Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at the top 5 leagues in Europe (England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain) I would say that none are particularly exciting as each is dominated by only one or two teams.

If viewed from a technical ability perspective then I would have to say that La Liga is perhaps top of the list.

The EPL still seems unable to attract the very, very best players like M'bappe, Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo or Lewandoski.

Overall I still quite enjoy watching PL games but I think that there is a danger of the League and clubs believing the hype.
You can't tell me that M'bappe and Neymar went to PSG to test themselves in Ligue 1? Money talks and big players follow the money.

I think you are also being slightly unfair on players who would pretty much walk into any team in the world right now who play in England. De Bruyne, Aguero, Salah, Van Dijk, Mane, Allison spring immediately to mind.

Incidentally, I agree with your other points, as do most other posters it seems. The PL is probably the most exciting of the top leagues, would the Bundesliga challenge that?, but not actually the best league.

D

Deleted member 18588

You can't tell me that M'bappe and Neymar went to PSG to test themselves in Ligue 1? Money talks and big players follow the money.

I think you are also being slightly unfair on players who would pretty much walk into any team in the world right now who play in England. De Bruyne, Aguero, Salah, Van Dijk, Mane, Allison spring immediately to mind.

Incidentally, I agree with your other points, as do most other posters it seems. The PL is probably the most exciting of the top leagues, would the Bundesliga challenge that?, but not actually the best league.
Well there are two players in your list of PL players over whom I might disagree with you but that's another discussion.

Certainly the money is a massive factor in determining where players go but since the PL is the richest league in the world and one or two clubs could match PSG's financial offers there must be some reason why these sort of players shy away.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well there are two players in your list of PL players over whom I might disagree with you but that's another discussion.

Certainly the money is a massive factor in determining where players go but since the PL is the richest league in the world and one or two clubs could match PSG's financial offers there must be some reason why these sort of players shy away.

We're both of an age when we can remember when Italy could blow everyone out the water, except possibly Spain.

Barca and Real for me (and most) have always been the two world heavyweights, financially. Aided and abetted by UEFA allowing them to keep their hegemony on their self-negotiated TV deals at the expense of the rest of the Spanish league up until recently, but mainly based on their worldwide support base, anchored by South Americans footy fans. Tax fiddles and local council/government bail outs have also kept them at the top of their tree, as well.

I agree, us / man U / city / Chelsea still havent been able to afford the real "top,top" players, when at the right age and form for the last 30+ years, and have either seen the players mentioned being past their best, not reached their full potential yet or just not fancied by Real or Barca.

They are the the only two who can still tempt top Liverpool / Chelsea / Man U players when at their peak away, although would be interesting to see if they wanted a city player over the next few years, how they would get on.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many moons ago I got involved in Carshalton Athletic doing the gates etc and I agree it is a great experience. I've a few mates heavily involved with Kingstonian for well over 30 years and they will rarely if ever got to a PL or EFL game as they don't like it

My dad used to play for them as well as Sutton Utd for a short while.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now this thread can properly begin :D. Opening weekend fixtures.

Let's hope we see the transfer market really begin now, it adds some fun to things.

Saturday 12 September:

• Crystal Palace v Southampton
  • Fulham v Arsenal
  • Liverpool v Leeds United
  • Tottenham Hotspur v Everton
  • West Bromwich Albion v Leicester City
  • West Ham United v Newcastle United
Monday 14 September:

• Brighton v Chelsea
  • Sheffield United v Wolves
Fixtures to be rescheduled:

• Burnley v Manchester United
  • Manchester City v Aston Villa

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Now this thread can properly begin :D. Opening weekend fixtures.

Let's hope we see the transfer market really begin now, it adds some fun to things.

Saturday 12 September:

• Crystal Palace v Southampton
  • Fulham v Arsenal
  • Liverpool v Leeds United
  • Tottenham Hotspur v Everton
  • West Bromwich Albion v Leicester City
  • West Ham United v Newcastle United
Monday 14 September:

• Brighton v Chelsea
  • Sheffield United v Wolves
Fixtures to be rescheduled:

• Burnley v Manchester United
  • Manchester City v Aston Villa

Would have been ok in the right thread :p

4LEX

Visit site
Neymar is a superb player but also vastly overrated.

Wasting his peak years in a third rate league, coasting along. Miles away from the Balon D'or which is why he left Barcelona for in the first place..... He's now more associated with diving, crying and being totally unprofessional.

I hope he wakes up and rejoins Barcelona or gives the next 2-3 years total dedication at big club. Although in the current market and with PSG's wealth, theres no club that would take a chance on him.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after his arrest on the Greek island of Mykonos.

That's quite the rap sheet!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after his arrest on the Greek island of Mykonos.

That's quite the rap sheet!

1m

Harry Maguire handed a prison sentence of 21 months and 10 days. But this will be suspended because it is a first offence and charges were misdemeanours.