Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

So has the offside rule they changed that
So has the handball rule they changed that.
You could charge the keeper in the net they changed that etc etc.
Now you can see red for excessive force in a challenge you are going for the ball.
But hack him down from behind NO attempt to play the ball??? Yellow.
Rules evolve just seems this one dosnt.
Probably because all situations are already covered, ie, “professional” foul, a “accidental” trip as a player runs through and a blatant body check or shirt pull can all be classified as a “professional” foul and all can be harmless, they have the same intent as a player hacking an opposition player down and breaking their leg.

All the above could be classed as a “professional” foul, but 3 are dealt with by a Yellow Card the other a Red Card.

Or are you suggesting all “professional” fouls, regardless of were they happen on the field should be a Red Card?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably because all situations are already covered, ie, “professional” foul, a “accidental” trip as a player runs through and a blatant body check or shirt pull can all be classified as a “professional” foul and all can be harmless, they have the same intent as a player hacking an opposition player down and breaking their leg.

All the above could be classed as a “professional” foul, but 3 are dealt with by a Yellow Card the other a Red Card.

Or are you suggesting all “professional” fouls, regardless of were they happen on the field should be a Red Card?
Not all but the Milner one ,Sons one on Gomez yes.
If you hack someone down from behind no attempt for the ball that’s a red imo.
It’s already treated differently depending if your the last defender.
If Milner had done that and he was the last man it’s a different card.

Swango1980

Visit site
Should Milner have had a red card, under the current rules of the game? Probably not, as others have already said, that has just become part and parcel of football, where yellow is automatic (although maybe his specific challenge was borderline?)

However, if the question is "Should the Rules be changed to make Milner's type challenge automatic red?". Personally, I feel they should. Not sure how they would be worded exactly, because I don't think a tug on the shirt should be an automatic red (unless they are clean through on goal), and at other times there may be a lazy half attempt to win the ball, and a player gets no where near it. I don't think that should be red either, because you could end up stopping players from actually trying to tackle at all. And, I don't think anyone wants that. Of course, there will then be a subjective issue in the middle, where the question is did a player hack another player down, or make a genuine attempt to win ball. But, there will always be subjectivity I guess, no matter where you draw the line.

But, when a player slides in, where it is pretty obvious that their only intention was to bring down the player, then I personally wouldn't complain if an automatic red card was issued. A sin bin might be another idea, as others suggested. Although, these sorts of challenges often happen in the last part of the game when players are getting desperate, so a sin bin may not be a massive deterrent (unless a ban afterwards also happens).

If the rule was changed, then I would agree that the Son challenge on Gomes could warrant a red card (but not under the current rules, I don't believe)

I watched the Leicester game last weekend. Barnes was running through towards goal. Not sure who it was, but an opponent made an absolutely barbaric attempt to hack him down from behind (it was high and from behind). However, he completely missed the player, thus no action was taken. Had he hit him, the referee could have absolutely shown him red (the commentators gasped when the challenge came in). What surprised me a little was, there was no suggestion that VAR were even looking at it. So, I'm not sure if "red card type" challenges are generally only an offence if they make contact with the opposition, and not an offence if you miss. But, that is a separate issue really.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should Milner have had a red card, under the current rules of the game? Probably not, as others have already said, that has just become part and parcel of football, where yellow is automatic (although maybe his specific challenge was borderline?)

However, if the question is "Should the Rules be changed to make Milner's type challenge automatic red?". Personally, I feel they should. Not sure how they would be worded exactly, because I don't think a tug on the shirt should be an automatic red (unless they are clean through on goal), and at other times there may be a lazy half attempt to win the ball, and a player gets no where near it. I don't think that should be red either, because you could end up stopping players from actually trying to tackle at all. And, I don't think anyone wants that. Of course, there will then be a subjective issue in the middle, where the question is did a player hack another player down, or make a genuine attempt to win ball. But, there will always be subjectivity I guess, no matter where you draw the line.

But, when a player slides in, where it is pretty obvious that their only intention was to bring down the player, then I personally wouldn't complain if an automatic red card was issued. A sin bin might be another idea, as others suggested. Although, these sorts of challenges often happen in the last part of the game when players are getting desperate, so a sin bin may not be a massive deterrent (unless a ban afterwards also happens).

If the rule was changed, then I would agree that the Son challenge on Gomes could warrant a red card (but not under the current rules, I don't believe)

I watched the Leicester game last weekend. Barnes was running through towards goal. Not sure who it was, but an opponent made an absolutely barbaric attempt to hack him down from behind (it was high and from behind). However, he completely missed the player, thus no action was taken. Had he hit him, the referee could have absolutely shown him red (the commentators gasped when the challenge came in). What surprised me a little was, there was no suggestion that VAR were even looking at it. So, I'm not sure if "red card type" challenges are generally only an offence if they make contact with the opposition, and not an offence if you miss. But, that is a separate issue really.
I agree with most of what you say except the last bit !
If a player threw a punch but missed is that still a red.
I just don’t like players hacking them down from behind.
Endangering the safety of an opponent should be red .
But ultimately it would be up to the ref to decide.
I seen the one you cite and imo that’s still a red it was disgusting from a so called Professional who wasn’t even quick enough to foul him.

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree with most of what you say except the last bit !
If a player threw a punch but missed is that still a red.
I just don’t like players hacking them down from behind.
Endangering the safety of an opponent should be red .
But ultimately it would be up to the ref to decide.
I seen the one you cite and imo that’s still a red it was disgusting from a so called Professional who wasn’t even quick enough to foul him.
I think we are in agreement with the last bit? I think, from what you say, you think it should have been a red card, even though he missed him. I also agree it should have been considered. I also believe (like you I think), if a player throws a punch and misses, it is still a red.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not all but the Milner one ,Sons one on Gomez yes.
If you hack someone down from behind no attempt for the ball that’s a red imo.
It’s already treated differently depending if your the last defender.
If Milner had done that and he was the last man it’s a different card.
It can be a Red for serious foul play or violent conduct, that’s up to the Ref to decide.

Swango1980

Visit site
He was very distressed that they hadn't brought in another centre back, and that they need to bring in another top class striker? Ironically, Liverpool have had one of the strongest defences in world football this year, and their attacking line up is pretty decent. Sure, it's always nice to look for improvements in those areas, but I'd have thought a he'd have more of a desire to strengthen in midfield if anything.

I guess when he wakes up in the morning, it must be such an ordeal for this guy to decide what order he'll brush his teeth, eat breakfast, get dressed, etc before he goes to work, and goodness knows how he'd react if he ran out of milk.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cup draw

Sheff Utd v arsenal
newcastle v Man City
spuds or Norwich v derby or Man Utd
leicester v Chelsea