Putter fitting:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve come to the conclusion that my search for my true love is flawed, and with this year being the bug 40 its an ideal and justifiable time to treat myself to a custom fit putter.

The plan is to have a lesson with my local pro solely to address any issues with the current technique and groove this through the summer before biting the bullet in October.

So has anyone done similar and more so how did they improve and also welcoming any suggestion as to where to go.

I’m not a brand snob but would love to go to a venue with a choice of brands.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been on SAM lab technology. Always really insightful, if a little soul destroying to see how flawed the stroke is. As a caveat to the OP, while I think a lesson(s) to correct the technique is the way forward, a custom fitted putter will not cure the problems and it is the technique that will need regular attention and putting takes practice and attention. That said, getting a fit for any club is brilliant and I love doing it so if the urge takes hime, go along, enjoy the process and hopefully you'll find "THE ONE"

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Troy, Matt looks fantastic the only thing that puts me off is that his site indicates he’s a scotty only man. Is this the case
You could be right. I've had 2 lessons with Matt but not a fitting so unsure. I vaguely recall a few Odysseys in the rack but yes, mostly Scottys.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Oddsocks, Charlie Sandison-Woods at Wimbledon Common Golf Club is the most qualified putting coach in the UK (I believe he's on a par with anyone in the US too) and will improve your putting no end, through all the modern and best methods.
He also has all the facilities for a putter fitting too, in his studio and on course (on the putting green)

He is definitely worth having a chat with before you make your mind up. You can view details here: https://www.wcgc.co.uk/professional/pga_professional/

Cheers

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm definitely a fan of the SAM Puttlab - operated by someone suitable qualified. I have seen/heard of instances where it was used poorly!

The results should identify the type of putter (brand independent) best suited to your natural swing. I found mine by (costly, but fun) experience!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes your approach is flawed.

The only path to true love with a putter is practice.

Pick one, stick with it and practice lots.

Sorry but that will only work if you find the right one for your stroke. If you buy a putter that fights your stroke you're just make it that much harder and need more practice, probably to achieve a lesser result than having the right putter will.

User20204

Visit site
Yes your approach is flawed.

The only path to true love with a putter is practice.

Pick one, stick with it and practice lots.

Sorry but that will only work if you find the right one for your stroke. If you buy a putter that fights your stroke you're just make it that much harder and need more practice, probably to achieve a lesser result than having the right putter will.

I believe that SB has a point, not saying that a proper putter "may" improve your putting but I'd hasten that someone who puts a lot of time and effort in to their putting will get benefits, whether that putter fits their stroke or not. Lets not forget, putter fitting is a fairly new thing, are you suggesting that all the great putters through time were just lucky.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I believe that SB has a point, not saying that a proper putter "may" improve your putting but I'd hasten that someone who puts a lot of time and effort in to their putting will get benefits, whether that putter fits their stroke or not. Lets not forget, putter fitting is a fairly new thing, are you suggesting that all the great putters through time were just lucky.

He has a point that if you practice a lot you should improve. But if your stroke naturally suits a putter with toe hang and you pick a face balanced one, or vice versa, you will make the game harder for yourself, so much of that practice will be spent overcoming the putter's unnatural fit.

No, I'm not suggesting that all the great putters were lucky; I would however suggest they have a much better understanding of how the swing works and therefore what suits them. They've also got more access to different putters & the opportunity to test them privately.

Over the years I've worked out the hard way that a centre shafted putter suits me best. I now know WHY it suits me best. If that knowledge is now available why waste it; this game is supposed fun at our level, why make it harder than it needs to be?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He has a point that if you practice a lot you should improve. But if your stroke naturally suits a putter with toe hang and you pick a face balanced one, or vice versa, you will make the game harder for yourself, so much of that practice will be spent overcoming the putter's unnatural fit.

No, I'm not suggesting that all the great putters were lucky; I would however suggest they have a much better understanding of how the swing works and therefore what suits them. They've also got more access to different putters & the opportunity to test them privately.

Over the years I've worked out the hard way that a centre shafted putter suits me best. I now know WHY it suits me best. If that knowledge is now available why waste it; this game is supposed fun at our level, why make it harder than it needs to be?
Definitely and I'd also argue that using a toe hang instead of face balanced (as an example for a person's stroke) means not only do they have to work harder in practice to get to a level a properly fitted putter would take them too, also assuming a degree of practice, but could be susceptible to falling down under pressure. A good fitter will find the right putter to suit a stroke and the right tool for anything has to make the task easier