Pulling irons

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi I was fitted for a new set of ping G irons AWT stiff shafts and although I hit them very well I have a five yard pull the more I practice the more consistent the pull
could this be the offset on the club as I have always played blades.
tried a Ie bladed iron less offset with same shaft and pull has gone .
is this to simple or could it be the club.
i am a 5 hcap so swing is reasonably consistent.
any help appreciated thanks.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi I was fitted for a new set of ping G irons AWT stiff shafts and although I hit them very well I have a five yard pull the more I practice the more consistent the pull
could this be the offset on the club as I have always played blades.
tried a Ie bladed iron less offset with same shaft and pull has gone .
is this to simple or could it be the club.
i am a 5 hcap so swing is reasonably consistent.
any help appreciated thanks.

yep
given your index mark and more consistent delivery path would say it's almost certain that it's the offset that's playing into the pulls

as you likely have hands ahead so some amount of forwards leaning shaft at strike the offset is going to have the face angle & loft looking leftfield some

so either a case of just tweaking the delivery or looking for some irons that offer little ways more forgiveness than 'purer' blades but do that with a tad less offset

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes this is what I am thinking .
thank you for your advice
i do have a forward shaft lean and club never looks square.
will go see fitter and try and sort it before season starts.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yep touch too much offset will tend to do this for a more well developed swing motion - that's one major reason off set came in to being for the folks who had the shots going rightfield too much

though just to be clear what I was meaning with 'tweaking' - it was speaking to having to experiment with the delivery of the club in the swing motion - which is a road you may not want to go down - path to face angle, shaft delivery into through impact
that might be something you can find pretty easy - if - you give yourself the freedom to do that
or might be something that feels way too alien

can't really tweak the offset in terms of a fitter being able to do anything through the set

so maybes have to bite the bullet and change the clubs look for less offset but a tad more forgiveness than pure blades - like similar types of clubs from different OEM's to the irons in my sig below

like the new ping version of this type of iron would be the iblade - if ping was the preferred OEM