Pure disappointment

Putting_Green_Pro

Q-School Graduate
www.heyrosegolfclub.com
well today was the junior cup at my club. The list on the board didn't look like a healthy amount and, well for me, was so glad when only 5 other juniors turned up! That gave me a great chance of winning.

we, myself and 2 others, played in a 3 ball and were behind the other threeball. My partners were playing off 15 and 32 (myself off 24). I played average coming out with a pretty respectable 5 over after 5 holes. But then the heat and my partner playing off 32 really got to me. on the 2nd a par 5 he shot 9, aswell as the other 9 on the par 3! On the 4th hole was where the trouble really started. he (32 H/C'er) hit a 10 YARD drive into the trees. drop, shot, drop again, miss hit, shot, shot, drop, shot, shot, putt, putt asnd finally a putt. Unbelievable! :eek:

well we will skip the next few holes. ended up with a 17 over after the front nine. Not great but respectable.

well after the 32 H/C'er threw in the towel, our 2ball carried on. we both played well and were scoring many pars and should have had some birdies. once we got to the 16th we were 'pooing' ourselves as it is a tight par 3 260 yards. i took my 5 wood and landed it on the green :). i then realised that i really had a chance of winning.

finally when we got back to the clubhouse we found out we both got nett 70 (3 under - par 73) and were tied for the lead. After the organiser checked the scores and the shot for shot back nine i was told i had one due to only having a 4 over back nine :D.

BUT.... just before the presentations of the cup - and the prise money :), the group was told that due to the competition being a major the maximum handicap that someone could have had was 18. that meant i had to add 6, yes six shots!, onto my score giving me a nett of 76 :( ended up 4th and missed out on any prize.

boggybop

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely the prizes weren't the only reason why you played?

It sounds as though you played really good golf on the back nine, had a decent time after the 32 handicapper left the game and managed to reduce your handicap.

It does seem a little on the harsh side that you weren't told the maximum handicap before playing!

Think of it this way, at least you can take the moral high-ground, and you got away without having to make a speech! :p

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm confused... :D

Did you manage a nett 70 (3 under) off 24 or 18?

I'm guessing you did it off 24 and then they penalised you 6 shots (or put another way, they added 6 to your nett)

Grim.....how disappointing is that.

Me thinks someone should have told you to write 18* against your h'cap...then you'd have made a nett 76 without all the fuss.

Bad news, poor you.