Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Terrible penalties from Spurs, but well played by Krul.
I just saw the last one that was saved on breakfast TV. I have to say I cheered inwardly as the taker did one of those irritating stuttering runs.

On a side note, pleased for Krul. Very popular up here from his time at Newcastle, suffered a few injuries that looked to damage his career but he is now back playing PL football and playing well. Based on comments from people who came across him he is another one of the good guys.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just saw the last one that was saved on breakfast TV. I have to say I cheered inwardly as the taker did one of those irritating stuttering runs.

On a side note, pleased for Krul. Very popular up here from his time at Newcastle, suffered a few injuries that looked to damage his career but he is now back playing PL football and playing well. Based on comments from people who came across him he is another one of the good guys.

Spurs have bought the wrong Fernandes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
(Almost) nothing makes me happier than watching spurs lose, but it still drives me mad when nothing is done about keepers coming off their line for pens.
We have great goals disallowed for a mm here or there where no real advantage is gained, yet pens are saved when even my naked eye can discern a movement of a couple of feet which yields a huge advantage. The officiating of the game is so far gone it's not even funny.

Wolf

Visit site
(Almost) nothing makes me happier than watching spurs lose, but it still drives me mad when nothing is done about keepers coming off their line for pens.
We have great goals disallowed for a mm here or there where no real advantage is gained, yet pens are saved when even my naked eye can discern a movement of a couple of feet which yields a huge advantage. The officiating of the game is so far gone it's not even funny.
Whilst all that you've written is factually true, can we focus on the positives of your post and Spurs getting beat ?

Swango1980

Visit site
The linesman has one job to do in a penalty, as far as I am aware. Make sure the keeper doesn't come off their line. So, it's hard to understand why this is never penalised. Either linesman have been told to do this with their eyes closed, or they've been told not to bother flagging if keepers come off their line "a little bit". But yeah, I don't understand this law at all. As far as I remember, back at the womens World Cup, if a goalkeeper came a mm off their line and saved it, the penalty had to be retaken (to be fair, that too had a lot of criticism from fans). So, I guess we are back to allowing some subjective tolerance?

Swango1980

Visit site
Yep. This is what's so crazy. There is absolutely no tolerance anywhere else, yet in this game changing facet of the laws, anything goes.
Madness.
To be honest, are the rules of football the same all over the world. Yes, the general rules are the same, but I'm pretty sure how they are implemented is completely different.

For example, we now know that, if a ball accidentally hits a players arm/hand (even the most minor of accidental touches that seemingly has no influence on where the ball would ultimately end up) in the Premier League, the referee could see it but, rightly, would never give a free kick for handball. In most cases, that will be the end of the matter. But, if the team end up scoring, VAR automatically classes that as handball and goal ruled out. So, basically, it will only ever be classed as handball IF that players team scores a goal, but in no other circumstances.

So, that happens in the Premier League (and I presume other English competitions). However, if exactly the same thing happened in the Champions League, Europa League, International match, etc, would the exact same procedure apply? Or, is this solely the FA deciding on their own that that is their interpretation of it, rather than FIFA or UEFA?

Perhaps it is the same with judging keepers being on their lines, and goodness knows what else. Like their own Local Rules

D

Deleted member 16999

The Handball Rule
To be honest, are the rules of football the same all over the world. Yes, the general rules are the same, but I'm pretty sure how they are implemented is completely different.

For example, we now know that, if a ball accidentally hits a players arm/hand (even the most minor of accidental touches that seemingly has no influence on where the ball would ultimately end up) in the Premier League, the referee could see it but, rightly, would never give a free kick for handball. In most cases, that will be the end of the matter. But, if the team end up scoring, VAR automatically classes that as handball and goal ruled out. So, basically, it will only ever be classed as handball IF that players team scores a goal, but in no other circumstances.

So, that happens in the Premier League (and I presume other English competitions). However, if exactly the same thing happened in the Champions League, Europa League, International match, etc, would the exact same procedure apply? Or, is this solely the FA deciding on their own that that is their interpretation of it, rather than FIFA or UEFA?

Perhaps it is the same with judging keepers being on their lines, and goodness knows what else. Like their own Local Rules
The Handball Rule changes were brought in by the IFAB, the PL complies with them.

Obviously not all games are covered by VAR and some incidents maybe missed by Officials in those games.

