Post Impact

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So... work on your posture... take the club up on the plane that you did in that practice swing (not around your shins), and as you start your downswing think about your head staying behind the ball..... a lot behind the ball, whilst your hands get forwards and your right shoulder turns more down.... and then diagonally.

If you want to turn your shoulders down properly (right shoulder comes down then out to the ball) then you need to watch the first 1min 25sec of this video....where he says the swing is 1.2.3

[video=youtube;rp4EN5bc3yg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=rp4EN5bc3yg[/video]

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers pal.... Really appreciate it..... It probably sounds a whole lot worse than it really is..

From what I can take is that if the posture gets sorted id imagine most if not all the rest should start falling into place..... I must have weird hand eye coordination to be able to even hit the ball:lol:....

I'm off to the range again this evening after work so I'll work on the above..... :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know the critical point in the swing is probably 9" either side of the ball..... But is there a proper way to swing through the ball..... ie.... Should the hands finish high above the shoulder.... Or below the shoulder..... And is this position dictated by swing type?

I'd be interested to hear the views......

Whatever makes that 18" the best for you imo! If you look at Pros, there are several (at least 3) different ways, so I don't believe that a particular way is 'best' overall.

Btw. I'd say it's 2-3 feet before impact and 18" after. Maybe just my way of hitting through (rather than at) the ball though.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever makes that 18" the best for you imo! If you look at Pros, there are several (at least 3) different ways, so I don't believe that a particular way is 'best' overall.

Btw. I'd say it's 2-3 feet before impact and 18" after. Maybe just my way of hitting through (rather than at) the ball though.

The funny thing is though pal..... You can see from what James has seen there are issues... And I know fir every action there's a reaction..... I play very well when my timing is right.... There's things that I can change though that will make my swing more efficient..... At the moment to the naked eye it probably looks fine... And I don't care how it looks... What I'm after is one that repeats without too many compensations.... I'm at a stage now where it can be rectified and I learn more and more every time someone sees something different.....

What has me baffled is why after 8 lessons these things haven't been highlighted... Seems a bit strange.....
If it's a case that I can't achieve these changes that I need to then I'll just pick away at it until I'm happy that it won't break down under pressure....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You can't have a good swing when you do this... (well it's damn hard to)

2xjGwlc.gif

and that's the bottom line.

The only question is.... do you want a good swing? If you do then don't swing like that... if you don't care then don't worry any more and just carry on as you are.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can't have a good swing when you do this... (well it's damn hard to)

2xjGwlc.gif

and that's the bottom line.

The only question is.... do you want a good swing? If you do then don't swing like that... if you don't care then don't worry any more and just carry on as you are.

Well contrary to some on here telling me I should stop looking for a nice swing I feel that it's a knock on effect of getting in good positions.... The swing will look somewhat ok of I'm swinging the way I should be......

And some may argue that my swing looks fine as it is and to just tweek here and there.....

What I want is reliability.... And if I have to go through 6 months again of changes then so be it.... As you said yourself I did a great job of getting to 9 with this swing but I think the main reason was I'm a good putter and I have a decent short game..... I won't lie.... I had a 2 way miss and I wasn't impressed when I wasn't hitting the ball well.... I dontvwant another year of that pal...

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The takeaway IMO is one of the easiest pieces of your swing to change. Its just repetition of the correct movement and it will make such a massive difference to your swing. NO if's or buts, it will help..... How do I know? I use to do the exact same thing, I'd pick the club up and take it straight inside (But unlike you, I threw the club at the top as a result). Once I got rid of this movement, changing other parts of my swing became childs play.
You should be able to change it within a couple of range sessions.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
The takeaway IMO is one of the easiest pieces of your swing to change. Its just repetition of the correct movement and it will make such a massive difference to your swing. NO if's or buts, it will help..... How do I know? I use to do the exact same thing, I'd pick the club up and take it straight inside (But unlike you, I threw the club at the top as a result). Once I got rid of this movement, changing other parts of my swing became childs play.
You should be able to change it within a couple of range sessions.

Thanks for the heads up pal... And my other post was in no way directed at you either about people telling me I should play what I have.... It's when I get posts from people that have been through similar issues as me it lifts me to know it's not so bad and that it shouldn't be too hard to achieve.. Cheers :thup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I wonder what people would think of Furyk swing if they saw it for the first time without knowing who he was !

A swing is a means to get the ball flight you want - you could have the ugliest swing in the world and be in no coaching manual but if the ball flight is what you want then it doesn't matter.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wonder what people would think of Furyk swing if they saw it for the first time without knowing who he was !

