Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

It would all be nice if everyone supported their local team, but as we know that’s not always the case. I think the more passionate fan will support their local team and would get involved with the club/community whereas the generic fan will support whoever is successful/likeable when they start to follow football.

I’m from Hartlepool originally, but am a Sunderland fan because my dad is and his dad was when he was alive (they both lived in Sunderland, so were the local team for them anyway). I now live in Southampton, but still call myself a Sunderland fan even though I wouldn’t say I “follow” them anymore...maybe that’s because they’re now in league 1 or maybe it’s because I live the best part of 400 miles away.

I do believe people should follow their local team, unless they have a good reason not to. I do wonder what will happen to all of the kids who grew up in the 90’s and support Man Utd because they were successful....who will they support now?

They all live in Ryhope and Seaham and travel to Utd home games while moaning about Man City.;)

D

Deleted member 1740

As a Forces brat I moved around all over the UK and also the world - I then joined myself and moved all other so had no town I would call local , my current place is the longest I have ever stayed in one place ( 10 years now ) . My dad was also a forces brat and moved around and he ended up supporting where his parents finally settled - I ended up supporting a team because of my mums side.

My mate who I have known for years started supporting Liverpool in the early 80’s because they were popular and he liked Rush - he had no connection , his family were Villa fans - but he went with Liverpool - 30 odd years later he still supports them , We have been to loads of matches over the years - he now lives in Australia but still flies back once or twice a year just to go to a game. It shouldn’t matter why someone starts supporting a team but what should matter Is if they stick with it regardless of what the team goes - but there have been many people over the years who have flipped to teams because they are successful - people who started supporting Man Utd in the 90’s for example them flipped to Chelsea in the 00’s . My brothers two lads support Chelsea - they grew up when they were doing well and their favourite player was playing for them so they will now stick with Chelsea. Stu will always look down on people like me because we aren’t local - he isn’t the first or will be the last and all clubs have them - I have nothing but respect for the local fans who go week in week out - they are the lifeblood of the club , they are what makes it special - but I don’t believe an armchair fan who can’t go week in week out and wasn’t born 5 yards from the ground should be looked down upon. In the modern football world a club can no longer survive or be competitive on just the 50k who go to the match and whilst an armchair who contribute to the club in the same way they will still be a part of the club and contribute in other ways

I've never looked down the nose at anyone in my life for any reason and never would, to suggest i do is wrong.

Just because my opinion differs from yours doesnt mean it's a personal attack.

Wolf

Visit site
I don't buy into the whole support your local side argument especially in the modern era of moving around etc. By that token I should be a Gillingham fan, couldn't think of a worse team to support as growing up they did nothing for local communities and were more known for the chairmans wife shagging the players and doing time for having a raging coke habit, for their star player getting arrested & doing time for stealing cars, fans causing the death of a Fulham fan outside the ground and generally were not welcoming to families. Wasn't exactly a place parents wanted to take kids to, the one time I did go with my then BiL i was 11 years old and and sadly got to see Gills fans lay into a father and son that came down from Sheffield to see Gills v Wednesday in an FA Cup tie. Fortunately things have improved in recent years but they're still not a club many locals gravitate towards.

My grandad was an Arsenal fan and thats who I followed with my allegience as do my kids.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just seen Steve Bruce interviewed on motd and his opening comments were that Newcastle lost because of referreeing decisions ?. I saw the game in full yesterday and he was delusional as usual. Managers constantly slating refs post match, inaccurately, are a big reason VaR was brought in.

On happier note, get in Carlo ??

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Support who you want to support. I 'get' why some think it should be a team near where you were born, equally some pick a team at an early age based on success and media exposure... again, why not. There's no law, although a bit of a stigma from some people.

I was born in Middlesbrough, and went to my first Boro game with my dad in the mid 60's. Although we've lived around the world, and back to the NE, I've never not supported the Boro. I had a season ticket for many years and still try to get to the odd game when we're visiting the NE.

My 3 sons were born in Middlesbrough when we lived there in the mid-late 80's. Even though they left before their 5th birthday they're Boro fans. One of them gets to a few homes games and even more away games every season. I'm pleased he gets to the games but I don't think he deserves a medal for it. He just loves football, and supports the Boro.

But why judge anyone for their allegiance? Does it really matter? Surely we should be more interested that they at least support the sport? Without supporters and banter would the sport survive?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Again I can’t disagree with that, not sure grandads and great grandads rule applies.

Like I said earlier, there’s more to a town/city than a successful football club.

My mate left Liverpool and headed to London early 80’s and has lived down in Wembley ever since, his 3 lads all support Spurs, he wouldn’t let them support Liverpool.

Now that's what I call proper parenting. :p

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Maybe it's an age thing? Not because we are shouting at clouds (though maybe we are), but because if you are of a certain age there was more regional identity and pride than there is now.
Sense of place means so little today. I visited some junior relatives over Christmas. They live in Hove, so are fortunate enough to be within range of a prem club, but one supports city, the other, Spurs. Crazy and a little sad.

Would deffo agree it’s an age regional thing. When we emigrated to Notts around 1970, there were lads who supported Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland, Utd, etc etc etc. Basically miners had come from all over the country and there kids. They brought there support with them. Chuck in Forest and County and the mighty Stags. Then there was the Scots, Rangers and Celtic. Lordy flipping Lordy.

D

Deleted member 15344

I've never looked down the nose at anyone in my life for any reason and never would, to suggest i do is wrong.

Just because my opinion differs from yours doesnt mean it's a personal attack.

That’s not how it comes across though - been lots of comments about armchair fans etc it reads like they are the evil in the game especially in regards VAR

I respect what the club means to you and your investment into the club is something many fans can only dream off but clubs aren’t “local” clubs anymore