Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Villa unlucky to concede a penalty there, don’t think that should have been given.
Very open game few mistakes but think we will come out with 3 points.
Grealish is a class player and will attract a lot of attention from so called bigger teams

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whilst It wont be so easy to get out this time the owners are more suited to that level

The level they invest gets them out the champ

Nolan was a great signing for a championship club

Come January we bought the second highest goal scorer in the champ for peanuts

We had bought maynard , Carew , loads of named who were perfect for that level even if maynard didn't hit it off for us he was proven at that level

Yes, historically we have been in the second tier more than the top tier and most of my good memories are of us in the second tier.
Don’t know if the current owners will hang around, got a feeling that once the gravy train stops, a couple of years of parachute payments, a bit of asset stripping then they can sell the club without having to pay the government any money back then they will be off.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Villa unlucky to concede a penalty there, don’t think that should have been given.
Very open game few mistakes but think we will come out with 3 points.
Grealish is a class player and will attract a lot of attention from so called bigger teams

just dont understand how thats a pen, hes already on the way down and still manages to play the ball

only a matter of time before its a non contact sport!

Would love Grealish at Arsenal, sadly be out of our reach

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh I agree, but think about your starting position and Phil’s comment above, Clubs like RM, Barca, Utd & yourselves have a massive commercial profile that gives an edge.

Let’s imagine a Saudi bought B’Mouth, from a player point of view they could have B’Mouth challenging for CL in 2-3 years with the right buys, money no object etc, but ffp wouldn’t allow it.

There profile would take 10-20yrs to get even a third of the way to meeting the commercial income of the big boys, and could still fail.

The well established big Clubs are somewhat protected by ffp.

Yes, but we possibly need a middle way, IF you still want to treasure football as a sport.

The 2/3 clubs who have short-cut winning the leagues and competing at the top ends (Blackburn, Chelsea and City) by massive over-investment have got to the top, and it could easily happen again. Lets face it if Bill Gates bought Tin-pot town rovers from the Conference, supported by a local populace of 20,000, with gates currently below 1,000, within 10-20 years he could have them winning the CL in a 60k stadium (although they may not fill it). If he brought in the equivalent likes of KDB, VVD, Messi, Ronaldo, Alisson and another 20 like them its not a competitive sport ;)

I also dont believe in keeping the same 3-4-6 "elite clubs" at the top for evermore either.

Share the TV money, share the CL money around the rest of the league, maybe even share around some of the other incomes, although I think its only right that each club keeps what it generates through the turnstiles and through locally purchased merchandise, at the very least. Make the incomes less disparate from Bournemouth to Man United. Maybe even look into how a draft system may work out (not saying it will BTW).

Also make the CL groups non-seeded, so if Liverpool, Real, Barca and Bayern end up in one group, hard cheese get on with it, instead of a pyramid system designed to keep the 6-8 mega clubs apart until the semis.

Stop the elite clubs dictating to the rest in Europe and in the Premiership with this "well if we dont get what we get, we'll form a European super league", and start spreading most of the wealth year after year, so other clubs dont have to make as much of a leap.

Fair enough, Liverpool/United/Arsenal etc fans want to see their money go to their own clubs and not to others when they buy tickets, shirts etc, but if more of the advertising/TV/CL "neutral" money comes into the game, split it more evenly.

But, I want it to be a sport and not just a billionaire's plaything as a route to making them famous or sports-washing to make a certain emirate to look like "good eggs". That is not a sport.

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think its more of a requirement for directors at West Ham to loan their own money to the club if needed, especially if its interest free, as the difference between them, and most, if not all other clubs, is, if other clubs are running at a loss, they can only do that whilst their assets exceed those debts/losses, otherwise they're insolvent, but I'd think that West Ham's assets are significantly less than any other club in the league as they own less, especially as they rent their ground, so they don't have any security, so I'd think it's tougher for the likes of West Ham to balance the books and operate within their means than most if not all other clubs who have substantial assets and other investments.

But they just see the club as a cash cow. As Pauljames said if they took half a mill each and loaned the money interest free that would be honest, instead they portray themselves as fans not taking a penny from the club when the truth is very different. They are worth about a Billion between them but they try to do everything on the cheap.... Christ they were even selling the old seats from UP for £50 a pop rather than just letting everyone help themselves. Threatening fans that if we took them after the last game it would be a criminal offence!

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes, but we possibly need a middle way, IF you still want to treasure football as a sport.

The 2/3 clubs who have short-cut winning the leagues and competing at the top ends (Blackburn, Chelsea and City) by massive over-investment have got to the top, and it could easily happen again. Lets face it if Bill Gates bought Tin-pot town rovers from the Conference, supported by a local populace of 20,000, with gates currently below 1,000, within 10-20 years he could have them winning the CL in a 6k stadium (although they may not fill it). If he brought in the equivalent likes of KDB, VVD, Messi, Ronaldo, Alisson and another 20 like them its not a competitive sport ;)

I also dont believe in keeping the same 3-4-6 "elite clubs" at the top for evermore either.

Share the TV money, share the CL money around the rest of the league, maybe even share around some of the other incomes, although I think its only right that each club keeps what it generates through the turnstiles and through locally purchased merchandise, at the very least. Make the incomes less disparate from Bournemouth to Man United. Maybe even look into how a draft system make work out (not saying it will BTW).

Also make the CL groups non-seeded, so if Liverpool, Real, Barca and Bayern end up in one group, hard cheese get on with it, instead of a pyramid system designed to keep the 6-8 mega clubs apart until the semis.

