Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

l’ve seen many of *** keepers at Anfield but Pickford tops the lot. He’s a myth. Very average keeper and if he was foreign he’d have been bombed out by now by Everton.
Steady tiger, I’ve said many times we have a low standard of English keepers and, imo, prior to this season he’s been the best of a bad bunch.
He’s never let England down, unlike some outfield players over the years, but now is the time to give Henderson from Sheff Utd a chance, no other English Keeper has done anything to prove they are better than Pickford.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
l’ve seen many of *** keepers at Anfield but Pickford tops the lot. He’s a myth. Very average keeper and if he was foreign he’d have been bombed out by now by Everton.

Trouble is, who else is there with any degree of experience especially at international level? Pickford is the bottom of a deep barrel and good English keepers we use to have in abundance seem a distant memory. How many more caps would someone like Corrigan have got had it not been for Clemence (who would have got more) and Shilton. I'd like to see both Henderson and Pope get a proper go

D

Deleted member 15344

Steady tiger, I’ve said many times we have a low standard of English keepers and, imo, prior to this season he’s been the best of a bad bunch.
He’s never let England down, unlike some outfield players over the years, but now is the time to give Henderson from Sheff Utd a chance, no other English Keeper has done anything to prove they are better than Pickford.
Pope and Heaton have both proved themselves better in the Prem over the past couple of seasons and Henderson this season as well

D

Deleted member 16999

Pope and Heaton have both proved themselves better in the Prem over the past couple of seasons and Henderson this season as well
No they haven’t Phil, Pickford has remained No1.
Both play for the same Club during that time and due to injury, neither has dominated, so not sure how you reconcile that over the past couple of seasons.
Henderson deserves a chance.

Edit: Heaton is also out for the season, hence Reina going to Villa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'd like to see Pope take the gloves. Keepers generally peak mid to late 20's. England in the last 10 years seem to always pick the best youngster and then bomb them out before they actually peak.

D

Deleted member 16999

Pope would be my first choice. I think Pickford is a ticking timebomb in an Englad shirt especially with the ball at his feet
You mean Pickford who has a far better pass rate than Pope with the ball at his feet, 58% to Pope’s 40%
Clean sheets to this weekend:
Pickford 12 from 40 matches to Pope, 11 from 33.

Play stats either way, but Pope is doing nothing special.

Henderson is the one if anyone should be given a chance.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You mean Pickford who has a far better pass rate than Pope with the ball at his feet, 58% to Pope’s 40%

Are those for all passes? I'd imagine at Burnley, Pope doesn't plan half as many short passes as Pickford. That's gonna have a big impact on those stats.

D

Deleted member 1740

Both play for the same Club during that time and due to injury, neither has dominated, so not sure how you reconcile that over the past couple of seasons.

Edit: Heaton is also out for the season, hence Reina going to Villa.

Stick to hockey Phil ??

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry Paul but they have when Pope was injured Heaton was superb , when Heaton was out Pope was superb , Heaton left for Villa and was excellent until injured, Pope this season has been been excellent. Pickford has stayed number one at his club despite multiple errors costing his team - him being number one all the time doesn’t always mean great play but can also point to poor management continuing to play an error prone keeper.

Henderson has done well this season but Pope should be the one given the chance now with Henderson waiting in the wings

D

Deleted member 1740

Whose collating those stats for Pickford at Everton games,Stevie Wonder? Pickfords distribution is his weakest part of his game.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry Paul but they have when Pope was injured Heaton was superb , when Heaton was out Pope was superb , Heaton left for Villa and was excellent until injured, Pope this season has been been excellent. Pickford has stayed number one at his club despite multiple errors costing his team - him being number one all the time doesn’t always mean great play but can also point to poor management continuing to play an error prone keeper.

Henderson has done well this season but Pope should be the one given the chance now with Henderson waiting in the wings
Both gone from Superb to excellent, both injury prone and Pickford playing for a team struggling, he’s also saved us a few times.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not his biggest fan, I just think people clutch at straws looking for a replacement as he’s, sadly, been the best we’ve had recently.
I genuinely would love a better English keeper to come in and dominate, I just don’t see that in Pope.

D

Deleted member 15344

Both gone from Superb to excellent, both injury prone and Pickford playing for a team struggling, he’s also saved us a few times.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not his biggest fan, I just think people clutch at straws looking for a replacement as he’s, sadly, been the best we’ve had recently.
I genuinely would love a better English keeper to come in and dominate, I just don’t see that in Pope.

Heaton is now too old but then I wasn’t touting him for England just pointing out in my opinion he has been better than Pickford over the last 2/3 seasons

Pope isn’t injury prone - he had one bad injury with his shoulder which knocked him back for a season and then came back. Pope has also been playing for a team “struggling”

Henderson has been excellent this season but I think Pope is next in line to get an extended run

Pickford hasn’t been the best english GK in the Prem over the last few seasons - he just hasn’t and I’ll be amazed if anyone outside Everton thinks that. I think there was some stat that Pickfords errors last season led to more goals than anyone else and he has continued this season. He is the same as what we had with Mignolet- Sunderland do well flogging GK’s