head is wrong for you and you should stick with a face balanced blade... what would you do, given your preference for the mallet? :whistle:

This is kind of the point I was making Monty.

Does a CF account for personal prefernce of is it just black and white, facts and figures?

My putting stroke used to be in-out-in, in a small arc.

However after a few putting lessons, my pro suggested that a straight back and through stroke may better suit me, and he was spot on. It took a little getting used to, but now my stroke is a lot more consistant.

I've always brought "off the shelf" clubs and to be fair, never had too many isues. Seeing as I'm getting towards the age where I may have to start considering PING, I thought why the hell not go for a CF and see what all the fuss is about.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What Scotty are you interested in Gareth?

According to the ping app I have a strong arc so best suited to a toe hang putter, but I really like the face balanced putters and they feel more stable for me. |I think putting is as individualistic as signatures so I would listen to the fitter and see if he can fit around your comfort factors as thats the most important part imo.

Someone mentioned seve, good example about comfort over technical fit, we are all unique and if strong arc putters putted great with toe hang we'd all be better putters but we're not.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does a CF account for personal prefernce of is it just black and white, facts and figures?

Seeing as I'm getting towards the age where I may have to start considering PING, I thought why the hell not go for a CF and see what all the fuss is about.

I would say if you are going to the trouble of a custom fit then you should go with what they suggest/recommend, its unlikley it will be one putter only so out of the 2-3 that are suited to you then choose based on your personal preferences.

Also, before you shell out for a Scotty (they are lovely, had one for a few years), and as you mention you are approaching the appropriate age bracket :rofl:, make sure you try the Ping Milled putters, these are great looking/feeling and If I bought again in that price bracket they would be on my list.

Good luck and Ill be interested to hear how you get on.....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
What Scotty are you interested in Gareth?

According to the ping app I have a strong arc so best suited to a toe hang putter, but I really like the face balanced putters and they feel more stable for me. |I think putting is as individualistic as signatures so I would listen to the fitter and see if he can fit around your comfort factors as thats the most important part imo.

Someone mentioned seve, good example about comfort over technical fit, we are all unique and if strong arc putters putted great with toe hang we'd all be better putters but we're not.

Interested in the Kombi-S Darth. I tried one a while back when I was in the market and loved it but was a little strapped for cash at the time.

Originally I had a Taylormade Vicino Mallet and loved it, but felt that the insert wasn't helping me on longer putts (anything over 20ft) and wanted to change to a milled face putter (See currnet one in Sig) to see how that felt.

I suppose I'm after a combination of the two. Milled face and mallet head.

I know Rife run a range of these so I may consider them, as well as the Odyssey TD 9 series.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the risk of boring everyone because I've mentioned it before, I'll repeat it in case you haven't read about it Gareth.

I was fitted for a putter in the middle of last year, courtesy of GM & AG.

I went with a totally open mind about what I'd walk away with because I'd always chosen what I fancied before and thought there was a lot of room for improvement in my putting.

Basically I'd always gone for 32" because I liked the way it got me right over the ball (even though Bobmac pointed out to me that I was aiming about 6" left on a 10' putt!), and I'd always had blade type putters with toe hang a) because my stroke is an arc and b) because I much preferred the look of them.

The fitting itself wasn't hi-tech with lasers etc, but they had a putter with a telescopic shaft and a hinged head.
Both joints were loosened and I addressed a ball, then the joints were tightened before I made a stroke so they could see the length and lie that I felt most comfortable with. The lie was standard but the length was 34"! That couldn't be right I thought so I had another go. 34.5". Then another at 34".

I was also happy to be told that with the 34" putter I was lining up straight to the hole instead of left. I can only assume that with the shorter shaft my eyes were outside the ball causing me to not be able to see the right line to the hole.

I was given a 34" blade putter that I liked the look of and hit a few. The fitter noticed that the head was wobbling a bit on the takeaway so he tried me with a mallet and that was much steadier. Because I liked blades he gave me an Odyssey #7 which although it's a mallet, all the edges are more or less straight giving the impression of a blade type putter rather than a true mallet with it's semi-circular back.

A few more goes with that and I was sold. He lined the ball name up with the hole and time after time not only was the ball going to the hole but the name was still rolling perfectly end over end when the ball went in.

So after all that waffle, my point is to trust them. Left to my own devices I'd never have chosen the length, type or shape that they thought would be best for me.

I'm not saying I'll never get another putter (I can't because I've already done it!) but any putter I do buy will conform to the specs that I was fitted for.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
At the risk of boring everyone because I've mentioned it before, I'll repeat it in case you haven't read about it Gareth.

I was fitted for a putter in the middle of last year, courtesy of GM & AG.

I went with a totally open mind about what I'd walk away with because I'd always chosen what I fancied before and thought there was a lot of room for improvement in my putting.

Basically I'd always gone for 32" because I liked the way it got me right over the ball (even though Bobmac pointed out to me that I was aiming about 6" left on a 10' putt!), and I'd always had blade type putters with toe hang a) because my stroke is an arc and b) because I much preferred the look of them.

The fitting itself wasn't hi-tech with lasers etc, but they had a putter with a telescopic shaft and a hinged head.
Both joints were loosened and I addressed a ball, then the joints were tightened before I made a stroke so they could see the length and lie that I felt most comfortable with. The lie was standard but the length was 34"! That couldn't be right I thought so I had another go. 34.5". Then another at 34".

I was also happy to be told that with the 34" putter I was lining up straight to the hole instead of left. I can only assume that with the shorter shaft my eyes were outside the ball causing me to not be able to see the right line to the hole.

I was given a 34" blade putter that I liked the look of and hit a few. The fitter noticed that the head was wobbling a bit on the takeaway so he tried me with a mallet and that was much steadier. Because I liked blades he gave me an Odyssey #7 which although it's a mallet, all the edges are more or less straight giving the impression of a blade type putter rather than a true mallet with it's semi-circular back.

A few more goes with that and I was sold. He lined the ball name up with the hole and time after time not only was the ball going to the hole but the name was still rolling perfectly end over end when the ball went in.

So after all that waffle, my point is to trust them. Left to my own devices I'd never have chosen the length, type or shape that they thought would be best for me.

I'm not saying I'll never get another putter (I can't because I've already done it!) but any putter I do buy will conform to the specs that I was fitted for.

Sounds like good, sound advice R3.

In an ideal world, I'd love to go with a mallet style putter, but if the fitter, as in your case, proves a different head would suitr my game, so be it.

Can I ask R3, how long did your fitting take?