Pre-Registration of Supplementary Cards

Swango1980

Visit site
To any handicap secretaries out there, what actions do you take when members post supplementary cards, but there is no sign that they pre-registered?

Due to the Covid situation, I have asked any members wishing to post a supplementary card to e-mail me first (or message me directly via any other means). This has generally worked well, although there are one or two who e-mail me their scorecard without ever having told me they were playing in the first place. Up to now, I have been lenient, as I certainly don't want to appear obstructive. Of course, one thing I'd be looking out for is that I don't get a score from someone that results in a big handicap cut, with no pre-registration, as that could have signs of someone deciding to post a good round after they finish, or being pressured into doing so. So far, this has not been an issue.

In an ideal world, if a player does not pre-register, then the score is not accepted. If they do pre-register, and do not provide a score, then it is a no return and 0.1 increase. At least from an administration point of view. However, as said before, I'm not here to provide barriers for golfers who innocently forget to pre-register for example. Also, having discussed this with England Golf from a WHS perspective, it is my understanding that no scores should be refused, even if pre-registration did not happen. It would be even more difficult by then, as the player will have likely already entered their own score for handicap changes to take effect that night.

So, how do other clubs try an implement this? If all scores are accepted regardless, is it a case of other disciplinary procedures for example? Thanks

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We haven't had to deal with this issue so far since the lockdown release but my inclination is to go with the EG (post WHS) view protem.
In principle, the more current scores the better for WHS transition but I would be very wary of accepting 'outlandish' scores or a second occurrence of 'forgetting to pre declare' after a reminder. Although I'm never too excited about a player's handicap coming down rather than going up. I can live with vanity cappers ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
We haven't had to deal with this issue so far since the lockdown release but my inclination is to go with the EG (post WHS) view protem.
In principle, the more current scores the better for WHS transition but I would be very wary of accepting 'outlandish' scores or a second occurrence of 'forgetting to pre declare' after a reminder. Although I'm never too excited about a player's handicap coming down rather than going up. I can live with vanity cappers ;)
Cheers. Indeed, I'm not to bothered about the vanity golfer individually, except for the possibility their future scores may have on CSS, or the WHS equivalent (especially if we had a several vanity golfers). I'd also be concerned if they were pressured into submitting the score by others, as they may be peer pressured into a lower handicap than they would normally have (given all the 0.1 increases they'd be missing out on when play poorly).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers. Indeed, I'm not to bothered about the vanity golfer individually, except for the possibility their future scores may have on CSS, or the WHS equivalent (especially if we had a several vanity golfers). I'd also be concerned if they were pressured into submitting the score by others, as they may be peer pressured into a lower handicap than they would normally have (given all the 0.1 increases they'd be missing out on when play poorly).
I think the 'replacement' for CSS ie PCC is very unlikely to affect anything. The evidence from around the world suggests that conditions have to be extremely good or poor the calculation to kick in.
Of course supp scores don't involve CSS

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a handicap secretary but if they're not following the correct procedure they shouldn't be used imo.
In normal circumstances I would strongly agree but the present situation causes both the player and the administrators some problems. In addition, I suspect there will be relatively few SSs and cheating would easily spotted. Further, as I said before, more recent scores will be reflected in a better measure of current ability.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
To any handicap secretaries out there, what actions do you take when members post supplementary cards, but there is no sign that they pre-registered?

Due to the Covid situation, I have asked any members wishing to post a supplementary card to e-mail me first (or message me directly via any other means). This has generally worked well, although there are one or two who e-mail me their scorecard without ever having told me they were playing in the first place. Up to now, I have been lenient, as I certainly don't want to appear obstructive. Of course, one thing I'd be looking out for is that I don't get a score from someone that results in a big handicap cut, with no pre-registration, as that could have signs of someone deciding to post a good round after they finish, or being pressured into doing so. So far, this has not been an issue.

In an ideal world, if a player does not pre-register, then the score is not accepted. If they do pre-register, and do not provide a score, then it is a no return and 0.1 increase. At least from an administration point of view. However, as said before, I'm not here to provide barriers for golfers who innocently forget to pre-register for example. Also, having discussed this with England Golf from a WHS perspective, it is my understanding that no scores should be refused, even if pre-registration did not happen. It would be even more difficult by then, as the player will have likely already entered their own score for handicap changes to take effect that night.

So, how do other clubs try an implement this? If all scores are accepted regardless, is it a case of other disciplinary procedures for example? Thanks

If they were told how to pre-register intent and they failed to do that, then I would not accept the score. They go to the first tee with the intention of submitting a Supplementary so they must know what has to be done before play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they were told how to pre-register intent and they failed to do that, then I would not accept the score. They go to the first tee with the intention of submitting a Supplementary so they must know what has to be done before play.
What is the current (as opposed to normal) procedure at your club for players to pre-register

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is the current (as opposed to normal) procedure at your club for players to pre-register

What does that have to do with the system Swango devised at his club? He notified his members how to register for Supplementaries and some didn't bother to follow the guidance. What are you suggesting?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What does that have to do with the system Swango devised at his club? He notified his members how to register for Supplementaries and some didn't bother to follow the guidance. What are you suggesting?
I haven't suggested anything, I just asked a question. What is your point?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have a point. I was merely passing comment on Swango's original post.
You asked me what I was suggesting. Why did you ask me ?

However, Swango has already stated "Also, having discussed this with England Golf from a WHS perspective, it is my understanding that no scores should be refused, even if pre-registration did not happen. "

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

As mean as it is, no registration, no supplementary card. We have to book in before we play so that's not a problem. All members have been emailed the procedures so the must follow them.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
You asked me what I was suggesting. Why did you ask me ?

However, Swango has already stated "Also, having discussed this with England Golf from a WHS perspective, it is my understanding that no scores should be refused, even if pre-registration did not happen. "

Like to see evidence of that as it's not in the guidance that came out.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why if there's new clarification on this it would be good to know where it can be seen.
Swango implied he got from discussions with EG. But they don't usually broadcast things that are advice rather than a change to a handicapping rule.

"Clarifications" are produced by the R&A ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Swango implied he got from discussions with EG. But they don't usually broadcast things that are advice rather than a change to a handicapping rule.

"Clarifications" are produced by the R&A ;)
It was during a discussion, although it was based more on WHS. Practically, under WHS, a player doesn't pre register, enters their own supplementary, handicap record changes, and this only comes to light to handicap secretary a few days later. The handicap sec should not refuse a score for handicap (even if score or scorecard not entered, a score can be entered if found by other means, rather than a simple NR).

So, despite not following pre registration guidelines, their score will still count.

Under CONGU, from an admin point of view, it is easier to refuse score, as that score must always be entered by, or accepted by, the handicap committee before it goes into system. But, not under WHS.

So, given we are a few months from WHS, I don't want to start enforcing a strict policy now, when it will be impossible to enforce from November. Also, I want to give golfers the opportunity to enter as many scores as they wish, to help in their WHS calculation. Never much of an issue before, as supplementary cards were quite rare at our club. However, they have become more popular for members. Also as all scores will be sent via email to me, I fully expect many of the physical scorecards will not have been posted when I get round to filing them away. That is inevitable, and I don't plan in chasing all the players this applies to, deleting scores or disciplining players for a likely innocent oversight