Pushing hybrids and fairway woods

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
This is a problem that has been creeping into my game for a while now and it's got to the point where i don't hit them anymore on par 5s.

I make the same swing as my irons, and the ball just shoots right, normally with a fade as well. I'd say it goes about 30-45 degrees right of where i'm aiming.

My normal shot with my irons is either straight or a slight draw.

What can be causing this, sorry don't have a video of me hitting a hybrid.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
am assuming aim lines, & shoulders in particular are lined up good to your target line, first off check shoulders are not a ways closed at address & ball position is good - not a little ways too back in the stance

if that's all good then something to check over in motion - assuming all these shots starting direction is definitely right of the target line

then what's possibly happening is, a ways of a lateral slide left, both hips & legs driving towards target at the start of transition (from what I remember of seeing your swing vids) hips could also have a little ways EE towards target line ( so not keeping the pelvic angle & rotating the left hip left but sliding it laterally little ways too much)

often times happens because it's more a with the 'distance' clubs & there's some 'extra' swing effort to shift the ball out there - maybes you swinging little ways smoother & quieter at transition not so much slide with the irons - & with the relatively shorter shafts you able to keep the club a ways more infant of the chest so you not swinging so much from the inside & behind, plus shorter shaft enabling the face to square up more in time, so with irons little ways more neutral swing path face little open you get the draw, or squarer so straighter flight.

this will have a tendency to drop the right shoulder & side down & back with little ways too much of a tilt to trailside so the club is both back behind the body too much & coming from the inside - the longer the club is the harder it will be to square the face angle at impact - so it you can manage to square face to this path it will go fair bit to the rightfield but straight, but with the longer shaft length it's a ways easy for the face not to get back to square, so start right - curves right

get a headcover or rolled up bag towel, measure around a 1 foot back off the ball on the target line then at 90º another 1 foot towards you (so it's more opposite your right foot & not quite halfways between the target line & your foot line)

have some practice swings at a slower speed at a tee peg with the obstruction aid in position.
if you keep sliding & dropping the body & club back behind you'll hit the headcover/rolled towel as you'll be coming too much from inside & back

so you'll have to have quieter hips & legs laterally, for the club to be able to stay more in front of the chest so the path goes back more towards neutral, & you'll need to feel the left hip rotates/turns out of the ways to the left not travel to target, as you feel you swing back leftfield some through the ball (so back up the on the forwards inside swing arc - think of the 'inclined hoop') through impact & not the clubhead going out to the right aways through the ball

Last edited: