Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I see Sky have been going big on the Arteta story and especially Arsenal board members photographed leaving his house in the early hours. Begs the question who knew they were there and were City putting tabs on Arteta? I don't think he's what Arsenal need and can't really see him doing anything to change the situation than Emry did

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see Sky have been going big on the Arteta story and especially Arsenal board members photographed leaving his house in the early hours. Begs the question who knew they were there and were City putting tabs on Arteta? I don't think he's what Arsenal need and can't really see him doing anything to change the situation than Emry did

who do you think we need then Homer?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So the FACT that his assistant has clearly encouraged his players to deliberately foul, you think it is somehow behind the managers back, and despite city's fouls per minutes when outside of possession is one of the highest, you dont think it is how it is playing out that way?

We can all have opinions without facts without necessarily having evidence available especially in subjective situations, allied to using a bit of the grey matter.

I'm sure if you asked premiership fans who they think are the worst at tactical fouling, I think 90% would say city are the worst. It was also said about Barca, when, yes you guessed it, Pep was in charge.

Draw your own conclusions then - what are they? Opinion, without fact will do.

Have you actually read anything I have said. You said Pep don't like it when teams deliberately foul his players. No one else Said it but you. I asked you where Pep has said that. You couldn't answer it. It was your view and your view only. I said, no one else, but me. I said Quote, Pep sends his players out to disrupt opposition teams, players like Fernandinho. I admitted that. That's not rocket science. I admitted that Arteta probably said that. Where did I suggest it was behind the managers back? My guess is he is passing on the managers instructions. I have known for a couple of years that City's fouls per minute is the highest. But back to the origanal comment by you. Pep don't like it when his players are deliberately fouled like his players could others. Nope never read it anywhere but on here.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see the laws changing at some point, so that if it is clear a player slide tackles another player with no intent to win the ball at all, automatic red card. Still yellow for a deliberate shirt pull, but when you see Traore getting hacked down at that pace, it seems only a matter of time before he dislocates something or gets some nasty ligament damage. I wouldn't mind red cards for this. On the flip side, I'd love to see referees NOT giving fouls when it is clear a player who is shielding a ball, awaits any sort of contact from the opposition behind, and then throws themselves to the ground knowing they'll get a free kick. Fair enough if they hack them down from behind, but the defending player just uses this tactic as a Get Out of Jail free card every time when under any sort of pressure.
This I a agree with.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
who do you think we need then Homer?

If those comments on "random irritations" were aimed at me, lets turn it round. Who do you need? If it's Arteta why is he so much better than the manager you've just sacked. Clearly the board are taken with him so why is he so good simply for working with Pep? Granted he'll have learned a lot from him but a lot harder when standing on your own two feet. Why would he be such a good fit?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If those comments on "random irritations" were aimed at me, lets turn it round. Who do you need? If it's Arteta why is he so much better than the manager you've just sacked. Clearly the board are taken with him so why is he so good simply for working with Pep? Granted he'll have learned a lot from him but a lot harder when standing on your own two feet. Why would he be such a good fit?

if the hat fits eh Homie :) my views on the subject been posted enough i bore myself with them lol one day youll actually have an opinion rather than commenting to add another post to your count, glad ive got you a few more tonight ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Palace must be the only London side who cant actually get a proper local rival so had to bob off to the south coast and pretend they dont get on with Brighton because an Eagles better than a Seagull lol. Or am I missing something from 1897?

Wolf

Visit site
Can't say that if Arteta does come out of these talks as our new manager that I'll be overly impressed with it but when you look at what's available, what it costs yo get others in its not a surprise that's what our board would choose. Jury is out on this one for me

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
if the hat fits eh Homie :) my views on the subject been posted enough i bore myself with them lol one day youll actually have an opinion rather than commenting to add another post to your count, glad ive got you a few more tonight ;)
So I asked a direct question on why the board see Arteta as such a good fit and clearly the preferred candidate and what he offers that is so different from Emry and you can't provide a civil answer. What will he bring that is going to be so radical

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So I asked a direct question on why the board see Arteta as such a good fit and clearly the preferred candidate and what he offers that is so different from Emry and you can't provide a civil answer. What will he bring that is going to be so radical

I have absolutely no idea why the board think what they do, theyre the main problem and unless they change at that level Arteta is sadly but the next lamb to the slaughter with the deck stacked against him who will be left to take the blame for the failings of others/the system. Doesnt surprise me they want someone with his profile (never been a manager, ex arsenal, young), they probably think he'll have learnt the whole playbook from Pep (without realising he'll need the oil money too!) but be controllable rather than a more experienced older candidate would be. They may be right but not if they dont give him the right support, which sadly would be out of character.

The better question maybe why does Arteta think its a better job than the one he has, maybe theyre making some unexpected promises

D

Deleted member 1740

Agreed in principle = he will fully commit, or not, after going to the training ground tomorrow and see what he’s got to work with, he may then run a mile ???

It’s a massive coup for them attracting a manager of his ability but this is possibly the worst squad hes had to coach in his career.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Arsenal need someone who can organise the team, Allardyce would be perfect right now.

Arteta is unknown, risky first job though I would say....hardly a free hit, but good to see him taking a risk and stepping out from what is an “easy” job where he currently is.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea why the board think what they do, theyre the main problem and unless they change at that level Arteta is sadly but the next lamb to the slaughter with the deck stacked against him who will be left to take the blame for the failings of others/the system. Doesnt surprise me they want someone with his profile (never been a manager, ex arsenal, young), they probably think he'll have learnt the whole playbook from Pep (without realising he'll need the oil money too!) but be controllable rather than a more experienced older candidate would be. They may be right but not if they dont give him the right support, which sadly would be out of character.

The better question maybe why does Arteta think its a better job than the one he has, maybe theyre making some unexpected promises
So if Arteta is going to be a board puppet or yes man and funds are as notoriously slow to materialise for purchases as normal, what chance does he have and what exactly do the board see that no-one else seems to. He doesn't strike me as being someone with a hugely ruthless streak and so how's he going to manage some of the egos and issues around Ozil and a few others as well as finding a way to get the side playing better and building a better squad? Is it going to be Arsenal are a managerial merry-go-round for the next few years and how likely would it be that the powers that be at the top get changed

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So if Arteta is going to be a board puppet or yes man and funds are as notoriously slow to materialise for purchases as normal, what chance does he have and what exactly do the board see that no-one else seems to. He doesn't strike me as being someone with a hugely ruthless streak and so how's he going to manage some of the egos and issues around Ozil and a few others as well as finding a way to get the side playing better and building a better squad? Is it going to be Arsenal are a managerial merry-go-round for the next few years and how likely would it be that the powers that be at the top get changed

i still dont know what they see in him (see prev post) and still give him little chance unless they make other changes! Ozil really isnt the issue people want to make it (apart from the cost), hes certainly not a big ego for modern football, the only issue is the ludicrous contract the board wrote for him in panic having previously screwed up with Sanchez.

chances of board changes sadly negligible, Stan far too happy not giving a *** from the other side of the Atlantic

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
i still dont know what they see in him (see prev post) and still give him little chance unless they make other changes! Ozil really isnt the issue people want to make it (apart from the cost), hes certainly not a big ego for modern football, the only issue is the ludicrous contract the board wrote for him in panic having previously screwed up with Sanchez.

chances of board changes sadly negligible, Stan far too happy not giving a *** from the other side of the Atlantic
Serious question. Where do you see your club at the end of this season and in three years time