A swing is a means to get the ball flight you want - you could have the ugliest swing in the world and be in no coaching manual but if the ball flight is what you want then it doesn't matter.

To a point I agree with you.... My ball flight is good.... I'm not a short hitter and iv a decent short game.... But when I'm off it's ugly........ But the difference between furyk and me is that his body works with his swing.... Mine at the moment is working against me.....

Iv lost so many shots left and right off the tees this season that my iron play and short game soared to a point I didn't care if I hit or missed greens.....

I got so much practice from the army golf it actually worked in my favour...:lol:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Furyk was a state champion at 18yrs old, between the ages of 13/16 I'm sure lots of people probably wanted to change his swing but he kept knocking in great scores as he improved.... unlike Kid2 who probably doesn't have a PB less than 75. If he was banging in 67's every week I'd tell him not to change, unless it was hurting his body.

Wanting to improve and tinkering with your swing is part of this game. No one that I know of just picked up a set of clubs then set about shooting their PB without tinkering in some way.

D

Deleted member 15344

Furyk was a state champion at 18yrs old, between the ages of 13/16 I'm sure lots of people probably wanted to change his swing but he kept knocking in great scores as he improved.... unlike Kid2 who probably doesn't have a PB less than 75. If he was banging in 67's every week I'd tell him not to change, unless it was hurting his body.

Wanting to improve and tinkering with your swing is part of this game. No one that I know of just picked up a set of clubs then set about shooting their PB without tinkering in some way.

I don't tinker with my swing but keep on improving

Tinkering with the swing is not always the answer , finding the perfect swing is not always the answer

Finding the right ball flight is the answer - regardless how the swing looks.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Tinkering with the swing is not always the answer , finding the perfect swing is not always the answer

So why doesn't his PGA professional that he has lessons with just tell him to sod off and use the swing he has?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

Looking at my swing from outside the box it probably looks ok.... Tempo and rhythm look fine.... But Its not functioning the way I would like it to..... I can stand on one tee and hit a lovely big high draw.... Then on the following hole stand on the tee again setup for the same shot and hit it straight right..... This is what I'm trying to minimise..... Conversely I can stand open and hit a cut when I want.... The reason I can do this is that I come back to the ball pretty much on the same plane I had at address..... But.... This is all heavily dependent on timing..... And if it's off I'm missing left and right which isn't nice...... I'm also aware that there no such thing as a perfect swing and I'm not looking for a swing that looks nice..... I want a functional repeatable reliable swing.... I want to get to CAT 1 and I want to maintain it..... Anything I put my hand at I'll always try and achieve the best I possibly can with it... I wouldnt say I'm a perfectionist..... I believe there are flaws in all things if you look deep enough... But it's minimizing these is the goal for me..... My swing plane was a major change for me as I was throwing the club at outside the plane at the top... Iv stopped doing this since taking the lessons and worked hard on a better swing plane..
I'm still only 39 so I believe now is the right time to change this....

Will I ever be happy? Probably not.... If I reach 5 I'll probably want to get to 3 and so on..... It's just the way I am... And I hope I don't sound cocky or arrogant but I know I'm good enough to get there..... I don't just want to hack it around the course.... I want to play my ball around the course....

I respect the people that say play with what you have..... But I'm doing this and I'm not happy with having to play army golf...... Don't get me wrong..... I'm not all over the course..... But when you clip a drive straight down the middle of a fairway on one hole that leaves you with a mid or short iron approach and a few hole later you miss so far right on a whole that instead of that mid iron you've a hybrid or long iron just in get back in play it gets a bit annoying..... Ok I'm probably looking for something that my handicap at the moment doesn't warrant.... But that's the whole point of me working to get a better more reliable swing.....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So why doesn't his PGA professional that he has lessons with just tell him to sod off and use the swing he has?

I have a mate off 2 or 3 who was told exactly that - but to improve his short game!

In Kid's case - who will always be a tinkerer imo - the Pro may have a plan. That would be the thing I'd suggest Kid digs for. The low/inside takeaway is relatively easy to fix, so may not be a priority (though would seem sensible to fix asap to me).

It also may be somewhat 'cultural'. I find English trainers tend to be a bit more oriented to getting the backswing correct, while Irish ones may well be looking at Flight (the other end). I'm unconvinced that a 'perfect' backswing is essential, or even highly desirable. As in the OP, it's the impact zone that is where things count. Obviously, anything that can make achieving this easier every time is highly desirable - within the constraints and traits of the individual!