Putter fitting:

shane3003

Visit site
After trying the new TaylorMade Spyder X this week I’ve decided I want to have a putter fitting.

Any recommendations south of Oxford / Milton Keynes?
I was looking at Precision Golf, anyone been?
Ideally want to make sure they have TaylorMade, Ping and Scotty Cameron as these are the brands I’d like to consider.

Thanks

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He has a point that if you practice a lot you should improve. But if your stroke naturally suits a putter with toe hang and you pick a face balanced one, or vice versa, you will make the game harder for yourself, so much of that practice will be spent overcoming the putter's unnatural fit.

No, I'm not suggesting that all the great putters were lucky; I would however suggest they have a much better understanding of how the swing works and therefore what suits them. They've also got more access to different putters & the opportunity to test them privately.

Over the years I've worked out the hard way that a centre shafted putter suits me best. I now know WHY it suits me best. If that knowledge is now available why waste it; this game is supposed fun at our level, why make it harder than it needs to be?

And that’s exactly why I’ve taken my flawed approach according to SB!

I’m also factoring in length, weight and more key for me of putter loft. I have played around with set up effected the loft and the effort it had on roll is very evident.

Why manipulate the set up when these option are in the market place?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Harder to sum it up better than that.

A well fitted putter will not make a bad putter good if they don't put in sufficient practice.

I’m under no illusion that I have taken my eye off the ball with my putting practice, but at the same time if I’m going to knuckle down like I did in 14/15 then why do so using a putter that doesn’t suit my stroke fully? I’d only be struggling for the sake of struggling sakes. The same argument could be said for a high capper using blades, still “ technically functional “ so should they just constantly use these and practice?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m under no illusion that I have taken my eye off the ball with my putting practice, but at the same time if I’m going to knuckle down like I did in 14/15 then why do so using a putter that doesn’t suit my stroke fully? I’d only be struggling for the sake of struggling sakes. The same argument could be said for a high capper using blades, still “ technically functional “ so should they just constantly use these and practice?

If a high handicapper can learn to hit blades I think a person can learn to hit the putter they like.

I’m not against fitting, my opinion is people should find the putter they like and stick with it until something significant changes, not just a few bad rounds.

You are welcome to differ in your opinion to mine, that’s fine.

Last edited:

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After trying the new TaylorMade Spyder X this week I’ve decided I want to have a putter fitting.

Any recommendations south of Oxford / Milton Keynes?
I was looking at Precision Golf, anyone been?
Ideally want to make sure they have TaylorMade, Ping and Scotty Cameron as these are the brands I’d like to consider.

Thanks

Heard good things about AB golf just outside Thame and Johnny Draycott at Drayton park near Abingdon.

User20204

Visit site
I think some people think a putter fitting will suddenly have them holing everything in sight, they need to wake up and understand hard work will improve things a lot more than a simple fitting.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think some people think a putter fitting will suddenly have them holing everything in sight, they need to wake up and understand hard work will improve things a lot more than a simple fitting.

Even when the fitting proves that the putter configuration actually works against your natural alignment tendencies?

User20204

Visit site
Even when the fitting proves that the putter configuration actually works against your natural alignment tendencies?

Regardless of a fitting, and I'll state again, I believe in them, you still need to be rolling the ball on the right line at the right pace to hole putts, no fitting is going to do that for you.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Regardless of a fitting, and I'll state again, I believe in them, you still need to be rolling the ball on the right line at the right pace to hole putts, no fitting is going to do that for you.

Yes, and to do that you need a putter that works with you, not against you; if you choose a putter that works against your natural alignment tendencies your chances of rolling the ball on the right line are greatly reduced.

User20204

Visit site
I don't think anyone is suggesting that it is, but it's more help than buying one that's unsuited to your stroke because it looks pretty.

No one is disputing that however, you seem to imply it will revolutionise someone/anyone's game when in actual fact good old fashioned hard work practising will have a far bigger benefit beit the correct putter or not.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
No one is disputing that however, you seem to imply it will revolutionise someone/anyone's game when in actual fact good old fashioned hard work practising will have a far bigger benefit beit the correct putter or not.

Having a putter that actually suits your eyes, rather than looks nice, will revolutionise your putting as you will stop fighting the putter in order to aim it correctly. Yes, you will still need to work on your stroke to improve other aspects of it, but you won't have to fight your mind's tendency to mis-aim because you have the wrong type of putter for your eyes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having a putter that actually suits your eyes, rather than looks nice, will revolutionise your putting as you will stop fighting the putter in order to aim it correctly. Yes, you will still need to work on your stroke to improve other aspects of it, but you won't have to fight your mind's tendency to mis-aim because you have the wrong type of putter for your eyes.
I think you are 100% correct and most people on here are realistic enough to recognise a fitted putter isn't a silver bullet. However as you rightly point out having the tool suited to the task will make the job easier. I have finally stopped flip flopping and picked a putter I know works for me (Odyssey protype #9 milled) but more importantly have been using a Visio putting template and gates to work on my stroke (
) and dedicating an evening a week to using it on the green at the club. At the moment I am putting as well as I have in ages and really feel I can make any putt and my distance control from 20 feet and out is very, very good and I'm having perhaps one three putt a round but also averaging 31.78 putts per round in the last 6 weeks (and I'm not chipping overly well so there aren't many tap in up and downs to skew the numbers)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
After 30 odd years, and I have no idea how many putters, I know what suits my eye, and I know what suits my stroke. I am a Scotty fan, and I love my Never Compromise, but....

The best putter I have ever owned is my Odessey No9 O works. I cannot see how a better putter for me can exist.

However, putting is really not the problem in my game.