Push Fade

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My stock shot with my driver.

Problem being I start the ball too far to the right and usually miss my target area right. Last weekend but about 20-25 yards.

The main cause of the miss is the push. It starts too far right of target then fades. The fade is probably only 10 or so yards, but the push is starting the shot 10-15 yards to the right

Question:

How do I get the ball to start further towards the middle and still push fade without turning the shot into a pull fade?

And don't say aim more left :D

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
somewhere between getting on the tee and the clubhead striking the ball it's ending up aiming right...

it might be your initial alignment of the club face
it might be a last minute adjustment
it might be that you are aligning it by twisting your wrists - then immediately reversing it as you start the take away
it might be that you completely realign it at some point in the swing through a number of possible actions - a huge number of actions

it would be easy to suggest that you simply aren't giving yourself enough time to return the hands square as you drag the clubhead across the ball from out to in at impact...far too easy :)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just thinking about my own push/fades the last 2 days (normally a draw) have I think stemmed from a lateral slide into the ball as opposed to a good hip 'turn'. I'm working on a better turn and lag now to correct it. Is your S&T swing possibly letting a slide takeover a tad?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just thinking about my own push/fades the last 2 days (normally a draw) have I think stemmed from a lateral slide into the ball as opposed to a good hip 'turn'. I'm working on a better turn and lag now to correct it. Is your S&T swing possibly letting a slide takeover a tad?

Good well be. Either that or I'm turning (my hips) too quickly and getting (my arms) stuck?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good well be. Either that or I'm turning (my hips) too quickly and getting (my arms) stuck?

yes, that was the other possibility especially if you are trying (like me) to increase the lag in the downswing...........

so.....in other words I don't know:whistle: which is why I'm getting .1 back everyweek. Love this game

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you line up square (down the center) and push the ball then it's going to start to the right of center, bye bye ball :)

(I'm not going to mention aiming more left so that you can start the ball a little more down the left side....)

A

Alex1975

@OP is the push fade by design? You want it? if so then why please?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you line up square (down the center) and push the ball then it's going to start to the right of center, bye bye ball :)

(I'm not going to mention aiming more left so that you can start the ball a little more down the left side....)

Fair point James :thup:

@OP is the push fade by design? You want it? if so then why please?

Yes Al' Push fade by design.

Why. More control over the curve (left to right). As it stands now the ball starts out to the right (push), but doesn't fade as dramatically as the pull version. Like I said in the OP. the fade is only 10 or so yards maybe less

I've, nearly always, hit a pull fade with the driver and found I was losing quite a bit of distance. This maybe just me, but I find that I hit a push fade further and have a little more control over the curve of the ball.

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

Just a thought but have you tried closing the club head just a little so it starts a little straighter.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would suggest a 'Fade" would be a better shot for you. You need to close down the difference between your clubface direction and swingpath direction at impact. When you have done this then its just a matter of alignment.

Rather than over-thinking this try imagine a nail tacked into your ball at address and you want to swing the clubface into the nail so it gets driven right through the ball. If you were driving a nail into a door frame with a hammer you would'nt swing out to in or in to out or have the hammer face open at impact.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I have learnt from listening to certain people on here (you know who you are;)). If you are hitting a push fade it is simply a case of swinging in to out and the clubface is open to the swingpath. A rough guess that you could try is to swing more upright so that you are not coming from the inside so much.

Get a video of this swing up on the site and the more knowledgeable people will be able to give you some good advice to straighten things up.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Rather than over-thinking this try imagine a nail tacked into your ball at address and you want to swing the clubface into the nail so it gets driven right through the ball. If you were driving a nail into a door frame with a hammer you would'nt swing out to in or in to out or have the hammer face open at impact.

Patrick57, is that you? :whistle:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A rough guess that you could try is to swing more upright so that you are not coming from the inside so much.

Get a video of this swing up on the site and the more knowledgeable people will be able to give you some good advice to straighten things up.

You can swing more upright and still be very inside. ala Couples, Trevino Justin etc etc
Gareth already has a swing vid on here somewhere

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can swing more upright and still be very inside. ala Couples, Trevino Justin etc etc
Gareth already has a swing vid on here somewhere

You can even swing more in to out and hit a pus draw. All my point is that something needs to be changed as what he has is getting him nowhere apart from in trouble. Either swing on a less in to out swing path to start the ball straighter. Other option is get your hands working quicker to close the face in relation to the swing path so that you turn that swing into a push draw.