Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As a neutral I'm struggling to see how it could be argued that spurs havent improved under Mourinho ?

Pretty sure ot was said last week that since his arrival, only Liverpool have accrued more PL points. I think its always been popular to criticise him.

Pep/Jose is similar to Ronaldo Messi imo.

D

Deleted member 16999

But how do we improve the officials? They are full time, fully trained and de-briefed after every game. How do we make them better and also improve the idiots with VAR who were referees themselves and not all of them were that good
It’s the first season of VAR in the PL, it’s been shocking at times, but, it will get better just like it has in the countries around Europe that are using it for the 2nd season, all teams have had decisions go for and against them.

I don’t think it’s affected the League positions overall and, it’s here to stay.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure ot was said last week that since his arrival, only Liverpool have accrued more PL points. I think its always been popular to criticise him.

Pep/Jose is similar to Ronaldo Messi imo.

I was/am a big fan of pochettinho and what he managed at spurs but for whatever reason they'd stagnated/declined under him and for me it was the right time for a change. Love him or hate him theres still very few better than Mourinho in the premiership for me

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If the excuse of covering your face is acceptable then imo the calls were right.

A freeze frame can show almost anything, only saw it this afternoon, but imo he blocks his face and then naturally turns as all players do as the ball is passing them. His hands are still rasied as its in one motion, so doesn't constitute a foul.

Agree that most would still want if for their team. Anyways, City missed theirs and Vardy is just as bad. So probably all level anyways ;)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s the first season of VAR in the PL, it’s been shocking at times, but, it will get better just like it has in the countries around Europe that are using it for the 2nd season, all teams have had decisions go for and against them.

I don’t think it’s affected the League positions overall and, it’s here to stay.

Yup. VAR’s goal at the beginning of the season was to improve decisions from 82 to around 87%. This means 13% error rate still could be in play and we’ve seen that. For me, it has got more of the decisions right. Yes, officials need to improve but not as much as some fans’ knowledge of VAR and the rules of football. The Premier League website has a good page on VAR and clears up quite a lot of the rubbish I’ve seen on this site about VAR. VAR is here and will improve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

If the excuse of covering your face is acceptable then imo the calls were right.

A freeze frame can show almost anything, only saw it this afternoon, but imo he blocks his face and then naturally turns as all players do as the ball is passing them. His hands are still rasied as its in one motion, so doesn't constitute a foul.

Agree that most would still want if for their team. Anyways, City missed theirs and Vardy is just as bad. So probably all level anyways ;)
I genuinely can’t think of another reason to cross your arms like that, if it had been one arm or the arms separated even with the same motive, I’d of said penalty, but watching it in real time and then on the slow mo’s, I thought it was the right call.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure I heard a well respected forum member on 5 live tonight on the way back from Selhurst commenting on VAR after he has been at the Bridge today. Fair to say not impressed with it!

On a side note, Newcastle were truly awful today. We played well, but wow they looked happy with a 1-0 defeat, which in a game against a team in the bottom half is not a good sign! their squad is one of weakest in the league imo.

Last edited:

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I genuinely can’t think of another reason to cross your arms like that, if it had been one arm or the arms separated even with the same motive, I’d of said penalty, but watching it in real time and then on the slow mo’s, I thought it was the right call.

I only saw the one that lead to a city penalty but the second I saw thw replay I knew it was going to be given as a penalty. Personally I dont agree with it being given, but with the rules as they are it had to be a penalty.

D

Deleted member 16999

I only saw the one that lead to a city penalty but the second I saw thw replay I knew it was going to be given as a penalty. Personally I dont agree with it being given, but with the rules as they are it had to be a penalty.
I reckon anytime you raise a hand above your head out to the side and a ball hits it, they are going to say penalty, it’s not seen as a natural position.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I reckon anytime you raise a hand above your head out to the side and a ball hits it, they are going to say penalty, it’s not seen as a natural position.

At the risk of continuing our previous disagreement.... if you look at the two stills from Phil's earlier post it shows that De Bruyne has his hands out to the side and above his head (which you said wasn't a penalty) but the Leicester player has his hand out to the side but not above his head (which you've said was a penalty).

EDIT - for clarity I think both should have been given as penalties.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

At the risk of continuing our previous disagreement.... if you look at the two stills from Phil's earlier post it shows that De Bruyne has his hands out to the side and above his head (which you said wasn't a penalty) but the Leicester player has his hand out to the side but not above his head (which you've said was a penalty).
Still happy to agree to disagree, Phil’s still shows Praet’s arm away from the body and his hand above (maybe level) with his head, absolutely still not the same thing.;)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still happy to agree to disagree, Phil’s still shows Praet’s arm away from the body and his hand above (maybe level) with his head, absolutely still not the same thing.;)

I've been doing my VAR thing with the lines which clearly shows that from where I've chosen to draw the lines one is clearly above the head and the other below......

VAR.jpeg

D

Deleted member 16999

I've been doing my VAR thing with the lines which clearly shows that from where I've chosen to draw the lines one is clearly above the head and the other below......

View attachment 29242
Give us your address mate, I’ve got some spare straws you can clutch at.;)

What part of they are not the same do you not see? Praet is in no way protecting his face, De Bruyne is facing a free kick, which Madison is trying to bend (bend) over the wall, De Bruyne thinks the ball is coming at his face and instantly raises his arms to protect himself.

Just seen on MOTD, the Referee in the replay of the ball hitting De Bruyne’s hands raises his arms in a crossing motion to show he believed De Bruyne was protecting himself.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Pretty sure I heard a well respected forum member on 5 live tonight on the way back from Selhurst commenting on VAR after he has been at the Bridge today. Fair to say not impressed with it!

On a side note, Newcastle were truly awful today. We played well, but wow they looked happy with a 1-0 defeat, which in a game against a team in the bottom half is not a good sign! their squad is one of weakest in the league imo.

Well respected? No, not me guv! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched the game from my comfy armchair, look at the position of both arms, it’s a natural reaction to cross both arms when protecting yourself, either your face or between your legs, the speed the ball moved he reacted naturally to me, personally I think people are looking for VAR problems were they don’t exist, there’s enough of them without looking for extras.

Why have refs "warned" players in walls about putting their hands up for the last 5 years then?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Give us your address mate, I’ve got some spare straws you can clutch at.;)

What part of they are not the same do you not see? Praet is in no way protecting his face, De Bruyne is facing a free kick, which Madison is trying to bend (bend) over the wall, De Bruyne thinks the ball is coming at his face and instantly raises his arms to protect himself.

Just seen on MOTD, the Referee in the replay of the ball hitting De Bruyne’s hands raises his arms in a crossing motion to show he believed De Bruyne was protecting himself.

To be clear I'm not arguing that the Man City penalty was a bad decision. IMO that was definitely a penalty. My disagreement is that I think that both of the Leicester ones should have been penalties. The referee might have thought that De Bruyne was protecting himself but my opinion is that he was wrong. And the Ederson challenge on Iheanacho (? spelling) should also have been a penalty.