Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes that’s a good reason
But Covid dosnt make you miss the target from 6 yds like some of the players have done.
They have played some really good football and lost or drawn games they really should have won.
I hope they stay up as they should be well above the fight.
But the table dosnt lie.!

Maybe if they were able to pick the likes of Ryan Fraser they would have done, small squad and losing some of your best players due to the pandemic totally out of their control, whilst the likes of Villa have got McGinn back who was due to be out for the season

PS the table does lie, guess youre not an xG fan lol

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe if they were able to pick the likes of Ryan Fraser they would have done, small squad and losing some of your best players due to the pandemic totally out of their control, whilst the likes of Villa have got McGinn back who was due to be out for the season

PS the table does lie, guess youre not an xG fan lol
I played CB in the day.
There is a certain amount of pressure build up when you see your strikers miss chance after chance.
You know one mistake and your beaten.
I think they have played well enough without the first choice players to stay up .
But you can’t survive if you don’t take the chances.
All teams do this I know.
But I have enjoyed watching Bournemouth’s football but ultimately it might not be good enough due to outside factors as you say .
That would be a shame as they do play nice footy.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No I dont think it does. The only changes to PL games was drinks breaks and extra subs which all clubs agreed on a health and safety basis.

If the games were played in neutral venues I'd agree as it takes home advantage away for some of the other clubs, ie those with smaller pitches etc

The CL has become a complete different competition to the one prior to lock down, a single game knockout on neutral a venue.

Add in the new quarantine rules from spain and the potential spike in numbers it makes sense to null and void it.

They changed the rules of Golf this year.
So should all the winners have asterisk next to their names?
You can only play by the rules set by the ruling bodies.

If the nature of the competition is fundamentally different due to the change of rules then yes IMO there should be an asterisk after the name of the winners. So the winner of the CL this year should have an asterisk because switching to straight knock out rather than two legs is a fundamental change in the competition.

With regards to Stu's point about agreeing the changes due to health and safety, surely the same could be said of the changes to the CL. For health and safety reasons the clubs have agreed to switch to a single knock out game being played at neutral venues in Portugal.

The potential spike in numbers also doesn't add up as an argument. There are 900 new cases reported in Spain. The PL restarted on 17th June and on that date the UK had 1346 new cases. On 28th May when the decision to restart the PL was made there were 1887 new cases.

Just love the fact that Liverpool fans are now thinking it's a good idea to make the CL null and void when they were so vocal about the PL not being made null and void. And for the record, the only time I suggested that the PL should be voided was in jest because my brother is a Liverpool fan.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the nature of the competition is fundamentally different due to the change of rules then yes IMO there should be an asterisk after the name of the winners. So the winner of the CL this year should have an asterisk because switching to straight knock out rather than two legs is a fundamental change in the competition.

With regards to Stu's point about agreeing the changes due to health and safety, surely the same could be said of the changes to the CL. For health and safety reasons the clubs have agreed to switch to a single knock out game being played at neutral venues in Portugal.

The potential spike in numbers also doesn't add up as an argument. There are 900 new cases reported in Spain. The PL restarted on 17th June and on that date the UK had 1346 new cases. On 28th May when the decision to restart the PL was made there were 1887 new cases.

Just love the fact that Liverpool fans are now thinking it's a good idea to make the CL null and void when they were so vocal about the PL not being made null and void. And for the record, the only time I suggested that the PL should be voided was in jest because my brother is a Liverpool fan.
As a Liverpool fan I don’t think it should be voided.
But!
It was always a knock out years ago!
Only the Champions were in it.
It should revert to that imo. In the future.
I said so last year when City were champs by the way.
It’s not about H&S it’s about money just like the PL.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a Liverpool fan I don’t think it should be voided.
But!
It was always a knock out years ago!
Only the Champions were in it.
It should revert to that imo. In the future.
I said so last year when City were champs by the way.
It’s not about H&S it’s about money just like the PL.

Apologies, I should have put the word "some" in the sentence about Liverpool fans. And of course it's about money and not H&S. I was just responding to Stu's comment about clubs agreeing changes due to health and safety.

I would also agree with your point about champions only and a knockout competition but again the changes have been made because of money and making sure the big teams get the best chance of progressing. I can't imagine that UEFA would be too happy if the first few rounds of draws threw up Barcelona v Juventus, Real Madrid v Bayern Munich etc and saw many of the big teams getting eliminated. Can't risk letting the smaller teams make too much money by progressing through the competition thanks to a series of "easy" draws. Two or three years of Barcelona and Juventus going out in the first round and Shakthar Donetsk or Apoel Nicosia getting through to a quarter or semi final would upset the apple cart.

D

Deleted member 1740

No it cant. The actual competition has changed completely. Losing the 2nd leg is a massive change to the competition

That's all part of the fun ?

Just checked the list and you're on it....

?

D

Deleted member 1740

Apologies, I should have put the word "some" in the sentence about Liverpool fans. And of course it's about money and not H&S. I was just responding to Stu's comment about clubs agreeing changes due to health and safety.

I would also agree with your point about champions only and a knockout competition but again the changes have been made because of money and making sure the big teams get the best chance of progressing. I can't imagine that UEFA would be too happy if the first few rounds of draws threw up Barcelona v Juventus, Real Madrid v Bayern Munich etc and saw many of the big teams getting eliminated. Can't risk letting the smaller teams make too much money by progressing through the competition thanks to a series of "easy" draws. Two or three years of Barcelona and Juventus going out in the first round and Shakthar Donetsk or Apoel Nicosia getting through to a quarter or semi final would upset the apple cart.

Who wants to see FC Copenhagen v Cluj in the semi's?? BT and co arent paying £1bn for those games.

Unfortunately the CL is a european super league and that's it.

D

Deleted member 1740

Totally agree, if it works this year it should go back to being straight knockout over 2 legs and none of this mini league rubbish.(y)

Jesus are you agreeing with me on purpose?? That's 4 times in as many posts???

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes see that but it’s why some teams don’t try to hard in the FA cup and league cup.
In my humble opinion of course.