Prayer grip for putter

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Just been trying to get to grips(?) with this topical prayer grip on my putter.
Must say I can't seem to be comfortable with it. Putter seems loose. To correct this looseness, I finish up with a non prayer grip. Almost back to my usual grip.
Think I'll stick with my usual, and concentrate on putter headpath consistency, I.e ensuring upswing on strike etc.
Anyone changed to the prayer grip. . ?
Thoughts?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If it doesn't feel comfortable and doesn't work, don't do it. Nothing seems to mess with peoples head more than putting. I see lots of different grips being used nowadays, but I've stuck with my "traditional" grip as it works for me.
Lots of people will give advice. For me it's maintaining a smooth stroke with a short backswing and longer forward stroke with good follow through as most things are stable under acceleration (a trick I learnt teaching motorbike riding).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If it doesn't feel comfortable and doesn't work, don't do it. Nothing seems to mess with peoples head more than putting. I see lots of different grips being used nowadays, but I've stuck with my "traditional" grip as it works for me.
Lots of people will give advice. For me it's maintaining a smooth stroke with a short backswing and longer forward stroke with good follow through as most things are stable under acceleration (a trick I learnt teaching motorbike riding).
Likewise I've stuck with a traditional grip. But what have recently changed is my putting routine - making it much simpler - plus after taking my stance and when I'm 'ready to go' I almost completely loosen my grip and then gently re-apply pressure - so my grip when I come to make the stroke is with a very much lighter touch than before - just enough to keep control of the putter and loosen up my forearms. And until...it was working great.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've tried plenty of grips (usually briefly) but I always go back to a fairly conventional one. The others always feel weird, and if you thinking about how weird it feels, you're probably not holing more putts.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm a constant fiddler with trying different grips. The version of the prayer grip I've been most successful with (and shot my best score-72) is with each index finger down the sides. I don't usually get to an even hand over hand grip though and end up with my dominant hand (R) at least a little below the left. In my opinion this grip is much better on a larger grip, not a smaller grip....although I can still do it with the smaller grip. When I'm experimenting with different sized grips I buy either some padded tennis grip tape or some self adhesive bandage and build out the grip to the size I want. Heck of a lot cheaper than putting on different "real" grips. When I'm really having some issues with my putting (all in my head of course), I switch to another hand grip and I'm usually comfortable with one of them.....until I'm not.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In all honesty I don't even know if my putter grip is conventional or not..I just grip it the way I've gripped for nigh on 30 years...seems to work most of the time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I presume you have a Two Thumb grip on the club as I thought that this method of holding the club was for those grips.

Mandofred

Visit site
I presume you have a Two Thumb grip on the club as I thought that this method of holding the club was for those grips.
Ahhhh, and this brings us back to my.....let us say.....warped way of thinking. I believe there are better ways and worse ways to grip a putter. Taping it to the side of my head and swinging it back and forth would be a worse way....and likely against the rules. Other than that, a lot of the golf "this is the way you do it" theories are just that....theories. If you can hold the putter comfortably and can swing it in a manner that delivers repeated, consistent swings that put the ball on the line and speed you want...you are good to go. I get a lot of grief from folks who think I change things around too much (and they are likely right). I'm more of an Einstein kind of guy
8a4a4fd632da84c1768429046cda56c7.jpg
. Too many people I play with just think....what the heck just keep swinging, it will fix itself someday. The Fred way of thinking.....if it ain't working.....change something (not randomly, but with a purpose/goal). It might not work.....but it wasn't working before so what do you have to lose?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My take is you can have any grip you like if you play greens that are tour speed.
Most mortals like us may see this a couple of times a year.
But if you play on slower greens where you need to give it a bit of a hit then the conventional grip is best imo.

Mandofred

Visit site
i think you missunderstood what the Op said .... "Thoughts" and "anyone tried it... this is mine
I think you misunderstood....how have I stated otherwise? Lots of choices.....no right answer. In case I have offended....my complaining about golf comment was meant in general.....I complain about golf....constantly. Seems most people do....about a lot of things....

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me the putter grip has a purpose, deliver a square putter face to the ball.

Whatever does that on long, short and medium length putts is a good grip.

I have spent time working on my grip looking for that thing, rather than trying defined methods, I look for what works for me.

It does mean my putter grip varies a bit but it does mean I am always working towards delivering a square face.

My practice/warmup with putting is firstly about getting my grip going and then getting a speed feel.