Pocket on golf tops

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m referring to the chest pocket on many golf tops, both mid layers and waterproof tops. I believe it is for the scorecard, but does anyone actually use it? I have never seen anyone put anything in the pocket and can’t think of anything more useless on an item of clothing. Does anyone use Thai pocket?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Never had a pocket on any golf top I've ever had
Had a small pocket as you describe on the occasional 't' shirt or polo, mostly used as somewhere to hang sunglasses when indoors

Jason.H

Visit site
Yesterday 1st time carrying this weekend and had my scorecard in my back trouser pocket. After 18 holes it looked pretty battered. I will go back to using my scorecard holder and put it in my bag as it’s a bit too big for my pocket.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I’m referring to the chest pocket on many golf tops, both mid layers and waterproof tops. I believe it is for the scorecard, but does anyone actually use it? I have never seen anyone put anything in the pocket and can’t think of anything more useless on an item of clothing. Does anyone use Thai pocket?

Following a group in a comp yesterday, the same pair dropped their scorecard twice, we picked it up both times. 2nd time I suggested to the chap he use the zip pocket on the chest of his top......

It's not something I've used though, generally put it in a leather scorecard holder.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't use it for a scorecard. Not sure it's even big enough. I think only one of my midlayers has that sideways zip pocket up there but I wouldn't use it for anything. I have a system with the trouser pockets. :LOL::geek: Front left is scorecard & phone, front right tees and golf ball, back right pitch repairer, marker & pencil, back left for glove when putting & chipping. No need for an extra one on my top. :p

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's the most useless design in the world......plenty of tops have one and plenty of tops don't have ordinary pockets which are far more useful

D-S

Visit site
Really good phone pocket when wearing not for golf, good place for a scorecard and pencil when playing golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do but it really frustrates me that many manufacturers put the pocket on the right hand side of the jacket which makes it harder to reach in with my right hand (hard to get in to with a glove on my left hand).

On the jackets I have without the pocket I really do miss it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it’s there more as a design thing really to make the top look more appealing.
I think it works too
About 5-6 years ago I went to a Footjoy, new product gathering, Tashy did it as well but in a different time slot. Anyway, one of the jackets had this pocket and I asked what the point of it was. The Footjoy guy sheepishly suggested it was for putting your scorecard, at which point the whole group gave him 'the look', at which point he laughed and did accept that it was more a design feature to break up the look of the top. So, one the whole, I think you are right, and I agree with you (y).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got that pocket on a few tops and my waterproof jacket.never used on any of them, back pocket of my trousers, or the rear back pocket of my waterproof jacket.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got that pocket on a few tops and my waterproof jacket.never used on any of them, back pocket of my trousers, or the rear back pocket of my waterproof jacket.
You have a rear back pocket on a golf jacket? What is that for? That's even stranger (until you give a great answer and I become wiser :LOL:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have a rear back pocket on a golf jacket? What is that for? That's even stranger (until you give a great answer and I become wiser :LOL:)
I had a jacket like that once, years ago. Had a big zip pocket on the back of it. I don't know how you were supposed to use it when it was behind you! Daft idea.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a GG, the lined waterproofs have or at least had the lower back zip pocket. The paclite were had side pockets. Though this is 5 years old now
Tbh it's ideal for a scorecard, you can't feel it unlike the one on the front chest pocket.

sunshine

Visit site
I had a jacket like that once, years ago. Had a big zip pocket on the back of it. I don't know how you were supposed to use it when it was behind you! Daft idea.

The big zip pocket at the back is to pack away the jacket. You can turn it inside out and fold the whole jacket into it. So it becomes a compact little rectangle that is easy to store.

sunshine

Visit site

This is a great question and a great thread... never understood how this could be useful. Also learnt something new, I didn't know it was called a Thai pocket.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
See it a lot on mid layers and waterproofs but not seen it that often on polo shirts. I never use it on the few items I have with it and to be honest I don't normally buy items with this type of pocket although it seems a default now on waterproof tops and most midlayers. The ones I have tended to be presents