Pre Round Drills

Glenkov

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to this site so apologize if this has been already asked.

I play most weekends and I go to the range before going out and loosen up with my clubs starting with my PW and up to my driver after having a good stretch. I normally hit about 5 balls a club before going onto the next one. While the my irons and wedges seem fine when I hit the course it takes me about 3/4 holes to really get my driving going. Is there any drills or techniques that I try on the range to help loosen my self up or it this going just sort itself out the more I play?

thanks in advance.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you tried saving a few balls and playing imaginary holes on the range at the end of your warm up?

You imagine a hole (first seems good) and set boundaries on the range for the fairway then hit the tee shot. Depending on where that finishes you give yourself a target on the range that replicates what you would have left after your tee shot and hit that shot. Maybe a chip or pitch if you miss your imaginary green, then on to the next hole.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I never hit the range pre-round. I just do some stretches and weighted swings with a 6 and 7 iron in hand. Seems to loosen me up enough let loose with the first drive (which usually "fades" right!)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I make my way to the short game area and work on pitching to the flag from 100 yards in getting progressivley closer until I'm chipping from greenside. Usualy about 15 minutes.

Practice putting green is in the process of being re-laid so thats out of the question at the minute. Usually spend about half and hour on there then off to the 1st tee.

Glenkov

Hacker
Visit site
Have you tried saving a few balls and playing imaginary holes on the range at the end of your warm up?

You imagine a hole (first seems good) and set boundaries on the range for the fairway then hit the tee shot. Depending on where that finishes you give yourself a target on the range that replicates what you would have left after your tee shot and hit that shot. Maybe a chip or pitch if you miss your imaginary green, then on to the next hole.

I normally try and set myself targets and use the markers on the range as a guide for a fairway but never as an actual hole. I'll give that a try :)