Post Impact

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know the critical point in the swing is probably 9" either side of the ball..... But is there a proper way to swing through the ball..... ie.... Should the hands finish high above the shoulder.... Or below the shoulder..... And is this position dictated by swing type?

I'd be interested to hear the views......

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the answer, that and the flexibility of the player.

Thinking this myself Lump..... Went for a lesson last Wednesday night and my Pro gave me one drill to do for the next 3 months.... If to go back the end of January..... Basically I'm supposed to throw the club out in front of me..... Through the ball..... At the moment I'm swinging left through impact a little too soon..... He reckons that I need to keep the face squared for longer through the ball and the way to get this is to swing out after the ball...

My problem is it feels very disconnected and feels like I'm falling over when trying it....

I'm just wondering does swing type and body type dictate a player being able or unable to achieve that position....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
This.

Angle of attack, path, exit direction, VSP, type of release, intent, physical restriction, all these things play a part.

How then do you know what's what James... Should a player swinging more around their bodies be swinging left straight away after impact.. Arms and hands following the body rotation... As opposed to a player swinging more up and down and going out after the ball...... And is one bad for the other... ie... A more rounded swing going out after the ball with the arms and hands not following the body rotation....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's a little bit like a puzzle..... you get 9 pieces of the puzzle on the backswing and downswing and the last piece is handed to you at impact.

Different puzzle (pieces) for different swings.

If you're swinging left too soon there HAS to be a reason.... that's the cause..... it doesn't go away by trying to fix it..... you have to fix the cause. Bit like fixing the leaky tap rather than adding towels to sop up the mess.

Video, video and video are the only possible internet solution.

Not my favourite... but good vid nevertheless....

[video=youtube;bv79mrSwTfo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv79mrSwTfo[/video]

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know the critical point in the swing is probably 9" either side of the ball..... But is there a proper way to swing through the ball..... ie.... Should the hands finish high above the shoulder.... Or below the shoulder..... And is this position dictated by swing type?

I'd be interested to hear the views......

Generally speaking a high finish indicates that the club has remained on line after contact with the ball. Someone who comes over the top for example will tend to have a flatter finish to the swing because the club has cut across the target line on its out to in plane.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heres a few Pics from the other night..... Iv stopped it at the various positions that im trying to achieve..... Apologies for the picture quality......

I know its supposed to feel weird making changes.... But this feels totally alien to me.....:lol:

Left hand frame is before the changes... Right hand is after the changes..... Exaggerated a slight bit but more or less what im working on......

vlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h47m48s103.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h48m24s179.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h48m55s236.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h49m21s135.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h49m43s204.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h50m39s24.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h50m53s136.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h51m08s50.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h51m24s181.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h51m37s99.jpgvlcsnap-2013-11-10-19h51m37s99.jpg

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You swing left because you have to, your set-up is wrong.. if you swing down the line you will feel like you are going to fall/step forwards because your weight is too much towards your toes. You swing left with a high right shoulder as part of a process of not falling over. I'd guess you also struggle to keep your head behind the ball and to have any 'secondary' tilt at impact. Early extension is your friend right now :p

Swinging down the line isn't going to fix your set-up.

Get your posture correct and you could have a great swing.... I said COULD :p

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
You swing left because you have to, your set-up is wrong.. if you swing down the line you will feel like you are going to fall/step forwards because your weight is too much towards your toes. You swing left with a high right shoulder as part of a process of not falling over. I'd guess you also struggle to keep your head behind the ball and to have any 'secondary' tilt at impact. Early extension is your friend right now :p

Swinging down the line isn't going to fix your set-up.

Get your posture correct and you could have a great swing.... I said COULD :p

What im curios about James is why this hasnt been pointed out to me by my Pro..... Seems a bit strange that im being told to get into these positions when the root cause isnt being addressed.... Sorry for the Pun...:lol:

The head behind the ball part is quite funny.... As when i feel like im doing this it feels like im scooping at the ball rather than going down after it......
This kind of arched bending over you see in so many supple players and pros where its like they are looking out under the ball after impact i find very hard to to..... It actually hurts my back to try and stay bent rather than be standing straight up after hitting the ball....

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
does it matter what happens after you've hit the ball?

Moe Norman, Arnold Palmer, Seve, Luke Donald all have different finishes all dictated by their posture, swing and physique, but all looked very similar at impact:thup:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
does it matter what happens after you've hit the ball?

:thup:

In a certain way i think it does Pal..... Im pretty consistent from backswing to impact..... As you can see above its after the ball has gone i get a bit narrow.... Now when im playing well its not so much an issue.... And oddly enough iv managed to find a way to draw the ball with my 3 wood and driver when i try..... But when im off im loosing the ball straight right which isnt a good thing...... Im a good iron player but i need to get better with the driver and what i get away with playing with the irons i dont fair out so well with a driver....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What im curios about James is why this hasnt been pointed out to me by my Pro..... Seems a bit strange that im being told to get into these positions when the root cause isnt being addressed....

I would really, really, really, really like to know the answer to that myself.

I understand the drill you are being shown and in a small way I think it could benefit you in the long term.... but not with that set-up, you could be there forever and not hit the ball well if you're off balance. You have to fix the cause not the symptom.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would really, really, really, really like to know the answer to that myself.

I understand the drill you are being shown and in a small way I think it could benefit you in the long term.... but not with that set-up, you could be there forever and not hit the ball well if you're off balance. You have to fix the cause not the symptom.

Agreed...... I think now its time to sort this myself once and for all rather than paying..... Seems a bit strange the way things are going at the moment...... In fairness I think the posture should be an easy enough quick fix to do.... I know the drill I'm doing at the moment will take time.....

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kid, the picture 9 of 11 on the right looks a bit weird to me. Looks like you haven't released the club head at all.

Thtas just an exaggerated position pal.... I didn't even have a ball in the right hand pics because I was going through the positions that I need to get comfortable doing.....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you sort your posture then the swing you currently have won't work..... but the new method WILL, eventually.

That's the hard bit to grasp... people change their posture then can't hit the ball... and before you know it they are back to what they used to do. Having the posture correct (step 1) will be the only way you'll ever be able to do step 2, 3, 4, 5 correctly.

As an aside...

The pic on the right is better than the left. The left hip is kicked forwards allowing the head to stay behind the ball (spine tilt) and the hands to be more forwards - looks spot on :thup:

7I3ldzL.gif

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you sort your posture then the swing you currently have won't work..... but the new method WILL, eventually.

That's the hard bit to grasp... people change their posture then can't hit the ball... and before you know it they are back to what they used to do. Having the posture correct (step 1) will be the only way you'll ever be able to do step 2, 3, 4, 5 correctly.

As an aside...

The pic on the right is better than the left. The left hip is kicked forwards allowing the head to stay behind the ball (spine tilt) and the hands to be more forwards - looks spot on :thup:

7I3ldzL.gif

Ya.... Just need to make sure I also keep my backside against the imaginary wall too to stop the EE.... At least then ill be able to swing through properly without having to stand up so fast......