Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

To be clear I'm not arguing that the Man City penalty was a bad decision. IMO that was definitely a penalty. My disagreement is that I think that both of the Leicester ones should have been penalties. The referee might have thought that De Bruyne was protecting himself but my opinion is that he was wrong. And the Ederson challenge on Iheanacho (? spelling) should also have been a penalty.
That’s why we love the game mate, today I agree with the decisions in the City game and disagreed with one in the Burnley game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The officials in the Chelsea game should be ashamed of themselves.
Given all the angles and reply’s they have to make a mistake like that is very poor.
Everyone makes mistakes at work but we don’t have somebody watching and backing up our mistakes.
Truly incompetent.
Another bad day for VAR.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The officials in the Chelsea game should be ashamed of themselves.
Given all the angles and reply’s they have to make a mistake like that is very poor.
Everyone makes mistakes at work but we don’t have somebody watching and backing up our mistakes.
Truly incompetent.
Another bad day for VAR.

You dont need all angles for that red today, any one of them was enough to show it was a clear red. That plus the maguire one, Chelsea very hard done by this week.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Refs have often shown walls by imitating an example of what not to do before the free kick is taken, and it is sometimes demonstrated by putting hands or an arm over the face.
You are allowed to protect your face but in this instance KDB had moved sideways so the ball was not going to hit his face.
So VAR should have seen the trajectory of the ball and given the pen.

D

Deleted member 16999

Refs have often shown walls by imitating an example of what not to do before the free kick is taken, and it is sometimes demonstrated by putting hands or an arm over the face.
As I put before, you are allowed to protect yourself, it’s up to the Ref to decide if that’s what they’re doing.
Let’s be honest, a different Ref may of made a different decision.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s why we love the game mate, today I agree with the decisions in the City game and disagreed with one in the Burnley game.

Which one in the Burnley game? The first disallowed Bournemouth goal that came off the shoulder or the second disallowed Bournemouth goal that came off the shoulder?

D

Deleted member 16999

Which one in the Burnley game? The first disallowed Bournemouth goal that came off the shoulder or the second disallowed Bournemouth goal that came off the shoulder?
The first one, came through/over a few players and hit him, the 2nd he watched the ball come over and his arm came out, why, I don’t know, although as they said on MOTD it was difficult to 100% show it was his arm and not his shoulder.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I put before, you are allowed to protect yourself, it’s up to the Ref to decide if that’s what they’re doing.
Let’s be honest, a different Ref may of made a different decision.

Even if you are, if the ball isnt going to hit your face and you can see it on replays, surely it should be given as a penalty?

I also presume that Ederson was protecting himself when he took Ieneacho out?

Anyway, who made you "ask the ref"? :):):)

D

Deleted member 16999

Even if you are, if the ball isnt going to hit your face and you can see it on replays, surely it should be given as a penalty?

I also presume that Ederson was protecting himself when he took Ieneacho out?

Anyway, who made you "ask the ref"? :):):)
De Bruyne’s reaction is instant and natural to me, if you look were the ball went, ie, between him and Rodrigo (I think) Maddison is trying to bend it, so I can understand him believing it’s coming at his face.

The Ederson one I thought was accidental, both committed and Ieneacho got there fractionally ahead.

I’m standing in for Homer, he’s having a night off.;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
De Bruyne’s reaction is instant and natural to me, if you look were the ball went, ie, between him and Rodrigo (I think) Maddison is trying to bend it, so I can understand him believing it’s coming at his face.

The Ederson one I thought was accidental, both committed and Ieneacho got there fractionally ahead.

This has always been a strange one for me.
If a player gets there just before you and you catch him with your foot it’s a foul!
But if he heads the ball and you head him nothing.
Same for the keepers ,striker gets the ball first in the air keeper misses and clatters him nothing.
Always been like that , but if you touch a keeper with a feather it’s a foul.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It wasnt accidental that Ederson ran 5 yards or more to challenge him.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen the Lo Celso incident. I've supported VAR and continue to do so.

But that was obviously a red card. The reason 'No where else to put his standing foot' is weak to say the least. Don’t understand why the on field officials didn’t spot that first time.

For TV viewers, we have got to have some sort of real time eavesdrop on the refs comms to at least understand the decision and rationale at the time. For match goers i dont have the answer and thats part of the weakness of VAR currently.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen the Lo Celso incident. I've supported VAR and continue to do so.

But that was obviously a red card. The reason 'No where else to put his standing foot' is weak to say the least. Don’t understand why the on field officials didn’t spot that first time.

For TV viewers, we have got to have some sort of real time eavesdrop on the refs comms to at least understand the decision and rationale at the time. For match goers i dont have the answer and thats part of the weakness of VAR currently.
The players own body was in the refs eyeline imo.
So can’t understand why he never went to the monitor.
After all “ I never had a clear view” was always a standard excuse.
As for VAR they have no excuse it was very poor.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you saying that Ederson didnt take the attacker out, after the ball had gone?

I agree with you. If the ball had been on the ground and the attacker got his foot there first and then the keeper wiped him out it would've been a penalty. Don't know why some people think that it's different with a ball in the air.

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree with you. If the ball had been on the ground and the attacker got his foot there first and then the keeper wiped him out it would've been a penalty. Don't know why some people think that it's different with a ball in the air.
So everytime a 50/50 ball goes 51/49 it’s a foul?o_O