Practicing with a different putter than I play with...

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
I know this sounds daft but let me explain....

I want to leave a putter at work so that I can practice putting in the office :) as yer do.
I've got an old Ping putter for this as i know if I use my scotty I will inevitably forget to take it home and it wont be there
when I go for a round of golf.

Will it have any detrimentle effect on the putting stroke??? The two putter are very similer style and shape but the ping is a bit lighter
and has a plastic insert... where as the scotty is milled.

Its not like one is a blade and the other is a mallet..

What do you think? would it do more harm than good?

Cheers.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would be tempted to add a bit of lead tape to the head to make it a similar weight to the putter you game. As to the face I expect you will be putting on carpet tiles which would be approx 12 on the stimp so have no relation to the pace of your normal greens so I expect that face material wont be too relevant either. Would just make sure when you get to the course for a game that you make sure you get a feel for the pace of greens before heading out

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Milled face and plastic insert. Surely the feel will be different no matter how closely they match in weight. Like the idea of working on the stroke in work but not something I could do as the patients would get in the way

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I believe that reading a putt correctly is more important than the stroke. It doesn't go in if you read it wrong regardless of the stroke, for that reason you can practice what you like. I agree with Fundy about the pace though... it's hard to practice on fast carpet then suddenly go to slow greens ....and even harder the other way round I believe (you always hear people saying/complaining just how fast they found the greens on a decent course).