Practice - Driving Range

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
With working long hours during the week and having a fairly big commute my practice during the week and at weekends to some extent is very much done on the driving range.

Just wondered what everybody's else's practice routine is like. How often do you visit the range in between rounds? Or do you not no bother with driving ranges and do all your practice on course?

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
During the winter I generally play every Sunday and get to the range once per week.
At the range I work on my swing (I am having lessons at the moment so I have a specific focus for that month). I also try to spend half of my time working on consistent wedge distances as I know that will help my game come the summer months.

Occasionally I will play my course at the range, anticipating where each shot has finished and choosing the next club from there.

Copernicus

Club Champion
Visit site
I too work so in the winter I go to the driving range every Monday with a friend from my club. In winter maybe once more at the range alone (or not - depends what I have on) and then weather dependant try to play social/ practice rounds Sat and/or Sunday. Once it gets light enough to play after work I do the Mondays as usual but then use the practice ground at the club on the way home most nights if I am not playing. I also have an hours lesson most Saturdays.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I go to the driving range almost every Saturday and Sunday as I don't get out on the course often (weather and just had a second kid).
Take my daughter sometimes (she is 3). But prefer to go by myself. I find it helps me a lot when I get on the course as I can trust my swing and know how well I am striking the ball.

The range isn't for everyone, some people can't stand it and see it as wasted time.

But I generally really enjoy being at the range. Gives me a couple of hours out the house by myself too.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine is across the road and I go at lunch.

I just take a couple of clubs and mostly go to have fun and build confidence for the rare times I do actually get to play.

I don't go to work on anything at the moment, just to make sure I don't head out and swing too fast and too hard.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I hit 50 balls a couple of times a week at lunchtimes as it's nice to get some exercise and the practice helps of course. Hit around 20 long shots and 30 wedges to different distances using different shot shapes and flights on the ball. Could happily spend hours on the range if time allowed but it's probably a good thing it doesn't.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I hit 50 balls a couple of times a week at lunchtimes as it's nice to get some exercise and the practice helps of course. Hit around 20 long shots and 30 wedges to different distances using different shot shapes and flights on the ball. Could happily spend hours on the range if time allowed but it's probably a good thing it doesn't.

This is the type of practice I like to try and get in! Nothing too strict.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
putting mat under butchers block in the kitchen,pulls out and slides back in a treat so regular putting practice with a coffee at home,my course is just 2min down the road with good short game area and a net so irregular visits...real practice on the course for me,youll never play that shot again.If I go to the range and hit balls i find myself exhausted or bored and playing any old shot just to empty the bucket

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Been going twice a week religiously all winter, playing once at the weekend.

I go through the bag, 3 balls with each club, wedges to driver and then back to wedges again. I then hit 50 balls at various targets with my wedges.

The tough part for me isn't range work. I've shortened my backswing and am hitting it really, really well. It's taking that work to the course, where I tend to slip straight back into bad habits. Really frustrating.