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

Swango1980

Visit site
The Handball Rule

The Handball Rule changes were brought in by the IFAB, the PL complies with them.

Obviously not all games are covered by VAR and some incidents maybe missed by Officials in those games.

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf
Cheers

It is just that, to my memory, I don't remember any European games having a goal ruled out by a minor accidental handball. Perhaps it has just been a coincidence that it has not arisen in any game I have watched, although it seems fairly regular in Premier League.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh right, has Gedson been branded a flop already then? I haven't even seen him play yet, he's only been here 5 minutes.

not saying he is a flop.. he just isnt ready this minute for the premier league

if we had loaned him what would be the point? he wouldnt be ready for a relegation battle

instead we loaned soucek who is more developed and fitted straight into our squad

however he also fitted into standard west ham

injured after 3 games

4LEX

Visit site
?my last point was more about how quickly people on SM speculate on the cause of the altercation and how its dangerous to be speculating/accusing racism without being certain.

Totally agree on this. Rudiger accused Spurs fans of racism a few months back. It was investigated and no evidence offered yet he still had the cheek to say he was right. The media were too scared to accuse him of making false/incorrect allegations up, so it was brushed under the carpet. As a result the damage was done to Spurs fans and then when they booed him the other week in response, he had a pathetic moan and they got more bad publicity. Nothing was said about how he might've been mistaken, acted irresponsibly and accused without evidence.

I'm all for players and fans standing upto to racism but we're seeing a dangerous culture developing where the race card is played for any sort of thing players/fans don't like. Which devalues genuine issues of racism in society.

4LEX

Visit site
according to the fans “ City’s going down with a billion in the bank “. So maybe not ?

I don't get this song. I know United used to sing it when you were struggling in 2008 but why bring it back about yourselves? You're in no danger of relegation and don't have a billion in the bank......more like 800 billion in a portfolio of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Totally agree on this. Rudiger accused Spurs fans of racism a few months back. It was investigated and no evidence offered yet he still had the cheek to say he was right. The media were too scared to accuse him of making false/incorrect allegations up, so it was brushed under the carpet. As a result the damage was done to Spurs fans and then when they booed him the other week in response, he had a pathetic moan and they got more bad publicity. Nothing was said about how he might've been mistaken, acted irresponsibly and accused without evidence.

I'm all for players and fans standing upto to racism but we're seeing a dangerous culture developing where the race card is played for any sort of thing players/fans don't like. Which devalues genuine issues of racism in society.
Just because there was no evidence to 100% back him up, are you saying that there was evidence to say he was lying?

4LEX

Visit site
Just because there was no evidence to 100% back him up, are you saying that there was evidence to say he was lying?

It's not about being 100%, there wasn't even a single bit of evidence. I'm saying people should be more careful how they throw around accusations of racism.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's not about being 100%, there wasn't even a single bit of evidence. I'm saying people should be more careful how they throw around accusations of racism.
Yes, but what I mean is. Rudiger may well have experienced racism. How can you tell a player to stay quiet, unless they can be sure there is evidence to back them up? Is that not like telling somebody not to report an assault unless they can absolutely prove it? The media were probably not too "scared" to accuse him of making false allegations, unless you say there is evidence that he WAS making false allegations. You can't on one hand accuse him of making these allegations without any evidence, and then accuse the media of not calling him out on it even though they have no evidence he was incorrect.

The truth could well be that, he was being truthful, but there just didn't happen to be enough evidence to find anybody guilty of anything?

Btw, I'd agree with your general point. In my opinion, I do believe that the "race card" is played by some very easily when certain individuals / groups may not be getting beneficial treatment. I'm all for looking into racism, but it becomes so frustrating when white people are accused of being racist, casual racist or white privileged, when many of these white people could be the nicest people you would ever meet. It's not just race. You gently try and debate that, very possibly, it isn't fair on biological females if men-female transgender people are allowed to compete against them, you are automatically classed as transphobic by some, argument over. Religion, Sexuality, Gender, etc., all the same.

So, I really do understand your point. I don't know the Rudiger case, your post only brought it to my attention. But, I just think it is best not to point the finger at anyone unless we have good reason to think that he was just making it up. Personally, I'd doubt a person in a high profile position would just make something up like that, but of course there may still be a very small chance he did, or was mistaken, but probably only very small.

Last edited: