Proudest Golf Achievement

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You put runner up in what is basically a society event ahead of a board competition? Or have I misread your post?

Does it matter? Won a qualifier on a course I'd never played and runner up (on countback) on another course I'd never played against some decent players. Can't see your point other than looking to have another dig (which is soooo boring now)

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does it matter? Won a qualifier on a course I'd never played and runner up (on countback) on another course I'd never played against some decent players. Can't see your point other than looking to have another dig (which is soooo boring now)

to be fair, coming 2nd at GM H4H's 2016 event is probably my proudest moment. Had been playing golf for less than a year.

Guy who came first beat me by 1 point and had been my playing partner, he played great and had a good day out with him and the others so was happy to get the one, two.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No it doesn't matter but I thought you used to be an assistant pro. Surely turning pro is a bigger achievement than runner up in a society event?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's been a few but I think my favourite was in Tescos.
I was doing a bit of shopping when a little 10 year old girl came up behind me all excited
'Bob Bob Bob, I had a birdie today'
She was a member of my junior clinic and it was her first birdie ever.
Shes now over 6' and plays off 1

N.B. Other supermarkets are available

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's been a few but I think my favourite was in Tescos.
I was doing a bit of shopping when a little 10 year old girl came up behind me all excited
'Bob Bob Bob, I had a birdie today'
She was a member of my junior clinic and it was her first birdie ever.
Shes now over 6' and plays off 1

N.B. Other supermarkets are available

Not sure you can take credit for her growth spurt?! :confused:

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Proudest moment has to be finally joining Tandridge (had been a lifelong dream after my grandfather, dad and uncle were all members) to then win my first competition with 42 points in the Braid 5 club competition. Still waiting for the engraving to be put up in the bar!

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think Bobmac's is the best one on the thread, great story.

My own one was winning our captains day. I shot 5 better than handcap to tie with the clubhouse leader and we then went back out to the 18th for a playoff. When we were hitting into the green, I would guess we had around 300 people on the balcony and around 50 round the green watching us. Only a fraction of what the proper golfers face, but it made me aware of the pressure that a watching crowd has on you! The people round the green in particular was a shock, as visually it makes the green look a hell of a lot smaller than normal!!!

I managed to play the hole slightly better than my opponent and won the day. Had a load of mates watching and the weather was superb, so enjoyed the beers out on the balcony and by the time the day had finished that evening I felt on top of the golfing world. This lasted exactly 3 days when I rocked up at the mid-week stableford with confidence sky high and shot 21 points and came stone last. :eek:ne:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By far my best one was winning the order of merit at my last club in 2010.

Mainly because I put in a lot of hard graft all year and played consistent golf. Had a lot of top 3's and was hardly ever out the top 10.

D

Deleted member 21258

Not really a proud person in that sense but I was most excited with:-

Winning the Foursomes Junior/Adult competition with Adam last year.

Dragging myself to RSG soon after dad passed away and getting a third there, mainly down to the great company on the day which made it a brilliant day.

Winning longest drive on one of my golf days(for clients), first time ever.

I think the first wins it, as it was great to play with the son in a pairs comp and actually win something and appear on the board.

D

Deleted member 15344

No it doesn't matter but I thought you used to be an assistant pro. Surely turning pro is a bigger achievement than runner up in a society event?

I would have thought for Homer it would have been getting to cat 1 - getting to 4 is a big deal

I was very proud when I got to cat 1 but the proudest was when I won a memorial comp at Woburn which was in honour of my wife's grandfather who passed away

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never won much......but I did win a whole load of sheckles off the North West bandits + quite a few other forummers when we did a 2 day tourney at Formby and Royal Liverpool. I remember having 24 points on the front 9 at Hoylake and i'll never forget what Fat Tiger called me......I was off 11 at the time though.

Other than that:
Holding a single figure handicap for a few years,
Holing out from 248 yards for an Albatross,
Shooting 1 over gross in the first round of the SAOL trophy
Have had 3 level par gross rounds (off yellow tees)

My proudest would be if I ever grew a pair, stopped choking/blowing up in medals and got to cat 1

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Knobbling it around Royal Lytham St Annes a few months after The Open (water in the bunkers one!) in 76, with a 6 at the last.

78 at St Andrews.

My son getting a birdie on his very first hole on his first time on a golf course of any kind, then getting a hole-in-one in his next round. Aged 7!

Last edited:

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Knobbling it around Royal Lytham St Annes a few months after The Open (water in the bunkers one!) in 76, with a 6 at the last.

78 at St Andrews.

My son getting a birdie on his very first hole on his first time on a golf course of any kind, then getting a hole-in-one in his next round. Aged 7!

Still dreaming of a hole in one. Amazing stuff from the young lad. Must be well proud of him. Hope he continues to improve. To be fair 76 round Lytham is leading by example.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I would have thought for Homer it would have been getting to cat 1 - getting to 4 is a big deal

I was very proud when I got to cat 1 but the proudest was when I won a memorial comp at Woburn which was in honour of my wife's grandfather who passed away

All rather presumptuous. If you read what I put..."my best achievement in many a year". I was 16 all that happened and it was nearly 35 years ago. I've been through what changed after that many times so not worth repeating other than I knew it wouldn't be going anywhere. Given the form I was in at the time of the GM event (almost as bad as now) and playing courses I didn't know it still ranks there for me. No idea why others need to poke their noses in and suggest what I should be thinking or putting as my reply.

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Got my first eagle on Saturday last week.

To put it in perspective, I'm pretty new back to game after a long time out and back then I was even worse than my current 28. I'm an awful driver of the ball normally, disgusting pushes, slices and hooks but got a straight one on the green on a 265 par 4. Most nervy 6(ish) footer I've ever stood over. Front 9 of 54 and back 9 of 44. :rolleyes:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
First time I went round blob free & finished with the same ball & it was first time I scored better than handicap & did it on my birthday & with my wife there to watch

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Fairly proud to have just been asked (on my 45th birthday) to play for our scratch team for the first time in my life!

Although I feel a bit guilty of smugness in saying it.
I mean I've worked really hard, too hard, but I should be more humble.