Putt for dough...challenge the pros

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
There have been many comments on here about people who drive the ball a helluva a long way and comparisons with the worlds best etc etc blah blah blah.

However, putting isn't too complex a stroke so it got me wondering. How do you think you would get on in a putt off against a professional golfer? Obviously Robert Rock is barred from entry as his caddy lines them up for him and JB Holmes is out as we'd die from boredom waiting for him to finish his marching ruotine and hit the blinking thing.

So if you had a putting competition against a pro with the following rules how do you think you'd get on? Which pro's (if any) do you think you could beat?

1. Fifty putts total
2. 1 point for each putt that drops
3. Five putts from ten locations (varying breaks, distances, uphill, downhill etc)

FAO MIKEH
Can GM sort this out as an opportunity for three lucky readers to get fitted for a new putter, get a masterclass in putting and take on G-Mac at Wentworth?

TaylormadePhil

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The pro would win easily.. The standard of putting from the professionals is unbelievable and this is them playing for money and all the pressure that that brings.. So imagine what they would be like if they were just taking on me or you in a putting challenge and imagine how we would be taking them on.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The pro would win easily.. The standard of putting from the professionals is unbelievable and this is them playing for money and all the pressure that that brings.. So imagine what they would be like if they were just taking on me or you in a putting challenge and imagine how we would be taking them on.

Think I know one or two people who could give them a run for their money. but on the whole most good ametures don't come close. The guys I know are off 0 and 4 and don't have any other part of the game to write home about. I'm sure there are a few people about like that, with eyes for the green and heaps of talent with the flat stick but not much elsewhere.

I think I could give Sergio a run for his money. Maybe even Retief, but only if its a Sunday and he is in contention.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
40-10 to the Pro.

At best.
To be honest we would putt worse than normal due to the pressure of playing with a top Pro.
Great idea for a feature - pick me!!!!!!!!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not even a contest. Lag putting from long range would be significantly better and more consistent and they would hole more 6-12 footers through regularity, practice and temperament. I'd love to try it Mike if you're reading this and see how my old Ping Anser 2 I've gone back to compares with the modern putters and how the pros would handle it.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldnt beat anyone my putting is poor at the moment,hopefully my new putter will help,heres hoping.Maybe Bob could send me a free v-easy to see if that helps :)

crux

Club Champion
gonewhackit.blogspot.com
My money is on the pro :D

However...

They do putt on top class surfaces.

I wonder how even Luke Donald would put on our sodden, winter battered, bobbly slow greens? Doubt he would make that many 10 footers!

Tiger

Money List Winner
Interesting responses guys. I'm not seriously suggesting an amateur could beat a pro :D but I'd be really interested to see how we'd compare. Think it would be fascinating to see how a high, mid and low handicapper got on compared to the pro, especially if you did a before and after the masterclass.

Bob what's this SAM putting lab you are talking about?

Tiger

Money List Winner
Right MIKEH new plan. Three forumers high, mid, low handicap. They have their putting stroke analysed by SAM and his lab. Then follows some tips from the lab technicians and a masterclass with Graeme of the Mac Mr Clutch Putt 2010 before they each have a go at the putting challenge. Jezz who is a tad handy with a flagstick represents the GM staff and does a beautifully eloquent write up of a similar ilk to his recent one on distance. Majority of players neglect their putting this would be uber! Go on, you know it makes sense! :D

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would make an interesting feature for sure.

Weren't GM thinking of doing an 'all you need to know' thing on putting or something along those lines. Would be a great feature piece for that.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you ever get the chance to test yourself on the SAM Putting lab do it. Then compare your results with the tour pros. Good fun :)

Used one late saturday. Havent got my print out to hand but overall score percentage was 79.9%. The pro said his best was about 82.9%. I was quite happy with that. :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends on what greens were doing the challenge at, if its my local goat track then Id hope to win at least 20 of the 50. If at a course with "tour speed and standard" greens Id expect to win very few and I'm usually as very decent putter

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forget the worm casts, it was the worms that were a problem on Saturday. The rain was bringing them out in their dozens and I think the most that I had to move was 4 on the line of one putt.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
this would be a great challenge to which Id love to have a go.

Im crap at putting at the moment so Id love the chance to improve in some way :)

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At my handicap of 24 putting is currently the weakest part of my game. Shot a 92 at the weekend (2 under handicap) but had 40 putts which included 3 single putts lots of doubles with plenty inside makable distance and the rest 3 putts.

This is a great idea for a feature and would be really interesting to see the outcome and the difference between different handicap levels.

Would be also good to see a 'before and after' feature - i.e. how many shots could be shaved off a round after putting with the stars