Puring shafts?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I was thinking of having my shafts pured. Has anyone had this done and if so has it benefited their game?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it not only beneficial for the low handicapper, and if not only- more so? I would only think that it was worth the expense if I was a very low handicapper who has a 100% repeatable swing each time. Or if money is not an issue than go for it if it will help.

Out of interest Nico what was the price difference between having your shafts pured or having standard shafts fitted?

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Out of interest Nico what was the price difference between having your shafts pured or having standard shafts fitted?

My understanding of 'puring' is removing your shafts and rotating them until the 'grain' is running in the best direction to help ensure symetrical deflection of the shaft, is this correct?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is definately more beneficial for the really low handicapper with the irons,i.e. better than me(5).

Woods would benefit anyone as the discrepancy with graphite is so much more than steel.
You should have seen my driver when he put it in the machine,it went in all directions!

Money no issue,I would say everyone should do it as nothing feels like pured/matched clubs throught the bag.

The cost is considerable,but if you think what a complete bag of kit is worth then it is not too awful.
I did really well and my whole bag cost me a lot less than £2000.00. Given that my irons should have been £1400.00 alone and I only used my 3 wood head I am happy!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ken,yes you are right.

They put the shafts in a machine that vibrates them.

That was what convinced me with the driver at first,when he put my custom fitted Callaway in the machine it performed a figure of 8. He then put the Titleist he had made for me in the machine and it moved on one plane.

Cue some brutal expenditure!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Apparently there is no point in doing 7 irons and down, so that would limit the costs a bit.

Probably worth it for graphite shafts, but if you hit your irons ok, I wouldn't bother.

Not sure that doing it will suddenly make you hit it like a pro either.

My driver is pured, but none of the rest.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You can get your existing clubs pured. They just pull the shafts, find the spine, and then put them back in.

This is only half the story though, because once you go down this route of finite gains, you should have your shafts frequency matched too. This defo means new shafts, as your existing ones will be all over the place and so is not cheap.

At the end of the day, if you spend all this money, and don't suddenly play like god, will it be good value?