Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

I think your getting mixed up with the normal narrative.

I would argue that it is the most exciting, but if you are saying that it produces the best teams, its arguable.
I'm certainly not saying that it produces the best teams. There is no evidence to support such a claim.

As for the most exciting I would agree that is more of a possibility although it does, perhaps, depend upon your perspective.

As a complete neutral who watches a lot of PL games I am finding an increasing number of matches somewhat less than riveting. Teams from the lower end of the table seem more willing than ever to effectively concede any chance of winning games against the top sides so long as they avoid getting a stuffing.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the most exciting league is The Championship, by a distance.
Maybe not the best quality, but surely the most exciting.
On the very last day of last season, over 50% of the teams didn't know what league they'd be in next season!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the most exciting league is The Championship, by a distance.
Maybe not the best quality, but surely the most exciting.
On the very last day of last season, over 50% of the teams didn't know what league they'd be in next season!

Definitely. As my team proved getting humped 3-0 at home to lowly Barnsley, it is very unpredictable and every team capable of beating any other. Also, should your team have a decent season there is the thrill of the play-off the PL to look forward to and even though their stay may be short (as Fulhams was last time - hopefully not this) it is great to get there

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm certainly not saying that it produces the best teams. There is no evidence to support such a claim.

As for the most exciting I would agree that is more of a possibility although it does, perhaps, depend upon your perspective.

As a complete neutral who watches a lot of PL games I am finding an increasing number of matches somewhat less than riveting. Teams from the lower end of the table seem more willing than ever to effectively concede any chance of winning games against the top sides so long as they avoid getting a stuffing.

Yes to the end bit, but you can still have the results such as Watford stuffing us 3-0, City getting beat by Norwich 3-2 etc, as well.

If the premiership isnt the most exciting, generally, which is?

I think the fact that ours is the most watched in the world, bears testament to that.

D

Deleted member 18588

Yes to the end bit, but you can still have the results such as Watford stuffing us 3-0, City getting beat by Norwich 3-2 etc, as well.

If the premiership isnt the most exciting, generally, which is?

I think the fact that ours is the most watched in the world, bears testament to that.
It's certainly the best marketed and I agree that there remains an element of unpredictability.

I suppose that it depends on how you define exciting. If it's down to close competition throughout the league then I think I would have to agree with the previous suggestion of the Championship.

Obviously the quality of football played is not as high but the excitement arising from the difficulty in forecasting results and overall outcome is definitely there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last season's Premier League was crap but usually it's better than that.

I don't know if the Championship is more exciting but it's probably the least predictable, with all the teams seemingly very close to each other in terms of level - most seasons you could argue that 80% of the teams would be capable of winning promotion and the same number could potentially go down.

D

Deleted member 1418

If you want an 'exciting' football experience, go and watch non-league!

Used to go to Wealdstone a few years back and it was brilliant - great atmosphere.....and cheap as anything!! Fans right on top of the pitch, and home and away supporters actually swap ends at half-time so their teams are still attacking their end in the 2nd half!! ?

Watched one game where the away support numbered 4.......and they'd travelled up on the team coach so they could have a few beers in the Wealdstone clubhouse afterwards!! Only football match I've been to where the home crowd have given the away support a round of applause!! ?

And some of the games are exciting because the football isn't great from a technical perspective!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Used to go to Wealdstone a few years back and it was brilliant - great atmosphere.....and cheap as anything!! Fans right on top of the pitch, and home and away supporters actually swap ends at half-time so their teams are still attacking their end in the 2nd half!! ?

Watched one game where the away support numbered 4.......and they'd travelled up on the team coach so they could have a few beers in the Wealdstone clubhouse afterwards!! Only football match I've been to where the home crowd have given the away support a round of applause!! ?

And some of the games are exciting because the football isn't great from a technical perspective!
Many moons ago I got involved in Carshalton Athletic doing the gates etc and I agree it is a great experience. I've a few mates heavily involved with Kingstonian for well over 30 years and they will rarely if ever got to a PL or EFL game as they don't like it

4LEX

Visit site
United pay the price for having Martial upfront again. The second half performance was very impressive but when your striker needs 4 chances to score 1 goal you're in big trouble.

4LEX

Visit site

You've got no fans :ROFLMAO:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's certainly the best marketed and I agree that there remains an element of unpredictability.

I suppose that it depends on how you define exciting. If it's down to close competition throughout the league then I think I would have to agree with the previous suggestion of the Championship.

Obviously the quality of football played is not as high but the excitement arising from the difficulty in forecasting results and overall outcome is definitely there.

I'd have to agree with you, if you are talking unpredictability with regards to the championship, but obviously not the same technical standard. Without sounding condescending, i was talking the top/premier divisions throughout Europe, or the world.(y)

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

Since the 'Stones made the move into Grosvenor Vale I've made the occasional trip across town to watch them... If on field action is not keeping your interest there's always 'the raider' on hand to keep you entertained...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I stopped watching my local "town" team when several of the players were guys I played with on a Sunday and I wasnt keen to pay to watch them. Back before that they had players signed from top league clubs who hadn't quite made it or were just seeing out their days before fully retiring - I've never been since, but I've seen Crystal Palace loads and I reckon I could score more than Benteke if they gave me a run out ??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I stopped watching my local "town" team when several of the players were guys I played with on a Sunday and I wasnt keen to pay to watch them. Back before that they had players signed from top league clubs who hadn't quite made it or were just seeing out their days before fully retiring - I've never been since, but I've seen Crystal Palace loads and I reckon I could score more than Benteke if they gave me a run out ??

With your dodgy body? You'd be more time in the physio than old sick note Anderton did at Spurs

D

Deleted member 18588

I'd have to agree with you, if you are talking unpredictability with regards to the championship, but obviously not the same technical standard. Without sounding condescending, i was talking the top/premier divisions throughout Europe, or the world.(y)
Looking at the top 5 leagues in Europe (England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain) I would say that none are particularly exciting as each is dominated by only one or two teams.

If viewed from a technical ability perspective then I would have to say that La Liga is perhaps top of the list.

The EPL still seems unable to attract the very, very best players like M'bappe, Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo or Lewandoski.

Overall I still quite enjoy watching PL games but I think that there is a danger of the League and clubs believing the hype.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Looking at the top 5 leagues in Europe (England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain) I would say that none are particularly exciting as each is dominated by only one or two teams.

If viewed from a technical ability perspective then I would have to say that La Liga is perhaps top of the list.

The EPL still seems unable to attract the very, very best players like M'bappe, Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo or Lewandoski.

Overall I still quite enjoy watching PL games but I think that there is a danger of the League and clubs believing the hype.

I agree to an extent. I do think that players that go to those other leagues know they're winning the title though which helps.

In the last 20 years id imagine the PL has had more champions than the rest. Granted each season usually ends as a two horse race, but the horses change.