Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What has happened to Spurs - no strikers and must be a bad situation when Aurier is having to come on - Chelsea aren’t great but making Spurs look ordinary

I understand they have a young Irish striker who is banging them in - so why not play him ? Ah of course Mourinho is manager

And LeCelso finally gets a card when he shouldn’t even be still on the pitch

Edit - and now the VAR say it should have been a red card ?!! What a joke .

Jose Mourinho, Jose Mourinho ?????
Daniel Levy, you've dropped one hell of a bollock

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As daft as it seems I would of liked to see tonight’s game end a draw. Would like to see Leicester finish in the top four. We know the title is going west of Manchester, so a couple of dropped points is neither here nor there now.

Last edited:

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't remember who it was the other day saying that spurs players wouldn't go down if they could get a shot away.... We'll watch today's game and tell me that winks, Sanchez and Moura havent gone down looking for a penalty rather than getting a shot away. It MUST have been coached into them to act like this... Absolute craziness.

Jose clearly coaching well ??

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone got any views on the Emerson assault on Iheanacho. Only saw it in real time from around 25 yards away, but looked a foul to me.

Also, how was a penalty not given for handball against de Breuyne, yet the one against Preat was given?

D

Deleted member 16999

View attachment 29241
so one a penalty the other one not ?!?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️
It was explained at the time by Carragher on TV and here’s an extract from the FIFA site:

As a rule, raising your arms to protect yourself from a speeding ball is not classed as intentional handball. Making that instant distinction is a crucial part of good soccer refereeing.

Your picture clearly shows De Bruyne protecting his face, Praett had his arms raised in an unnatural position.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Take out the VAR farce, and go back to when referees had sole decision making powers, but how many games have we been to where one of those pictures above is given and the other isn't? We'd moan like buggery if it was given against our team and loved it when we got the decision and it'll be analysed on SSN and MOTD but people just accepted the referee "gave what he saw"

Now with VAR and so many angles and input from the idiots at Stockley there is so much more inconsistency in decisions the whole system was brought into solve. Is the handball rule another with the "silhouette" and intent another that has simply got too difficult to get right every time? Is football and the laws becoming as complicated to interpret as the rules of golf and what happened to the beautiful game

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was explained at the time by Carragher on TV and here’s an extract from the FIFA site:

As a rule, raising your arms to protect yourself from a speeding ball is not classed as intentional handball. Making that instant distinction is a crucial part of good soccer refereeing.

Your picture clearly shows De Bruyne protecting his face, Praett had his arms raised in an unnatural position.

Have you seen the video of the incident? The ball isn't heading towards De Bruyne's face. It's going past him and towards the goal. The ball is travelling from right to left in that still image and is moving away from his face.

D

Deleted member 15344

The players do know that they can either head the ball using that bit above their face or jump out of the way.

Is that an actual rule or interpretation because that opens up people to be able to handball it whenever they wish

But I don’t think the ball was going at KBD face though

D

Deleted member 16999

Have you seen the video of the incident? The ball isn't heading towards De Bruyne's face. It's going past him and towards the goal. The ball is travelling from right to left in that still image and is moving away from his face.
I watched the game from my comfy armchair, look at the position of both arms, it’s a natural reaction to cross both arms when protecting yourself, either your face or between your legs, the speed the ball moved he reacted naturally to me, personally I think people are looking for VAR problems were they don’t exist, there’s enough of them without looking for extras.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I totally agree with what you say but do you think that with VAR and referees over reliance on it to give them a "correct" decision this distinction and interpretation made in the split second of the game has gone away and so every decision is becoming "sterile" now and this is what is leading to so many inconsistencies

D

Deleted member 16999

The players do know that they can either head the ball using that bit above their face or jump out of the way.

Is that an actual rule or interpretation because that opens up people to be able to handball it whenever they wish

But I don’t think the ball was going at KBD face though
That’s always been in place and was clarified as to why it wasn’t given during commentary.
I don’t think De Bruyne or any footballer would be stupid enough to think he could head the ball but decide to cross his arms and deflect it instead.

D

Deleted member 16999

I totally agree with what you say but do you think that with VAR and referees over reliance on it to give them a "correct" decision this distinction and interpretation made in the split second of the game has gone away and so every decision is becoming "sterile" now and this is what is leading to so many inconsistencies
No I don’t, I believe our Officials need to improve, but if both the guy on the pitch and the one in the booth think it’s a natural protective reaction, then why the fuss? It’s been used correctly.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watched the game from my comfy armchair, look at the position of both arms, it’s a natural reaction to cross both arms when protecting yourself, either your face or between your legs, the speed the ball moved he reacted naturally to me, personally I think people are looking for VAR problems were they don’t exist, there’s enough of them without looking for extras.

But he's not protecting himself. If his hands hadn't been there the ball would've missed him. How can you be protecting yourself from a ball that wouldn't have hit you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No I don’t, I believe our Officials need to improve, but if both the guy on the pitch and the one in the booth think it’s a natural protective reaction, then why the fuss? It’s been used correctly.

But how do we improve the officials? They are full time, fully trained and de-briefed after every game. How do we make them better and also improve the idiots with VAR who were referees themselves and not all of them were that good