Puddle on the green

BobbyP

Visit site
Playing yesterday afternoon, a small puddle had formed on one of the greens. I landed my ball on the green just behind it, with the puddle blocking my route to the hole. Is there any relief permitted in this situation or do I just need to putt around / through it?

If I'd actually landed it in the puddle, what is the rule here?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On the green you can move your ball to another spot either side of the puddle so you are not putting through water.

Obviously, not nearer the hole. Not sure if it can be further away but I would try my best to make the spot equidistant.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the green you can move your ball to another spot either side of the puddle so you are not putting through water.

Obviously, not nearer the hole. Not sure if it can be further away but I would try my best to make the spot equidistant.
Yeah it's this. I played with someone once who claims there were patches of water all over the place between him and the hole, so much so he moved the ball almost 90 degrees around from the flag (still the same distance away of course). Given that he was 20 odd foot away this gave him a completely different putt - and then he sank it! It was one of those where the rest of us walked off scratching our chins and wondering if he'd pulled a fast one, but it was all in the rules I guess.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
See Rule 16.1d

You place your ball at the nearest point of relief - i.e. the nearest place not nearer the hole at which the temporary water isn't intervening on your line of play. That point could be on the other side of the hole from where your ball was lying. It could be much further away from the hole. It could be off the green. If necessary you can take maximum relief if there is no route to the hole unaffected by water.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah it's this. I played with someone once who claims there were patches of water all over the place between him and the hole, so much so he moved the ball almost 90 degrees around from the flag (still the same distance away of course). Given that he was 20 odd foot away this gave him a completely different putt - and then he sank it! It was one of those where the rest of us walked off scratching our chins and wondering if he'd pulled a fast one, but it was all in the rules I guess.

Quite a common occurrence where I play due to slopes on the green. Annoying at times because an up hill putt may become a downhill one if you are going to take relief.

Biggest argument I have had with one player was he would not take nearest point of relief which was in the rough.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
See Rule 16.1d

You place your ball at the nearest point of relief - i.e. the nearest place not nearer the hole at which the temporary water isn't intervening on your line of play. That point could be on the other side of the hole from where your ball was lying. It could be much further away from the hole. It could be off the green. If necessary you can take maximum relief if there is no route to the hole unaffected by water.
Does taking the relief you describe require full relief to be taken, so you must place ball at the NPR including your stance.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite a common occurrence where I play due to slopes on the green. Annoying at times because an up hill putt may become a downhill one if you are going to take relief.

Biggest argument I have had with one player was he would not take nearest point of relief which was in the rough.

Ah the old Nicest Point of Relief :rolleyes: :LOL:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Another rule that is verging on the ridiculous
On the green, well done. Need to not putt through water, drop in a place that gives a massive disadvantage. ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another rule that is verging on the ridiculous
On the green, well done. Need to not putt through water, drop in a place that gives a massive disadvantage. ?

Alternatively, another helpful rule which allows you to get out of a situation without penalty when something abnormal happens like temporary water on the putting green but which equally allows you to putt through or chip over the water in the unusual situation of the nearest point of relief being the worse option.

By the way, you place the ball under this rule whether on or off the green.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Alternatively, another helpful rule which allows you to get out of a situation without penalty when something abnormal happens like temporary water on the putting green but which equally allows you to putt through or chip over the water in the unusual situation of the nearest point of relief being the worse option.

By the way, you place the ball under this rule whether on or off the green.

Just shut the course. ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just shut the course. ?

I was close to having to suspend play in a tournament a few weeks ago but sterling work by a squad of greenkeepers managed to keep the three most affected greens in play.
They were much better at it than I was the first time I used a squeegee when, after laboriously sweeping water away from a badly affected spot, I stood back and watched it flow back down to where it had been. I had assiduously swept the water uphill. :rolleyes:

I have the same difficulty in identifying which way the ground slopes when putting. :(

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one that always causes angst is when you are inches off the green (could putt) and you have a large puddle in the way - no relief!

However in a similar vein a player playing a full length shot in to the green realises is his shot will have to go through that same puddle...........

You have to draw the line somewhere.
My brother used to putt from 30 yards out from the green.