Pro Shop or not?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's the weekend - but a quiet one. There's no club comp, so no medal, no board comp, no cup or trophy to play for. But there is the ProShop comp. Likely to have a small field, no kudos, and a very small prize. But it is a qualifier. Do you enter or not?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes why not, its a game, less opposition and any prize is worthwhile if not the opportunity of putting in a decent score together whether its qualifying or not.

Also a chance to try some things possibly in a lesser prestigious comp but a comp all the same.

Our Pro comp is always fully attended with great prizes, loads of banter and freebies, its the course or shopping/DIY, I know where I'd be?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's the weekend - but a quiet one. There's no club comp, so no medal, no board comp, no cup or trophy to play for. But there is the ProShop comp. Likely to have a small field, no kudos, and a very small prize. But it is a qualifier. Do you enter or not?

If I had time to fix up a friendly knock with 3 good friends, probably not.
If I couldn't do that, and wanted a game, then yes.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in every time, but reason I asked, is that at our place they are generally not that well attended. The guys are falling over themselves to play in the club comps, but a good number just don't bother with the pro shop. May be half the number that enter for a medal?

Edit: And forgot to say, that it's just rock up and play, so everyone will be there anyway, playing in the swindle.

Last edited:

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Don't understand the highlighted bit. I don't know anyone who plays club comps for kudos or prize money. We play to get cut, so any chance to do that will (should) be taken.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't understand the highlighted bit. I don't know anyone who plays club comps for kudos or prize money. We play to get cut, so any chance to do that will (should) be taken.

Mentioned only to illustrate the differences between the club comps & pro shop. I mean, no-one ever asks "who won the pro shop last week?"

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mentioned only to illustrate the differences between the club comps & pro shop. I mean, no-one ever asks "who won the pro shop last week?"

Outside of the club champs, i'd be suprised if anyone asked 'who won the [insert trophy name here] last week?'

I certainly dont.

Your handicap is the only trophy that matters. no one ever asks how many trophies have you won, they always ask 'whats your handicap?'

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We don't have a pro shop.

Back home when there were plenty of comps. Sometimes 4 or 5 a week. Some of these had typically smaller fields and prizes but we just called them comps.

A comp is a comp.

Lee park suffers badly in that it sticks rigidly to tue and Sunday comps. It doesn't take much bad luck not to be able to play in a few weeks comps. No Saturday comps is a killer.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Intriguing that most on here would enter. I've often asked at my place why those who don't enter don't - and they just say "not bothered", or "it's not worth getting point one for" or similar. But these are the same people who always sign up for the main club comps (of which there are probably more than pro shops) so I can't call them H/C dodgers. I just find it bizarre that many don't enter.

I'm with the rest of you - it's a qualifier, so why wouldn't you.

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
We don't have things like this at my club, would be good if they did and I'd definitely play in it if I didn't have a round planned or was looking for a game. I'd assume it helps out the pro shop/club as well.

Another option if you're looking for a game is to search for other members on social media, setup a group and look to get a "Roll Up" setup for those days/weekends when there isn't anything going. Be warned though, don't setup a What's App chat, we have one of them and the amount of notifications I get through is ridiculous, the banter flows a little too easily when it's at the finger tips.