Pushing Putts

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Afternoon all.

Looking for a little direction (... Pardon the pun) with regards to the above issue.

It's something I've always battled but rather than being my bad miss, it's now becoming more of an issue of late.

I've started to putt with a line on the ball to help me line up.

On the whole it has helped some, however I'm hitting putts that are starting off line to begin with and miss right.

Typical example.

We have a carpet in our front room, which plays at a similar pace to our greens. As the speeds are close I practice a bit in there.

At a distance of 6ft I'm either hitting the edge of the putting ball return thingy or missing my an inch or so.

When the line on the ball rolls end over end, the ball rolls as aimed and more often than not holes out.

What is tending to happen on the bad shot is the line not roll end over end and appears scrambled and, as per above misses to the right.

I'll admit to contemplating a larger grip to see prevent any wrist movement, but would rather look at a possible technique change first.

Any thoughts appreciated.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you checked the alignment of your putter head behind the ball using your dominant eye?

Could be as simple as the putter head not being square to target and sub consciously you leave the face open...or cut across the ball?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have you checked the alignment of your putter head behind the ball using your dominant eye?

Could be as simple as the putter head not being square to target and sub consciously you leave the face open...or cut across the ball?

I don't think so Amanda.

I'm left eye dominant and play the ball under my left eye in a similar position to where I would roughly play a 6 iron.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No necessarily a 'proper' fix, but you could try strengthening your right hand as much as you can/dare.

I push short putts like you wouldn't believe, but moving my right hand under the grip a bit more has helped (harder for it to twitch right at impact).

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ball position a touch back or as gaz says strengthen your grip.

Been fiddling with strengthening and weakening my grip putting in the house this last while. Makes a huge difference.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try putting back straight but finish feeling like its going outside the line to the right.

Its possible you are moving your body a touch, as you follow through you open your shoulders (and hips too!), cutting across the ball to the left but opening the clubface to the line therefore pushing your balls to the right.

I had a similar issue, I fixed it by gripping down, getting my eyes over the ball more and putting on a line that felt out to out. Due to my previous stroke being in to in with too much body movement it felt like that, actually it is now straight to straight and I hole way more putts and fine the middle of the face a lot more often!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ball position a touch back or as gaz says strengthen your grip.

Been fiddling with strengthening and weakening my grip putting in the house this last while. Makes a huge difference.

Certainly not ball position.

Ball position is a touch forward, as I said, similar to a 6 iron, so I would guess not too far back.

Grip may be something to look at :thup:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
would check out shoulder alignment, head & parallel & horizontal eyeline at set up, or the ball position (too much back in set up) being a cause of the issue.

take it the predominant miss out in play & on the practice putting green is pushed also. so not just the inside carpet roll outs.

if you put two alignment sticks on the 'carpet' straight putt line with just enough gap to accommodate the arc of the stroke, then you easy see if you taking the putter back too inside & traveling 'out' through the strike - as you'll hit the sticks. plus ways easier to see the face alignment is really square at set-up & strike.

seem to remember a post in which you referred to you putting with your eyes following the putter head through the stroke. my take this never a real good idea as it's a ways too easy for more than just the 'eyes' to start to move laterally which can lead to many putting issues.

would think it's likely the putter face is in some degree open at point of contact (given the line on the ball isn't rolling 'straightover, end over end' to right field)
so even if the putter path is pretty good, re arc to line of putt, or straight path line if square to square, with the face open the ball will start 'rightfield' off the face.

overall & usually the left hand is more in charge of direction of stroke so if the left hand has got a little ways 'under' the handle (so if the back of left hand is not square to putter face but slightly 'looking' downwards it can easily encourage the face to be open at contact)
would then strengthen the left hand so back of hand 'square' to face angle of putter. then it's a ways easy for the 'flat' of the wrist/back of left hand to be square to the face through the ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A SAM Puttlab session with a Pro should identify the cause very quickly. Quite a few Pros have them as a 'no extra cost' accessory.