Stop the elite clubs dictating to the rest in Europe and in the Premiership with this "well if we dont get what we get, we'll form a European super league", and start spreading most of the wealth year after year, so other clubs dont have to make as much a leap.

Fair enough, Liverpool/United/Arsenal etc fans want to see their money go to their own clubs and not to others when they buy tickets, shirts etc, but if more of the advertising/TV/CL "neutral" money comes into the game, split it more evenly.

But, I want it to be a sport and not just a billionaire's plaything as a route to making them famous or sports-washing to make a certain emirate to look like "good eggs". That is not a sport.
Cracking post that I don’t disagree with any of.

The problem is, is that it’s fantasy land, I don’t think we’ll ever get the situation you propose, I hate to say it but it’s dead as a sport.

The money at the UEFA/FIFA level is too great and the chance of a genuine supporter being a billionaire and having the patience to do it within the rules are virtually nil.

I would add Leicester in to that list of clubs getting success through money as their behaviour getting out of the Championship was not exactly innocent.

D

Deleted member 16999

Great game on BT Sport3 at the moment, Cologne v Bayern, Bayern currently 3-0 up after 12 minutes, still 3-0 after 39 minutes but it’s a proper footballing display, and they’ve hit the woodwork 3 times.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 70’s & 80’s when you dominated Europe? Highest Profile of all English Clubs, Most successful English Club etc...Players recruited from Africa and Australia? Are you sure it was just UK?

You were competing in the World Club Championship more than 10yrs ago, you’ve never finished lower than 8th, I don’t think you’re truly reflecting the position LPool were in for the period prior to the last 10yrs.

PS. You are owned by foreign billionaires.

Come on, if your not going to look at the different profiles of how the different owners have acted, its disingenuous.

Abramovic and Mansour "loaned" hundreds of millions to their clubs, if not more than a billion.

The Glazers did theirs as a leveraged buyout.

FSG arent even going to loan us the money to build the Anny road end (fair enough). What they have done is professional make over our club, seek more (genuine) sponsors, and over 10 years slowly but surely turned our club around, and not with tonnes of their own money.

Yes we were successful in the 70's and 80's and is some of the reasons for our worldwide support, Istanbul being another. BUT we didnt commercially "exploit" it for decades the way united did with their worldwide support and profile.

In another post you said you still want it to be a sport, but in another more than happy to shortcut it again by just going down the sugar daddy route?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cracking post that I don’t disagree with any of.

The problem is, is that it’s fantasy land, I don’t think we’ll ever get the situation you propose, I hate to say it but it’s dead as a sport.

The money at the UEFA/FIFA level is too great and the chance of a genuine supporter being a billionaire and having the patience to do it within the rules are virtually nil.

I would add Leicester in to that list of clubs getting success through money as their behaviour getting out of the Championship was not exactly innocent.

It may well be, but things change and unless you talk about options , propose and fight for them things will stay as the status quo.

In the last 25 years, off the top of my head, we have had restrictions on amount of foreigner players in a team/squad, owner checks (okay that one was a joke),Bosman ruling,FFP, VAR and possibly a few other things.

Some may have worked, some not, some partially, but unless we try and change you may as well give up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Harsh result for Villa but that was proper pub league defending at the end there. Cracking game though. Reina looked a very good signing for Villa based on that display.

D

Deleted member 16999

Come on, if your not going to look at the different profiles of how the different owners have acted, its disingenuous.

Abramovic and Mansour "loaned" hundreds of millions to their clubs, if not more than a billion.

The Glazers did theirs as a leveraged buyout.

FSG arent even going to loan us the money to build the Anny road end (fair enough). What they have done is professional make over our club, seek more (genuine) sponsors, and over 10 years slowly but surely turned our club around, and not with tonnes of their own money.

Yes we were successful in the 70's and 80's and is some of the reasons for our worldwide support, Istanbul being another. BUT we didnt commercially "exploit" it for decades the way united did with their worldwide support and profile.

In another post you said you still want it to be a sport, but in another more than happy to shortcut it again by just going down the sugar daddy route?
You have to put in context the post I was answering, Phil was making it look like you had a period of troubles and languishing in mid-table, I disagreed based on the success on the pitch. Yes you had issues with owners.
You won far more in the previous 10yrs of FSG than you have since they took over.
I’m sure if there’s now a discussion on financial stability alone then yes FSG look to have done a great job(which I have already acknowledged)
My point is, what does the average man in the street want, trophies or money in the bank?
As for my sugar daddy v Sport, again I’ve stated the Sport alone is now fantasy and ffp is not working, therefore until we have the situation you described, good luck to those who may get or benefit from a said sugar daddy.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Harsh result for Villa but that was proper pub league defending at the end there. Cracking game though. Reina looked a very good signing for Villa based on that display.
Ye agree agree was unlucky for Villa, but important 3 points, big game coming up against Chelsea.

D

Deleted member 16999

It may well be, but things change and unless you talk about options , propose and fight for them things will stay as the status quo.

In the last 25 years, off the top of my head, we have had restrictions on amount of foreigner players in a team/squad, owner checks (okay that one was a joke),Bosman ruling,FFP, VAR and possibly a few other things.

Some may have worked, some not, some partially, but unless we try and change you may as well give up.
Unfortunately mate I don’t think the FIFA/UEFA monopoly will ever change, no matter how much we’d want it to.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Toon Army putting out a very strong team against Arsenal.
Looking forward to the next 2 hours ⚽️?⚽

odd looking Arsenal side, almost as if we dont have any one who can defend so wont try and pick any lol so brought in ceballos for torreira as well as pepe and nketiah for martinelli and lacazette too

maybe more a case of Arteta having a look at a few who havent had much game time