Psychological Issues

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
When I go and take my shot I feel really stressed out and make a bad shot. By the way no words will help me and I need some calming techniques before a shot.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whats the worst that could happen??

Answer - you hit a bad shot.

You should be aware though that by getting worked up you are giving yourself far less chance of hitting a good one.

If you need a comfort blanket to help you then try sucking sweets on the way round. I also found drinking heavily the night before used to help me think a hell of a lot less about any golf shot I was about to hit.
Have you tried smoking!?! J/K smiley

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hitting a bad shot is not that serious, is it, get it into perspective. No one is going to burn down your house, shoot your dog, the Mother in law isn't going to stay for a week.

Consider that there are only two types of golf shots: Good ones or Learning ones. Have you read 'The 7 Laws of the Golf Swing' by Nick Bradley? He has a very good section on how to get in the zone and blank out all things that distract you when you take your shot.

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
The second time I went to the driving range I was actually shaking, it was that bad. I will try the sucking sweets one and also see if I could get hold of that book that Socket Rocket recommended. Finally, I didn't know when you said drinking was it alcohol or just normal juice or something. I'm only 12 remember that.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The second time I went to the driving range I was actually shaking, it was that bad. I will try the sucking sweets one and also see if I could get hold of that book that Socket Rocket recommended. Finally, I didn't know when you said drinking was it alcohol or just normal juice or something. I'm only 12 remember that.

Ah 12! You can forget the Mother in law bit as well. Thats a fear you are yet to experience.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just remember everyone starts somewhere. What else do you play? I'm guessing computer games being only a bairn. How did you get on the first time you played your favourite game. I'm guess not very well but you worked at it.

As with everything same rule applies. Don't focus on the guy in the next bay hitting it miles with his driver as he has been playing for years. Just concentrate on holding the club properly and not trying to rip the face off the ball and you'll soon hit a few decent shots, then take it from there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It shouldn't get that bad at your age. Hit it, find it and hit it again. If you have a bad shot or a bad round it happens and the next one will be better. At 12 you need to be playing without fear

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find fear of failure is a tremendous incentive tool for learning.

However, it's not much fun and can mess you up.

Take things easier, don't stress about it too much, relax a little and accept you'll never be in total control.

Just hit it! Do if often enough and you'll get over it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hitting a bad shot is not that serious, is it, get it into perspective. No one is going to burn down your house, shoot your dog, the Mother in law isn't going to stay for a week.

Consider that there are only two types of golf shots: Good ones or Learning ones. Have you read 'The 7 Laws of the Golf Swing' by Nick Bradley? He has a very good section on how to get in the zone and blank out all things that distract you when you take your shot.

i could do with reading this. i was taking a putt from off the green on saturday and all i could think of during the putt was phil mickelson saying he only won the masters when he lay down the wedges and started putting from off the green. this was going through my head in the lead up and during the putt. as you can guess, i hit it far too short as i wasnt fully concentrating. do you think big phil is thinking about me while he is putting? lol

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Is the rest of the book good as well? Is it worth the tenner that iBooks want for it?

I'm interested because I have all sorts of rubbish going through my head sometimes when I stand over the ball, but I wouldn't buy it for that alone.

Last edited: