Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Totally agree with you. It's a professional foul and should be a straight red. No attempt to play the ball and potentially endangering the safety of an opponent. Imo of course.

I think it must come down to the level of force in the tackle and how far from the goal - pulling someone back as they are clear on the halfway is also a professional foul - can you see that as a red. Yep Milner brought him down , it’s a foul and a yellow card but I can’t see it ever being more than that

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Theres a fine line and I think Milner was just on the right side so to speak.

The ones like the Choudhury assault on Salah etc are the red cards for sure.

Careful Stu, you'll be accused of having red specs on. Challenge by Liverpool player - OK. Challenge against a Liverpool player - should be a red card. ;)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it must come down to the level of force in the tackle and how far from the goal - pulling someone back as they are clear on the halfway is also a professional foul - can you see that as a red. Yep Milner brought him down , it’s a foul and a yellow card but I can’t see it ever being more than that

The big difference for me is that pulling a player back doesn't potentially endanger them. Taking them out like Milner did tonight, Son did to Gomes or Choudhury did to Salah does potentially endanger the opponent.

D

Deleted member 1740

Careful Stu, you'll be accused of having red specs on. Challenge by Liverpool player - OK. Challenge against a Liverpool player - should be a red card. ;)

it wouldn’t be wrong to assume ??

On a serious note I only mentioned the Salah one because I saw it and still can’t believe it was only a yellow. I’m sure there’s plenty more aswell but I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

D

Deleted member 15344

The big difference for me is that pulling a player back doesn't potentially endanger them. Taking them out like Milner did tonight, Son did to Gomes or Choudhury did to Salah does potentially endanger the opponent.

It’s going to be very hard to judge on “potential” endangering though because even the smallest of trips could endanger a player - understand what you’re saying but think it’s hard to quantify- think the rule at the moment works well

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s going to be very hard to judge on “potential” endangering though because even the smallest of trips could endanger a player - understand what you’re saying but think it’s hard to quantify- think the rule at the moment works well

I just think that there's a difference between pulling an opponent's shirt to stop them and taking out both their legs and bringing them down. I'm happy to admit that it would require different rules for the same offence - "no attempt to play the ball" - but we already have that for hand ball.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes I agree.
you can be sent off for scoring two goals and taking your shirt off afterwards.
But hack somebody down NO attempt for the ball and it’s yellow.
If you tackle someone from behind actually going for the ball you can see red.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Totaly agree with you, however some on here were saying even accidental fouls can injure players so do you ban tackling altogether. For me if there is no attempt to play the ball, players need to go in sin bins. If it is the last defender, you get to pic the best shower having been sent off.

D

Deleted member 16999

No it isn’t!
It may not be a part of the game you like or accept, but as said previously, it’s been in the game for decades upon decades and at many levels (including the highest) of the game it’s an acceptable practise and the offence is covered by Law 12.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It may not be a part of the game you like or accept, but as said previously, it’s been in the game for decades upon decades and at many levels (including the highest) of the game it’s an acceptable practise and the offence is covered by Law 12.
So has the offside rule they changed that
So has the handball rule they changed that.
You could charge the keeper in the net they changed that etc etc.
Now you can see red for excessive force in a challenge you are going for the ball.
But hack him down from behind NO attempt to play the ball??? Yellow.
Rules evolve just seems this one dosnt.