Puddle on the green

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A puddle near the hole is often a bonus target for a pitch or approach. It means the ball won't roll too far away.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
A puddle near the hole is often a bonus target for a pitch or approach. It means the ball won't roll too far away.
So could you legally use a puddle next to the hole as a break so to speak. Puddle a foot from hole 45 foot putt, just aim for the puddle finish 12" from hole then take relief?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
So could you legally use a puddle next to the hole as a break so to speak. Puddle a foot from hole 45 foot putt, just aim for the puddle finish 12" from hole then take relief?

Legal, yes, but bizarre. I'd prefer to take relief in the first instance and finish in the hole.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I was answering in the context of the OP's situation but for fullness, as rulefan confirmed, interference to stance is included and complete relief must be taken unless not available.

This puzzles me a bit. The .."unless not available.."
I say this because Jim8flog speaks of taking relief in the rough. If that is right, then complete relief must always be available, must it not? There must be somewhere dry back from the green?
So, must you take relief off the green?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Here is what Rule 16.1d Relief for Ball on Putting Green says, (note the second bullet point). If the player wants to take relief, he or she must take complete relief. Maximum available relief is only available if there is no such nearest point of complete relief. The player is not given a choice of which relief to take.

Relief for Ball on Putting Green

If a player’s ball is on the putting green and there is interference by an abnormal course condition on the course, the player may take free relief by placing the original ball or another ball on the spot of the nearest point of complete relief, using the procedures for replacing a ball under Rules 14.2b(2) and 14.2e.
  • The nearest point of complete relief must be either on the putting green or in the general area.
  • If there is no such nearest point of complete relief, the player may still take this free relief by using the point of maximum available relief as the reference point, which must be either on the putting green or in the general area.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
This puzzles me a bit. The .."unless not available.."
I say this because Jim8flog speaks of taking relief in the rough. If that is right, then complete relief must always be available, must it not? There must be somewhere dry back from the green?
So, must you take relief off the green?

There is no point of complete relief if the hole is surrounded by temporary water. In those circumstances your point of relief is where you have a line to the hole through the least amount of water.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No it isn’t……it’s stopping play until the Committee provide a solution…..

Our committees are all made up of volunteer members who may or may not be playing or even at the course. You cannot compare what goes on at club level to what goes on at an organised event.

Sometimes even those available have to take in to consideration all the players that may have finished their round already and committee members who sometimes act in hope rather than reality.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There is no point of complete relief if the hole is surrounded by temporary water. In those circumstances your point of relief is where you have a line to the hole through the least amount of water.

Yes, of course. I must admit I was visualising the ball on the green resting in water. Now, where did I put that thinking cap?