Powakaddy damaged LCD glass screens...be warned!

bradleywedge

Visit site
Went to play golf on Saturday, took my Powakaddy CT6 out of the car set it up then proceeded to the putting area. At some point between my trolley being taken out of the car and me putting my putter back into the bag after putting the LCD screen has been badly damaged with a big crack in the glass. I have no idea how this has happened, I looked at the screen when I took it out of the car and didn't notice it pushing it to the putting area, so it must have been damaged there.

Anyway, I thought a simple replacement glass would do the trick, I emailed powakaddy and obviously even though the trolley is only 7 months old it wouldn't be covered by the warranty as it was screen damage. They said the whole handle would have to be replaced and referred me to a local service agent.

I have been quoted £120 to have the handle replaced! Totally gobsmacked to be honest that they cant just replace the glass screen without the whole handle. Its not something I can actually afford at the moment (thinking of setting up a just giving page!), but it needs repairing so no alternative really.

Just be aware of this if anyone is contemplating buying one of these from Powakaddy.

edd63bdf54ee932fcd90cff609818319db481f7a.jpg

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Same thing happened to mine, never bothered looking into a replacement as I had heard the story from a friend, remember to stick a bit of tape over the open area to prevent any water ingress.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why should it be covered by warranty? It isn’t a fault , you somehow caused the damage so I think it is wrong to slag of Powakaddy in this instance.
I have no links to Powakaddy?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Duck tape it and leave it. The screen looks like it still works, so I wouldn't be too worried about replacing it.

Adding screens to a golf trolley seems to be an unnecessary 'advancement'. Its just another thing to break or go wrong.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Why should it be covered by warranty? It isn’t a fault , you somehow caused the damage so I think it is wrong to slag of Powakaddy in this instance.

Having a bit of trouble here , where is he slagging Powerkaddy off ? He is just stating his surprise you can not replace the glass , and he states its not a warranty job. He seems to be raising awareness of a possible
weak point is all i see , may be wrong but there we go .

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've read the OP twice and correct me if I'm wrong, but his complaint seems to centre around the fact that Powacaddy can't just supply a replacement glass rather than a complete handle and has nothing to do with the warranty not covering it.

Seems reasonable to me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the same trolley, brand new a couple of weeks ago. Is there anything that can be fitted to avoid this, a cut down hard plastic mobile phone screen protector or something?
Might be worth taking into a local mobile shop that repairs phones, sells cases and the like. They might be able to fashion some sort of protector. Perhaps just a simple film protector might be enough to protect from cracks, spread the impact etc.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've read the OP twice and correct me if I'm wrong, but his complaint seems to centre around the fact that Powacaddy can't just supply a replacement glass rather than a complete handle and has nothing to do with the warranty not covering it.

Seems reasonable to me.
I put para 2 and final para together as a dig at PK, possibly incorrect after a re-read. Apologies if I have misinterpreted- won’t be the first on this forum ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The thing is it is glass, probably toughened glass. That has a history of shattering through no reason what so ever. Google shower screens and patio doors. Could it happen on a power caddy screen. I don’t see why not.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went to play golf on Saturday, took my Powakaddy CT6 out of the car set it up then proceeded to the putting area. At some point between my trolley being taken out of the car and me putting my putter back into the bag after putting the LCD screen has been badly damaged with a big crack in the glass. I have no idea how this has happened, I looked at the screen when I took it out of the car and didn't notice it pushing it to the putting area, so it must have been damaged there.

Anyway, I thought a simple replacement glass would do the trick, I emailed powakaddy and obviously even though the trolley is only 7 months old it wouldn't be covered by the warranty as it was screen damage. They said the whole handle would have to be replaced and referred me to a local service agent.

I have been quoted £120 to have the handle replaced! Totally gobsmacked to be honest that they cant just replace the glass screen without the whole handle. Its not something I can actually afford at the moment (thinking of setting up a just giving page!), but it needs repairing so no alternative really.

Just be aware of this if anyone is contemplating buying one of these from Powakaddy.

edd63bdf54ee932fcd90cff609818319db481f7a.jpg

Golf insurance?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like mentioned about I would be looking for some clear sticky back plastic and just preventing it from being damaged further.

Having a glass screen near to where you place clubs seems an oversight on design as this seems very high risk.

I’m still 50/50 on a leccy trolley but as stated above I use a laser sk would intentionally go for a lower graded model with less to break. Feel for the op though, he must have been gutted.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Ok, just to clear things up and put some balance on this in Powakaddys defence.

They have emailed me back to inform me its not actually a piece of glass covering it is the actual screen, the rear of the screen is bonded to the handle. This would explain the cost to replace it.

Can't really complain about that, pity the damage has happened but its had a gorilla tape repair for now.